How to make the best of 1 full day in LA

vtxriders

I have never been to CA. It is the only state West of the Mississippi that I haven't been to.

We arrive at LAX at 9 AM on a Saturday, have a rental car overnight and will be staying at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. Leaving on Sunday morning.

As far as what I want to see or do - I want it ALL but know I'll have to settle for what we can make of it.

Looking to see as much as possible. We don't need to spend a lot of time at any site - just want to take in as much in as possible. I've told my husband to plan on a long day. We can rest and recoup on the ship.

First off, your right on the mark renting a car. Otherwise you will do very little. It really depends on what you want to see. To help plan ahead. do a search online for homes of the stars or star maps. THis way you can see what you want to see as far as celeb homes, if that is what you are into. Plus this will give you an idea of the area. The hollywood walk of fame is on...you guess it...Hollywood Blvd. Beginning at Labrea and going east. The center of the area is the Hollywood/Highland shopping center. Which includes the Kodack theater, Mann's chinease theater, the famous hand and foot prints in cement. Park in the parking garage for the center and get validated by one of the stores there, buy a coffee or something. Just a few blocks south is Santa Monica Blvd and a few more is Melrose ave. ALso Sunset Blvd is one south of hollywood blvd . The famous sunset strip is more west on the Blvd. Then you get into Beverly Hills. Most of the studios are in studio city and burbank. Just over the hills into the valley.

Also Long beach has the aqarium of the pacific. It is one thing i wish i had done while I lived there. If you go to the valley, eat lunch at Casa Vega. It is on Ventura Blvd at the corner of Fulton. High posibility of celeb sighting there. I once saw the cast of desparate houswives eating lunch. Good food too. Warner Bors studio tour is the best there is IMO. Its a few hours and takes you really personal and behind the scenes. Expect to see a working sitcom sound stage, as well as "central perk" set from Friends. ANd alot more. Rodeo drive is really overrated, but if you must, it takes only a few minutes to drive down. NOt much to see other than stores. But if your going to look at houses in Beverly hills, it is right there. Best advise i can give it get a map before you go and look over it, to get your bearings. Traffic is hectic and if you know somewhat where you need to be, it makes it easier. Parking is expensive and limited. so try to park at a central location and walk it a bit. It is about a 45 min drive from hollywood to long beach when traffic is good. so you dont wnat to be criss crossing back and forth. Have fun, I loved living there and cant wait till i can move back.

Well...First, I think a city tour is out of the question...By the time you'd get out of the airport (retrieve luggage, pick up car) it's going to be at least 10:00 am...You couldn't be picking up a tour at your hotel in Pedro until after 11:00 sometime--too late for the tour providers...

Now, a lot depends on what you want to see...

I'd suggest driving right to Hollywood and Highland, park in the complex, go visit Grauman's Chinese, walk a little along the Walk of Fame, take your photos of the Hollywood Sign...Then drive down to Fairfax and have lunch either at Canter's or at one of the restaurants in the Grove (maybe Wood Ranch)...Then continue on to Beverly Hills, check out Rodeo Drive, then head to Venice Beach...walk along the Boardwalk, then head up to Santa Monica and the Pier...then eat dinner somewhere on the Third Street Promenade...then drive down to Pedro, check in and go to sleep...

Have fun...

Since your time will be limited, the best thing is to narrow down what area or areas to visit as Steve mentioned above. You may get caught in our infamous traffic (rush hour can be all day long on weekdays and can still be a bit busy on weekends) so you don't want to drive here and there. LA is very spread out.

Usually the city tours will drive around Hollywood with stops at Farmers Market (it's celebrating its 75th anniversary this year and is one of the city's most known tourist attraction -- I know from living nearby years ago and often being stopped for directions for just that place).

Here's its website:

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

You can walk up Fairfax Blvd. from there to Cantor's Deli, which will be the only food place open on that side of the street on Saturday afternoon. (all the other businesses will be closed for Shabbot) But's it's an experience. Make sure to try the rum cake.

Hello,

The following may be of help to you.

From LAX take the I -405 freeway to Sunset Boulevard. Go east on Sunset through Westwood (if interested in college campuses drive through the UCLA campus) and then continue on Sunset to Beverly Hills, and Hollywood. Go south on La Brea to just before Melrose Avenue and have a hot dog at Pinks. Continue to Wilshire Boulevard west and drive out Wilshire Boulevard all the way to Santa Monica. See Santa Monica (and walk out the pier).

From Santa Monica, take the I -10 freeway to the I -405, to the I 110. The I -110 freeway will take you to San Pedro. Get a late check out at the hotel, and the next morning get up early and take a ride through San Pedro and the Rancho Palos Verdes Pennisula. Check out of the hotel by 11 AM, turn the car in and have a great cruise. You can have a nice breakfast at Caenett'is in San Pedro if it is still there.

I have never been to CA. It is the only state West of the Mississippi that I haven't been to.

We arrive at LAX at 9 AM on a Saturday, have a rental car overnight and will be staying at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. Leaving on Sunday morning.

As far as what I want to see or do - I want it ALL but know I'll have to settle for what we can make of it.

Looking to see as much as possible. We don't need to spend a lot of time at any site - just want to take in as much in as possible. I've told my husband to plan on a long day. We can rest and recoup on the ship.

Seriously...

Here's how to do it...

Get your rental car, then get to the start of my tour here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=511653

(click on the thread/links)

Stop for late lunch or dinner at Gladstones or one of the restaurants on the Venice Boardwalk or the Marina Del Ray portion of the tour...

Then, take this driving tour north to south from Marina Del Ray to San Pedro:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=500138

If you still have time after that, or you really want for the next morning, then do this in the area around San Pedro:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567043

You will have tons of LA covered from top to bottom, you can stop at any of the sights you want along the way, and end up back at your hotel!

Check those links out...

:cool:

Archived