Rome Shuttles/Trains

tjljsc

1. So I've been debating between using the train to Termini and walking/grabbing a taxi to our hotel or paying the extra to get a car service. I found a too good to be true (?) rate with AirPortShuttle.it (25E for 1st person, +6E each additional). Anyone used them before? I have to pre-pay and am not willing to hand over my cc # on price alone.

2. Anyone know if I'm looking at the train schedule correctly? Looks like I can go Rome Termini to Civitavecchia in 45 mins? Train leaves at 12:02pm and arrives at 12:46pm for 11,40E pp. If this is true, am I cutting it too close to take the 14:02pm train that arrives at 14:46pm instead? Ship departs at 5pm.

Thanks!

You are right about the Termini to Civitavecchia train - the direct trains from Termini are faster. There are also regional trains that take a little more than an hour.

I don't know about cutting it too close - it feels tight to me, but that's me. From the train station in Civitavecchia to the port entrance is only about a 10 minute walk, but if you have a lot of luggage it could be uncomfotable and/or take longer. The good news is that it's flat the entire way. I also don't know about getting from the port entrance to your ship; we had a shuttle bus, but we were there on a day trip. I assume if you're embarking there that it's a different process.

Upon arrival I'd advise using a car service. It's so much easier with luggage, plus if you're coming off an overnight flight you'll likely be tired. It's just a more pleasant way to start your vacation (and that from an avowed train lover, especially in Italy). That's an incredible price but, like you, I'd be uncomfortable about handing over the money unless I'd heard from someone who'd had a good experience with them.

We'll only have one carryon and a backpack each (packing is going to be an interesting challenge!), so the walk to port should be relatively easy. I know I'll get the "better safe than sorry" crowd, but unless I start hearing horror stories of trains not working, arriving late, etc., I think I'll risk the 14:02 train. We have limited time in Rome and I would hate to rush through the Colosseum and Roman Forum.

1. I wouldn't book the shuttle unless you can find some positive reports. I seem to recall reading some not-so-good things about them from a poster here, but when I go back and try to search, I can't find it. Perhaps I read it on another board... At any rate, there are dozens of shuttle companies and some are a little unscrupulous. They often operate under several different names. For a few more euros, I'd pick one that you can be confident will show up and get you where you need to go.

2. Regarding the train time, my instinct tells me it will be okay, but then I'm familiar with the trains and the route. If your ship sails at 5pm, can you check with them and see if there is a mandatory "all aboard" time? Also, I'd have a backup plan, just in case the train is delayed. It's not common, but it does happen occasionally. I've posted a link below to a report from a recent cruiser who had that experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1038569

(Note: he could have still taken a later train, even though he didn't do so.....but you may not have that option.)

Archived