Caribbean Cruise choices

CCKelly

We are thinking of trying Seabourne for the first time for a short 7 day Caribbean cruise in December on the Spirit. There are two itineraries quite similar but several different ports. We have little knowledge of the small Caribbean islands (only been to USVI previously) so looking for your thoughts on which islands are your favorites. Both cruises begin and end at St. Thomas:

Dec 2: Deshaies, Guadeloupe; St. John's Antigua; Gustavia, St. Barts; Marigot, St. Martin; Prickly Pear Island

Dec. 9: Fort-de-France, Martinique; St. Kitts and Nevis; Jost Van Dyke, BVI; Gustavia, St. Barts, and Prickly Pear

We like beautiful scenery, would like to try some easy kayaking and snorkeling, a nice boat tour, small charming towns, old churches and buildings. We are not into shopping too much.

Which of these cruises would you all recommend? Thanks for your help.

Not convinced about Guadeloupe. I was there once on a non-cruise vacation and, while the rain forest and volcano are very interesting, the rest of the island did not impress me.

On the other hand, I loved Marigot, St Martin. You really feel like you are in the south of France. We had a lovely meal sitting out by the harbor and my better half has to drag me away from the boulangerie. There are also some nice beaches on the French side (European dress rules in effect).

We will be visiting St. John's and St. Barts in November. I have read up on both and they sound quite interesting. Cannot really help you for the others.

I'm a scuba diver; I usually see the islands from underwater. But I must say, in three Caribbean cruises on Seabourn (all of which I loved), Guadeloupe was the biggest disappointment. All it had going for it was a charming bell tower and a rooster that crowed. If you blink, you'll miss the town.

I love Martinique, I love the southern Caribbean. Prickly Pear is fantastic for Seabourn's amazing beach barbeque.

St. Martin has a charming horseback ride excursion. I really enjoyed it. And St. Bart's has lots to offer.

We are thinking of trying Seabourne for the first time for a short 7 day Caribbean cruise in December on the Spirit. There are two itineraries quite similar but several different ports. We have little knowledge of the small Caribbean islands (only been to USVI previously) so looking for your thoughts on which islands are your favorites. Both cruises begin and end at St. Thomas:

Dec 2: Deshaies, Guadeloupe; St. John's Antigua; Gustavia, St. Barts; Marigot, St. Martin; Prickly Pear Island

Dec. 9: Fort-de-France, Martinique; St. Kitts and Nevis; Jost Van Dyke, BVI; Gustavia, St. Barts, and Prickly Pear

We like beautiful scenery, would like to try some easy kayaking and snorkeling, a nice boat tour, small charming towns, old churches and buildings. We are not into shopping too much.

Which of these cruises would you all recommend? Thanks for your help.

We have visited all the ports you mention--we like St Barts, St Martin--both are lots of fun. The sleeper for us is Antigua--beautiful island with a lot of history--the Island tour is my favorite for the Caribbean--but I'm a big history buff! I like your Dec 2nd trip the best. Don

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm leaning toward the Dec 2nd cruise, but I think the Dec 9th cruise woiuld also be fine, since all the ports wold be new places for us to viist in any case.

I have to say it's sooooooo tough when the choice is between two Seabourn cruises in the Caribbean in December, does make me remember how fortunate many of us are.

Could anyone tell me how the payment of shore excursions with Seabourn works? If we were to book shore excursions on their website before the cruise (I assume this is possible), does payment have to be made with a credit card, or can payment be deferred and paid with OBC once on board? If you reserve an excursion and change your mind, how long ahead of time do you need to cancel a shore excursion?

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm leaning toward the Dec 2nd cruise, but I think the Dec 9th cruise woiuld also be fine, since all the ports wold be new places for us to viist in any case.

I have to say it's sooooooo tough when the choice is between two Seabourn cruises in the Caribbean in December, does make me remember how fortunate many of us are.

Could anyone tell me how the payment of shore excursions with Seabourn works? If we were to book shore excursions on their website before the cruise (I assume this is possible), does payment have to be made with a credit card, or can payment be deferred and paid with OBC once on board? If you reserve an excursion and change your mind, how long ahead of time do you need to cancel a shore excursion?

The excursions are paid for in your on board account so OBC can be used for that. Cancellation is allowed and announcements are made regarding the cancellation time.

If this is your first Seabourn cruise you should look into getting a guest referral coupon--would give you a $400 ship board credit to pay for the tours you are considering--just look at the sticky site for referral coupons! There seen to be plenty avalable--if you go on the thread I sure you will get a response. Don

Archived