Car rental in Cozumel

Matt in FL

Matt, all the majors are there. You can reserve on-line ahead of time. We used Avis for a jeep & had no problems. Post your question over on the destinations board on the Cozumel threads and you will probably get many suggestions.

Make sure the 4-wheel drive is operable.

Those little pull-offs on the Atlantic side of the island may look solid, but many are nothing but sand. It took me 2 hours go get myself dugout. Hertz did give me a refund tho.

If you go to the Atlantic side, stop at Mezquilito's for lunch, at the bend in the road back to town. Excellent food, beer, music...right on the beach...at a very good price.

Matt: We also rented a jeep from Avis when we were in Cozumel with RCCI. Quick & easy rental, & lots of fun to have our own transportation during our day on the island. We drove south out of town & spent several hours in the very interesting National Park along the coast, then around Punta Sur & up the more "remote" side the island. We loved "Coconuts" for lunch & cerveza; very kick-back, friendly, & a beautiful view of the beach & ocean from the palapa on the bluff. Continue up the Atlantic side of the island, cut across back to San Miguel and you've made the loop. Be aware of the many one-way streets in town, though. It's easy to get headed the wrong way down the little streets!:eek: And I agree 100% with the previous poster that the agency's Mexican insurance is well worth the money. Your US auto insurance does not cover you in Mexico!

Archived