How to get around in Barbados

Psoque

We are going to arrive in Barbados one day before our departure on a cruise. Because the ship does not leave the port until very late at night, we actually have the whole day to explore the island, which is great.

We have been to Barbados a couple of times on a cruise, and we have done both the Harrison's Cave and Andromeda Gardens. We are sort of interested in doing the Orchid World and the Flower Forest, and maybe the Animal Flower Cave and the nature reserver (is it open?).

I'm not sure what sort of advice can be posted on this forum, but is there any recommendations from anybody who has toured the island independently, either driving on their own, or hiring a driver/guide? I'm not sure if a recommendation of this kind is allowed or not, but if it is, I would like to hear about it. Since we will on Wind Surf, there's no critical mass of people to actually have a roll-call.

Thanks.

Have you ever driven on the left/wrong side of the road? Maybe not.

And you probably shouldn't try, not here on our narrow roads..

not unless you're rally drivers -or really like a hand-eye-coordination challenge thing! :D

Your best bet might be to contact Front Desk at the place you're staying overnight

and see what they can arrange for you

by way of a general island tour taking in most everything there is to see.

For first timers anywhere

a general island tour is always the best bet

since you haven't seen anything of that destination - not yet!

Thanks for your advice. We were not really thinking about driving in Barbados, if we can help it.

And yes, we were going to ask the concierge at the hotel we are staying in (probably ahead of time) to see if they can help us make an arrangement. We both have been to Barbados (I have been there twice), and have seen Harrison's Cave and Andromeda Gardens, along with other popular sights before.

We are sort of interested in going to places in Barbados that are not necessarily the most "popular" but still worthwhile visiting. I'm not sure if other cruise ships are going to be sailing out of Barbados that day, but we are really interested in avoiding the crowds as much as we can.

Naoyuki

Archived