Power Chair vs. 4-Wheeled Scooter?

TravelingTonya

I will be cruising with my mother in October. She uses a rollator at home and has difficulty walking long distances, so we are planning to rent a mobility aid for the cruise.

I am trying to decide between renting a power chair or a 4-wheeled scooter (she’s above the weight limit for the 3-wheeled scooters). She has never used either one, and I would like to rent the one that will work best on the ship. Based on the photos, it appears that a power chair would be easiest for dining, going to shows, etc., but I was wondering about maneuverability.

Can anyone who has used both a power chair and a 4-wheeled scooter tell me which would be easiest for a novice to maneuver? We are booked into a handicapped cabin, and she is not planning to leave the ship at the ports, so those things do not need to be taken into consideration.

Thanks for your help!

I will be cruising with my mother in October. She uses a rollator at home and has difficulty walking long distances, so we are planning to rent a mobility aid for the cruise.

I am trying to decide between renting a power chair or a 4-wheeled scooter (she’s above the weight limit for the 3-wheeled scooters). She has never used either one, and I would like to rent the one that will work best on the ship. Based on the photos, it appears that a power chair would be easiest for dining, going to shows, etc., but I was wondering about maneuverability.

Can anyone who has used both a power chair and a 4-wheeled scooter tell me which would be easiest for a novice to maneuver? We are booked into a handicapped cabin, and she is not planning to leave the ship at the ports, so those things do not need to be taken into consideration.

Thanks for your help!

I rented a 3 wheel scooter from CareVacations on my last cruise. The specs say it takes up to 300 lbs I believe. They are very easy to navigate. I did see people in the power chairs and it seemed they did not have as much flexibility as the scooter. Whatever you decide, she will love

the joy of being able to ride, rather than walk on the ship.

It will probably depend on the brand of scooter. Some of the 4 wheel scooters are very long ( think store shopping models) where the power chairs are more compact front to back. Depending on the weight of the person, some of the normal power chairs have the smaller wheels and less powerful batteries. You will need to do lots of research.

I think taking her to various mobility places and seeing how they feel, manover, climb ramps, deal with slight lips etc, would help make the decision.

I'm sure you will get lots of good information here, we love to give advise ;) .

I've used both a power chair and scooter. (I use a manual wheelchair at home). I find the power chair more versatile, particularly in tight places. Often there is a "line up" of scooters outside a restroom, for instance, where the rider has gotten off the scooter and walked in, rather than trying to manipulate the door, and then maneuver into a stall.

Someone else gave you a really excellent idea: head off to a store that sells this sort of equipment and let your mother try out both options to see what will work best for her.

The best thing I ever did was to get a physical therapist to evaluate me and make a recommendation. I am still semi-mobile but quite tall, unstable, and have difficulty standing. The therapist quickly realized I was much more stable when I had a aid that allowed the chair to swivel as well as raise so I could get very close to it before sitting and not need to completely stand up under my own power. He recommended a scooter over a wheelchair for my specific disabilities.

Just another thought...using a power chair or scooter for the first time on a ship is not a good idea...take your mom to a grocery store, big box store or departrment store where she can try out different scooters for the first time and practice using them...turing in small area's, backing up etc. They are not difficult to use but take practice for a novice so she wont run into things or people.

If she cannot walk at all, a chair is good because she can pull right up to the dinning table, but if she can walk a little, the staff will be happy to park her scooter and bring it back after her meal (then she can sit at the table in a regular chair)

Your mom will have a great time there is a lot to do on the ship when you will be in port.

I use both a manual wheelchair and a 3 wheel scooter when we cruise, If I did not I could not go.

Have a great time.

When I first started cruising I used a 3-wheel scooter on my cruises.

In the past few years I upgraded to a power chair - and they are so much easier

to maneuver, especially in tight spaces. And much more comfortable!

For instance, I would have to back the scooter out of the elevator

on ships because there wasn't room to turn it around. As you

might have seen on TV commercials, a power chair swivels around

very easily.

Also, a power chair can be rolled right up to the dining table and

your Mom can remain seated in it - and be quite comfortable. The

dining steward would just remove one regular seat at the table to

make room for her.

The suggestions above to try one out is a good idea. Medical supply

companies would be able to assist you.

Be sure to check with your cruise line to determine the rental company they

require you to use. And that company will be able to ascertain

the correct power chair for her needs.

Enjoy your cruise !

My DH uses a power chair at home, and it is pretty simple for a new user to figure out. I agree that a power chair has a smaller footprint, and therefore can go places a scooter cannot. Also, it is a chair, so it is more comfortable for shows, etc.

Also, remember it can be quite crowded in some places on a ship, and a new user in a longer scooter may have difficulty getting through the crowds in the buffet, for example.

I agree with those who say she should try both out, but I am a fan of powerchairs over scooters.

I have been in a chair full time for over 20 years.Needless to say I can't take asuch as one step. I will be on my 27th cruise in 2 weeks. I started out with a scooter when I could walk a few steps. Then I changed to a power chair. I am in process of getting fitted for my 3rd power chair. I also have Toyota Sienna van that is modified by Braun Corp. That allows me the freedom to come and go as I please. That being said I have a lot of knowlege about w/c's.

Scooters are not as comfortable as a chair. They are not as stable and they don't manuever very well. Try a scooter in a grocery store. They are very stable but they are clunky and very slow. Then go to a home health or medical supply store and ask for a demo. I would have to say that a cruise ship is about the worst place to learn how to use a power mobility device. If the chair doesn't fit it will even be worse. If your going to rent one then do it at home and fly it with you. That way there are no surprises and it will cost a lot less than having one delivered to and picked up from the ship. I bring my power and manual chair. Hopefully you are in RCI or Princess. My last piece of advice is to google certified accessible travel agents. Hope you have a great time.

Archived