Hair Braiding...

2preschoolers

Can anyone tell me if they do hair braiding for little girls on the ship or is it better to do it at one of the ports? Any recommendations? We'll be in Cozumel, Ocho Rios and grand cayman on the Carnival Liberty. I'd like to get some for my girls, just around their faces, not the whole head. THANKS!!

Never seen it done ON the ship, and if they did, in the salon, it would cost a fortune. Be VERY careful who you allow to do this---many kids have come back with lice because of dirty combs and dirty beads. If I were you, I'd bring my own comb and beads for the braids. They usually charge $1 per braid off the ship.

I have never seen it on the ship, My girls have had them done in the ports. We haven't been to Cozumel. They definitely have hair braiding in Ocho Rios. Can't remember if people were doing it in Grand Caymen or not.

Enjoy!

YIKES! Ok so maybe nevermind. Wasn't even thinking of LICE! Where does one find their own beads? And if we bring our own comb/beads - would the people be totally offended? How do I explain why I brought my own without coming out and saying, "I'm afraid your stuff will give my kid headlice?"! THANKS

Had mine done in Cozumel no head lice :D ! the girl was really fast they stayed in until I took them out after I got back home and showed them off at work. I thought I wanted just around my face but got the whole head done on an angle looked awsome. Go for it and have fun! Oh yeah and it was only $25.

If you want to get your own beads, the ones you're looking for are called 'Pony beads'. If you're going to do that, though, why not just do the braiding yourself before you go? (or on the plane) I've been doing my own hair for years, since when it's down to your butt it makes a HUGE difference to not have to comb it out every time you get it wet on a vacation. It's not terribly difficult, and if you know how to do a french braid, you know how to do a cornrow - it's exactly the same only smaller. I think my daughter was five the first time I did hers for a trip to Disneyworld, and she was so excited about it that she sat still for the entire time.

In case you do consider this, one of my 'little secrets' when I do it is to use waxed dental floss to tie off the ends. I push a couple of beads onto and up the braid, then I put a third on and 'fold' the ends of the hair against the braid above it. I wrap the waxed dental floss up and down the braid to cover the end of the hair and hold it in place, tie a good knot in it, and then push the first two beads down to cover as much of it as possible (and cut off the loose ends at the knot). The wax helps to keep it in place while you're putting it on, but washes out the first time you shampoo. Since I always have floss in my purse anyway, I'm always prepared if one comes out, too. :)

You can leave the braids in for a couple of weeks easily - or sometimes even longer. You wash pretty much the same as usual, except instead of individual hairs, you have little braids; you still want to ensure the 'outside' of the braids are shampooed, as well as the scalp. With our 'caucasian' hair, we get little fuzzy regrowth near our roots, so I generally use sunscreen to keep it down as well as I can (and sunscreen is a good idea for all the parts anyway). When you do take them out, just be prepared for all the hair that would otherwise have fallen out, and for the hair to feel like it's got a buildup of product on it (it's hard to rinse all the shampoo and conditioner out).

I personally find it much easier to deal with an entire head of braids than just a few at the front. I've experienced this more than once, since when I do my own hair I often have to space it over a few days because it takes a long time - most of which is spent with my arms up in the air braiding. I find trying to wash and brush the unbraided hair alongside the braids can be difficult, and it's easy to get it wrapped around the braids while sleeping.

I don't know whether any of this information will be useful - or even of interest - but I thought I'd share just in case. To me, the braids are much more about convenience than about appearance - but it doesn't hurt that they look adorable on kids!! :)

YIKES! Ok so maybe nevermind. Wasn't even thinking of LICE! Where does one find their own beads? And if we bring our own comb/beads - would the people be totally offended? How do I explain why I brought my own without coming out and saying, "I'm afraid your stuff will give my kid headlice?"! THANKS

Most beauty supply stores have beads. Don't worry about offending them. I'm sure they wont' be offended, especially when you pay them.

Archived