Shuttles, Cabs, & Trains in Rome

amc aaa

We are sailing on the Equinox Oct. 23 from Rome. My travel agent insists we can manage from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port on the train. I am worried about dragging my luggage along and getting lost. Does anyone have an opinion on Shuttles, vs the Train? Thanks June

We are sailing on the Equinox Oct. 23 from Rome. My travel agent insists we can manage from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port on the train. I am worried about dragging my luggage along and getting lost. Does anyone have an opinion on Shuttles, vs the Train? Thanks June

This site shows you exactly how to do it by train (complete with pictures)

http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm

How old physcially are you ? Good hips, arthritis etc? How strong are you?

How much luggage? What time is your flight (duration)?

Ok you have answered these questions. If you are in good shape, have minimal wheeled luggage and are not jet lagged, then yes the trains (FCO-Rome-Rome to Port) are doable.

Celebrity has shuttle buses @ FCO- on day of sailing. Personally we (2 couples) used RomeCabs for FCO-Port, Port to Rome & Rome to FCO. No problem, they were exactly where they said they would meet us-early-so they waited for us not VV. Vechicles were clear, modern AC, drivers personable. On p.u from FCO to port we asked our driver "Diana" if we could stop/she knew of somewhere to buy wine etc. No problem took us to COOP in Citavecchia. No extra charge.

Carole

My husband and I were 27 and 30 going from port to Rome and we wouldn't have considered dragging all that luggage onto the train, from the train to the bus, and to the hotel. Believe me lugging that luggage down the hall to the hotel room, etc. is far enough! :o

We also used Rome Cabs with Stefano BOTH ways Port-Hotel then Hotel-FCO and felt it was money well spent. Besides, can the train give you advice on the best gelato and pizza places in the city? NO!

I can't believe your TA would try to push you to take the train!

We're flying from the middle of the US to Rome and we know we'll be exhausted. We booked Romecabs to pick us up at the airport and I from all the great reviews I fully anticipate they'll be there with our name on a sign waiting for us.

Now, to get to the port, you could go on your sailings roll call and try to find someone to share a private ride to the port. That would save money.

Take the train. I haven't taken the train to the port yet (will in a few weeks though) but have traveled extensively through Europe via trains. They are convenient, a great way to see the countryside, and cheap.

If you are physically unable to carry your luggage, take a cab. But it will probably cost you an extra 80+ Euros. Train to Civitavecchia from Termini is about 12 euros. A cab for two was close to a 100.

Take the train. I haven't taken the train to the port yet (will in a few weeks though) but have traveled extensively through Europe via trains. They are convenient, a great way to see the countryside, and cheap.

If you are physically unable to carry your luggage, take a cab. But it will probably cost you an extra 80+ Euros. Train to Civitavecchia from Termini is about 12 euros. A cab for two was close to a 100.

Check the websites of those that have been offered for private transport and understand that public transportation is cheaper as a comparative alternative.

All the best. Have a great trip.:)

Depending on what time you arrive in Rome, I believe there are direct trains from the airport to Rome Termini station, it may then be worth getting a cab from there to your hotel if you don't know how to gt to your hotel, this would certainly be cheaper but more messing about.

Have never been to Civitavecchia, but from previous posts this is a ten minute walk to the port shuttle bus or approx 15 euros in a taxi.

If you can find a reasonably priced private transportation company, I would go with that. We were in Rome for 2 days on a cruise and used Italy Limousine for our tours both days. I am not sure if they do transport from Rome to Civitavecchia but you could check with them. I worked with Josephine and she was fantastic and very helpful. With that said, the trains in Italy can be a bit unreliable as they frequently go on strike. I would be too nervous to rely on the trains for boarding my ship. Also as the other posters say, you have to lift and carry all of your own luggage.

Thanks everyone! You have helped us make our decision. We will check out the shuttles mentioned. Someone brought up the question of how long we will be flying before we arrive. It will be an over night flight from Vancouver, BC with one stop. That was the decision maker, a long flight plus arriving in a city we have never been to before, I think shuttle is the answer. The travel agent is a bit younger and more traveled than us...Thanks again Everyone! June

Archived