free children's places on QM2

cclarke12

Hi - I thought I would post as this might be useful for someone. Cunard don't seem to advertise free children's places very widely, however, we stumbled across a great deal when looking for a cruise for October 2010. QM2 has a 7 night sailing from NY up the East Coast and back to NY with free child places. Total price for a family of 4 has come out at a little over £2100 with an agent (including return flights) which seems very good given flights for the same week this year are coming out at £300+ each. The sailing date (25th October) also coincides with half term week for a lot of areas so this could be a good deal for families with school aged children. We are booked and counting down the months now :)

I have been looking at this cruise, but can't decide, as it would mean a couple of days off school for our son. How old are your children? We have just returned from a TA and fantastic stay in NY on QM2 with a free child place. Excellent value.

Hi there. Mine are currently 3 year old and 11 weeks old. They will be 4 and a half and 17 months when we go. Where we live children start school in either September or January depending on age, and my son is due to start school in January 2011. However, to be honest even if he was starting school in the September I would be tempted to ask the school if I could have permission to take the exta couple of days off after half term. If they agreed (and I think they do have flexibility to do this) then I would definitely go. Perhaps we'll see you on board :)

I have been looking at this cruise, but can't decide, as it would mean a couple of days off school for our son. How old are your children? We have just returned from a TA and fantastic stay in NY on QM2 with a free child place. Excellent value.

If it's only a few days and your son is doing well in school, I think a Cruise is a good way to learn... other stuff. The planetarium could get him interested in space travel and/or astronomy; the RADA workshops could reveal an actor talent he want to pursuit; if he his 12+ the begginer bridge lessons are very interesting and this game is THE best game to practice logic, memory and planning all a once; interacting with more adults of all ages will develop his social skills; Meeting staff and kids from different places will open him to difference between people; Visiting new places will open him to the world; etc., etc., etc., AND all that having FUN. What else could you ask for?

If it's only a few days and your son is doing well in school, I think a Cruise is a good way to learn... other stuff. The planetarium could get him interested in space travel and/or astronomy; the RADA workshops could reveal an actor talent he want to pursuit; if he his 12+ the begginer bridge lessons are very interesting and this game is THE best game to practice logic, memory and planning all a once; interacting with more adults of all ages will develop his social skills; Meeting staff and kids from different places will open him to difference between people; Visiting new places will open him to the world; etc., etc., etc., AND all that having FUN. What else could you ask for?

When our daughter was small, we regularly took her out of school for a week or so, the school felt the experience was valuable, exactly as you've said above. She was given papers to write about the places we visited which were read to the class on her return.

We have just booked with free kids places on our cruise next Aug - amazing free childs places during the summer hols.

Was advertised as one free child's place - but we got both free and we were paying for the majority of our trip with tesco clubcard points - so amazing really.

Only a year to wait - but TA in just over two weeks!!!

We have just booked with free kids places on our cruise next Aug - amazing free childs places during the summer hols.

Was advertised as one free child's place - but we got both free and we were paying for the majority of our trip with tesco clubcard points - so amazing really.

Only a year to wait - but TA in just over two weeks!!!

Yes, I realised the other day that there were free children's places (for both children) on the TA crossings next Summer. We have actually booked on P&O for a week next July and it has cost as much as booking a TA, and had I realised sooner I would probably have booked with Cunard. The only problem with Cunard is that there are no 4 berth cabins at all on QV and no 4 berth balcony cabins on QM2 which is a shame. If prices continue as they are I think I would book at TA for summer 2011. The only thing that concerns me is wether there are too many sea days for the children. Well done for collecting enough Tesco points. I seems to spend a fortune in Tesco but my clubcard points never seem to amount to more than £25 a quarter!

I'm surprised QV doesn't seem to have 4 berths...we were in a deluxe inside this summer and it definitely had a bunk which could come down from the ceiling, and I'm pretty sure the sofa was actually a sofa bed...

I was surprised too, but when you look at brochure there are no 4 berths. I don't know whether it is urban myth but I did read somewhere that whilst some cabins can sleep 4 they don't sell 4 berths as the restaurants do not have the capacity to cater for all passengers if the ship was at full capacity (i.e. if all cabins were occupied to their full potential). However, you'd have thought someone would have thought about this at the design/planning stage before it was built.

Can anyone direct me to the list of kids free sailings? I couldn't find it on the website.

Thanks.

I found them on the UK website. The thing is that it didn't actually advertise the free child places, it wasn't until I priced it up that it became clear that children had free fares. I haven't done extensive research on this but it looks like a lot of peak TA sailings for 2010 have free children's places if you are booking from the UK (i.e. July/August), as well as the East Coast sailing we have booked from NY in late October 2010. I doubt there will be free places on the Caribbean routes or world cruise sectors - but there might be!

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked a 'kids sail free' cruise for the July 13th westbound TA. We wanted to do a RT TA from NY on the 6th, but the RT was waitlisted in all cats, and the eastbound leg wasn't 'kids sail free'. Between OBC from our TA for both and the kids sailing free on the westbound, we managed to save 10% booking individually (and have an assigned cabin) versus booking the RT combined sailing.

The "kids sail free" sailings are May 21, July 13 and 19, and August 2, 8, and 28. They did have to pay about $35 in taxes and fees.

It did say they are "subject to complimentary hotel and dining fees." I assume this to mean that we still have to pay tips on them, which I would expect. I will check with my TA tomorrow.

• 4 months later...
I just booked a 'kids sail free' cruise for the July 13th westbound TA. We wanted to do a RT TA from NY on the 6th, but the RT was waitlisted in all cats, and the eastbound leg wasn't 'kids sail free'. Between OBC from our TA for both and the kids sailing free on the westbound, we managed to save 10% booking individually (and have an assigned cabin) versus booking the RT combined sailing.

Hey, we're on that sailing with our 1 year old! And yes, he was free (or rather $35 worth of taxes & fees). Great deal.

Hi - I thought I would post as this might be useful for someone. Cunard don't seem to advertise free children's places very widely, however, we stumbled across a great deal when looking for a cruise for October 2010. QM2 has a 7 night sailing from NY up the East Coast and back to NY with free child places. Total price for a family of 4 has come out at a little over £2100 with an agent (including return flights) which seems very good given flights for the same week this year are coming out at £300+ each. The sailing date (25th October) also coincides with half term week for a lot of areas so this could be a good deal for families with school aged children. We are booked and counting down the months now :)

I am booked on thias cruise with my daughter and 2 grandchildren of 4 and 7, and we got the child places free!

The children can't stop talking about it, and my daughter is so looking forward to the rest!

Archived