Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I thought that some other chain took over the Yankee Clipper a couple of years ago?????

It is still a Sheraton but it is no longer called the Yankee Clipper. I think self-parking is $17/day (check with the hotel).

Edited by royalcruz

Have enjoyed all your help before.

We are booked through Priceline for the Hyatt Place near 17th Street for March 2010 so cann't cancel. I have read on another thread there might be problems with the hotel. Have you heard of anything.

We have stayed there twice pre-cruises and had no problems at all. We have also used the one in Tampa, also pre-cruise. What problems did you hear about as I am planning on staying there again in the next couple of months?

It is still a Sheraton but it is no longer called the Yankee Clipper. I think self-parking is $17/day (check with the hotel).

Thanks for the update. WE stayed there once and last time I looked it was unavailable/under renovation. Wasn't wild about it but it was OK. It was where the film "Where The Boys Are" was shot --did you know?

Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked and answered (possibly many times!), but the thread is so long I didn't get through it all, so hopefully nobody minds me asking.

My husband and I will be flying in to FLL on a Saturday afternoon in October for a Sunday departing cruise. We don't know FLL and this is our first cruise, so not sure what area to stay in.

Ideally, we'd like something with a shuttle from the airport on Saturday, and a shuttle to the port on Sunday, and close to shopping & restaurants for Saturday evening.

Anything like this exist? What area should we be looking at?

Thanks!!

Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked and answered (possibly many times!), but the thread is so long I didn't get through it all, so hopefully nobody minds me asking.

My husband and I will be flying in to FLL on a Saturday afternoon in October for a Sunday departing cruise. We don't know FLL and this is our first cruise, so not sure what area to stay in.

Ideally, we'd like something with a shuttle from the airport on Saturday, and a shuttle to the port on Sunday, and close to shopping & restaurants for Saturday evening.

Anything like this exist? What area should we be looking at?

Thanks!!

Look at Hyatt Place north or Sleep Inn in Dania. Also consider any of the hotels adjacent to Oakwood Plaza on Stirling Road east of I-95.

Ok- probably asked and answered in the previous 46 odd pages, but don't have a good enough memory to remember.

Our post-cruise flight leaves at 4pm, so we're thinking of heading to sawgrass mills for some shopping. How much would a cab be out to the mall?

The cruise line is offering the trip as an excursion, so basically the transportation from port to mall, and then back to the airport. (I think the price is $40) Wondering if that's a good deal, considering they would also keep our luggage in the motorcoach while we shop.

Thanks!

I posted on the regular board, but thought I'd try here to see what royalcruz and/or bequia had to say :-)

Does anyone know what the major differences are between the Hyatt Places North & South (and I guess the Hyatt Summerfield Suites)?

Is one "nicer" than the others?

Does one have a better location in relation to the port?

Does one have a better location than the other in relation to restaurants/grocery store?

Are they "decent" as far as being clean and comfortable?

We are not concerned about the price difference between them -- we just want the "best" one.

Thanks!

Ok- probably asked and answered in the previous 46 odd pages, but don't have a good enough memory to remember.

Our post-cruise flight leaves at 4pm, so we're thinking of heading to sawgrass mills for some shopping. How much would a cab be out to the mall?

The cruise line is offering the trip as an excursion, so basically the transportation from port to mall, and then back to the airport. (I think the price is $40) Wondering if that's a good deal, considering they would also keep our luggage in the motorcoach while we shop.

Thanks!

That is a good deal...I would expect cab far to cost at least $120 round trip, maybe more.

I posted on the regular board, but thought I'd try here to see what royalcruz and/or bequia had to say :-)

Does anyone know what the major differences are between the Hyatt Places North & South (and I guess the Hyatt Summerfield Suites)?

Is one "nicer" than the others?

south is much newer

Does one have a better location in relation to the port?

north is very close to the port. south is a few miles away.

Does one have a better location than the other in relation to restaurants/grocery store?

there is no grocery store by south and the restaurants are mostly fast food and a few chains. there are 2 grocery stores and a big wine store by north and about 30 restaurants within a reasonable walk, if you can walk 2-8 blocks.

Are they "decent" as far as being clean and comfortable?

my friends stay at HP north and love it

We are not concerned about the price difference between them -- we just want the "best" one.

Thanks!

Summerfield Suites is often mentioned positively here if you do a search. Their rooms look a little larger. I think they are next door to HP South.

I prefer the location of HP north.

Edited by royalcruz

Can anyone give an opinion on which hotel is better; Bahia Mar or the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Hotel? We're booked at the Sheraton and the difference in cost between both hotels is minor for the time we'll be there. I see that they are relatively close on Seabreeze.

Hello again,

Back with more questions about Fort Lauderdale. We are staying at the Westin Beach Resort and will be looking for places to eat nearby for breakfast. We generally find that the best breakfast is not necessarily in the hotel, although we may be wrong this time?? And sometimes the amount they want to charge for what they are offering is ridiculous. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also for dinner, any recommendations for close by or using the water taxi as we aren't planning on renting a car. We would really like to have some good seafood for at least one dinner of our stay.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone give an opinion on which hotel is better; Bahia Mar or the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Hotel? We're booked at the Sheraton and the difference in cost between both hotels is minor for the time we'll be there. I see that they are relatively close on Seabreeze.

Bahia Mar is about 2 blocks closer to where most of the restaurants, bars, and beach shops are, and you will still have to walk about 5 blocks from there to be in the main area. The Sheraton is directly on the beach and was more recently renovated, including a pool renovation, although some of the rooms are across the street from the beach. This is all the advice that I can give as I haven't been in the rooms. From what I have seen, both hotels get mixed but mostly good reviews. Expect a very basic hotel from either. If you are looking for luxury look elsewhere.

Hello again,

Back with more questions about Fort Lauderdale. We are staying at the Westin Beach Resort and will be looking for places to eat nearby for breakfast. We generally find that the best breakfast is not necessarily in the hotel, although we may be wrong this time?? And sometimes the amount they want to charge for what they are offering is ridiculous. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also for dinner, any recommendations for close by or using the water taxi as we aren't planning on renting a car. We would really like to have some good seafood for at least one dinner of our stay.

Thanks in advance.

If the Yankee Trader is now Westin Beach Resort, the Don Shula's on the Beach is right there. Very tasty. Not cheap.

Hello again,

Thanks in advance.

I don't know of any decent seafood restaurants within close walking distance. Coconuts is very good, an easy mile walk. By water taxi you can go to Chart House (stop #1), Truluck at Galleria (stop #2 or bus 40 or a very short cab ride 1.5 miles), 15th St Fisheries (stop #8). Stop #9 will take you to Las Olas Blvd...I don't think there are any seafood restaurants, but there are about a dozen restaurants and most have some sort of seafood. This is a very pleasant place to be on a nice evening.

For breakfast, there are no Denny's or fast food or diners. The best breakfasts tend to be in the hotel restaurants (not buffet) but they may be expensive. H2O also serves breakfast. One of the cheaper hotel breakfasts is probably at the Deck, which is on an outdoor deck at a motel. It is about 5 blocks north of the Westin. You can get pizza 24 hrs/day at Primanti's!

Shula's is WAY overpriced and the food isn't that good. There was a place we ate the last time we stayed at the Westin just a few blocks north of the hotel. But the name escapes me at the moment. I'll do some research and see what I come up with.

Shula's is WAY overpriced and the food isn't that good. There was a place we ate the last time we stayed at the Westin just a few blocks north of the hotel. But the name escapes me at the moment. I'll do some research and see what I come up with.

What we had was very good--equivalent to Ruth's Chris in quality and price. It was probably about 2 years ago or more.

What we had was very good--equivalent to Ruth's Chris in quality and price. It was probably about 2 years ago or more.

Shula's too pricey for our budget. We ate at The Deck Restaurant at the Sea Club. Few blocks North of the Westin. Had breakfast there the next morning also.

Thanks everyone for your help with restaurants.

Royalcruz...looks like we will just go for the hotel restaurants for breakfast and travel a little further by water taxi for dinners.

kewlguy..I will be interested to hear the name of the restaurant you went to if it comes to mind.

Shula's too pricey for our budget. We ate at The Deck Restaurant at the Sea Club. Few blocks North of the Westin. Had breakfast there the next morning also.

kewlguy..thank you, I guess we were typing at the same time.