Swim Diapers in the Kiddy pools?

samgill99

I am going on the Carnival Splendor in September with my husband and 2 1/2 year old son. My son is toilet trained but we always put a swim diaper on him when we take him swimming (swim diapers are a requirement for all toddlers at our community rec centre). So I've read a lot of post where it states that diapers are not allowed in the kiddie pools. I understand that if your kid is not toilet trained then they cannot be allowed in the pools. My son has been toilet trained for a couple of months now and I'm very confident he would not wet or soil himself but I'm definately more comfortable with him in a swim diaper (afterall he's still only 2 1/2 and you never know!) Is this going to be a problem in the pool or should I bring along a small blow up pool just for him?

If he's potty trained, just don't put a diaper on him. If they see a diaper, they won't let him in the pool. Even a "swim diaper" doesn't provide any sanitary barrier, since should he make a mess in the diaper, the pool water is flowing through it...yucky!

I know this was about swim diapers in kiddie pools. I want to share what happened on our recent NCL Spirit cruise. First, to answer the question, there are no swim diapers allowed in the pools, kiddie and adult, on the NCL Spirit. We saw some be told that it was not allowed at the back Kid pool area when we were on-board.

We recently got back from the NCL Spirit and the main pool had to be closed one afternoon in port. We got to the pool for a swim since it was pretty hot in Bermuda. The net was covering the pool.

The NCL staff told my mother, who was by the pool, that a child who was potty trained, went the bathroom in the pool. Lets just say it was also quite obvious!

Since we were in port, the water could not be emptied without first balancing the chemicals. There are rules about "draining" and dumping pool water when it port. This took a couple hours.

The Bermuda cruise on the Spirit has us in port for 3+ days. If this could not have been corrected, there would be no pool to use the whole time in port. This would have been a major problem for many of the passengers who like to enjoy a nice swim.

I know accidents happen, for kids and adults. My point is to be really sure that everything is A.O.K before going into a pool. There could be 2000 +passengers and some staff very unhappy.

Jim, that is EXACTLY what happened to us on one of our Carnival cruises (sensation) - the children's pool was closed during our only sea day because of an "accident". :(

That's why it annoys me so much that Carnival has those rules but just doesn't enforce it. :rolleyes:

Eeeuw. I would be absolutely mortified if my child crapped in the pool and shut it down. I think his time in the pool will take place only after he's gone potty just as an extra reassurance for me.

I did not see the parents when it happened. I would have grown a beard quickly, changed my hair color, or something to camoflague me for the rest of the week!

When my kids were younger, and even now when we are driving a distance, I will not leave the house unless we all "try to go" first.:)

Jim, that is EXACTLY what happened to us on one of our Carnival cruises (sensation) - the children's pool was closed during our only sea day because of an "accident". :(

That's why it annoys me so much that Carnival has those rules but just doesn't enforce it. :rolleyes:

I agree that Carnival, and any other cruise line for that matter, should enforce the rules.

I also think, more importantly, we as parents must follow the rules and enforce these types of things with our own children.

It would make things easier and more enjoyable for everyone if we did our part as parents.

Just as an aside. The staff in the kids pool area put a kid in a time out after he spoke to the kid about walking up the side while others were trying to go down. The kid did it again and the staff kicked him out of the pool. I applaud the staff for doing this. Everyone was safe and could now enjoy the pool area.

By the way, I never saw the parent :eek:!

Our last Inspiration cruise, the only pool had to be shut down twice on two different days because a potty trained 8 year-old decided to take a dump not once, but twice in the pool at both the beginning and end of the cruise. I think parents of older children need to remind them as well to use the bathroom beforehand. Also if my child were to ever do that, he/she would be forbidden from using the pools the rest of the trip. I certainly would never let it happen a second time. Luckily we had just gotten out of the pool when it happened the first time.The second time later that week, we walked up and the same crew were putting the net on. I asked the guy if it was the same boy and he said yes. Both times it took a good 3-4 hours to re-open the pool.

Our last Inspiration cruise, the only pool had to be shut down twice on two different days because a potty trained 8 year-old decided to take a dump not once, but twice in the pool at both the beginning and end of the cruise. I think parents of older children need to remind them as well to use the bathroom beforehand. Also if my child were to ever do that, he/she would be forbidden from using the pools the rest of the trip. I certainly would never let it happen a second time. Luckily we had just gotten out of the pool when it happened the first time.The second time later that week, we walked up and the same crew were putting the net on. I asked the guy if it was the same boy and he said yes. Both times it took a good 3-4 hours to re-open the pool.

This child must be mentally challenged or extremely manipulative. After one incident, that should have ended his rights in the pool.:(

People have wound up in the Brig for less! That is unbelievable. I would have grounded my kid from the pool after the first time, accident or not!

As you said this takes a long time to deal with. This is a MAJOR deal to clean, it is not as easy as one may think. They have the chemicals to balance, the rules about dumping the pool water also apply, etc....

People have wound up in the Brig for less! That is unbelievable. I would have grounded my kid from the pool after the first time, accident or not!

As you said this takes a long time to deal with. This is a MAJOR deal to clean, it is not as easy as one may think. They have the chemicals to balance, the rules about dumping the pool water also apply, etc....

Maybe the parents of the child should have been billed for the manpower and chemicals that were required.

Maybe the parents of the child should have been billed for the manpower and chemicals that were required.

Now, there is an idea! You can bet that the pool staff may have thought about that. There were probably a lot of passengers who thought it too!:D

Archived