question about the sushi bar

biksgirl

is it included in the price or is it extra?

For those that have eaten there, how good is the sushi? I'm not expecting it to be like a top japanese restaurant of course, but I'm hoping it's at least decent.... (We are huge sushi eaters and LOVE the stuff LOL)

TIA!

No charge for sushi. They do charge for sake if you want it. On both Valor and Freedom, each night was a different selection and they put it out on small plates on top of the sushi bar. Quality was good - similar to what I find locally at Publix. Not alot of fresh fish. I recall most of the sushi being cooked - such as California roll - or veggie.

Not a typical sushi bar as there is nowhere to sit. But plenty of seats in the area or you can always bring it to a the nearby Wine Bar.

No charge for sushi. They do charge for sake if you want it. On both Valor and Freedom, each night was a different selection and they put it out on small plates on top of the sushi bar. Quality was good - similar to what I find locally at Publix. Not alot of fresh fish. I recall most of the sushi being cooked - such as California roll - or veggie.

Not a typical sushi bar as there is nowhere to sit. But plenty of seats in the area or you can always bring it to a the nearby Wine Bar.

Is it only on Valor and Freedom?

Is it only on Valor and Freedom?

No. According to Carnival website it is the following:

Fascination, Inspiration, Ecstasy, Elation, Paradise, Fantasy, Jubilee, Conquest, Glory, Imagination, Valor

Although I am quite sure I had it on Freedom so the list may not be up-to-date.

No. According to Carnival website it is the following:

Fascination, Inspiration, Ecstasy, Elation, Paradise, Fantasy, Jubilee, Conquest, Glory, Imagination, Valor

Although I am quite sure I had it on Freedom so the list may not be up-to-date.

It is on the Spirit and Splendor. There is NO raw fish. They also had sauces. What I had was good, nice snack before dinner.

So tell me about this sushi that isn't raw. I have never liked sushi because I don't like raw fish. But I like fish and if it is cooked there may be something for me. I always thought it was all raw. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also I would be thankful the ship doesn't have raw fish unless they were stopping daily to catch it, or maybe only on port days. I wouldn't want raw sushi that is a few days old.

DW and I only eat sushi a couple of times a year but it wasn't bad. The one thing I would say is that the first night of the cruise it sucked but we gave it another chance a few days later and was very pleased. Must have been stuff from the week before or an off night.

is it included in the price or is it extra?

For those that have eaten there, how good is the sushi? I'm not expecting it to be like a top japanese restaurant of course, but I'm hoping it's at least decent.... (We are huge sushi eaters and LOVE the stuff LOL)

TIA!

If you eat Sushi regularly like my family and I, you will find this Sushi is not what you are used to. It is good, but different. We think it is the rice on the ship that is different.

When we were on Legend back in May, they had a Sushi bar (I think) near the wine bar. DH and I would stop there every night for appetizers before heading into the dining room. Granted it was not nearly as good as the sushi that we get here in Tampa, but it was edible. The portions were on the skimpy side, but what can you do? It was free, it was available, and we enjoyed it.

We're looking forward to having sushi on Freedom when we sail on her next month.

They had it on the Miracle in April and the Splendor in July. Both ships served basically rolls, no raw fish as was mentioned.

Frayedend- one I can describe is the CA. roll, w. shrimp and avacoado wrapped w/ rice and seaweed. Some have cooked shrimp in them, all different varieties. Quite good w/ the special sauces.

Why do people insist on thinking sushi = raw fish?

Sushi is actually the vinegar rice and it can be topped with anything.

The rice is what determines if it's sushi, not the topping.

Sashimi = raw fish.

Sashimi is the only food item with raw fish as a requirement for the definition.

Check here for the further info and history of many sushi items, traditionally made without any raw fish at all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi

That being said...

For getting it free, and if you get it on one of the ships that makes it fresh for you to your order - it's great.

No, you're not at a Five Star Japanese restaurant or Sushi Bar - but then they don't serve anywhere near the variety of different foods you'll get on a cruiseship - and don't sail you around to different ports at the same time as well.:cool:

In the meantime, they will have different options every night such as these:

a7dbd33111fe8b317744dca9b2521c5a.jpg

They'll even make fresh hand rolls for you:

c93acc17a3ddd1d5a4e7f4e2667e088b.jpg

A great snack before late seating dinner, and the sushi on Carnival is also a great way for beginners to try different kinds.

No raw fish needed to have some sushi.;)

• 4 months later...

Sashimi = raw fish.

Sashimi is the only food item with raw fish as a requirement for the definition.

THANK YOU for your post. I was reading through and before I got to your post I was hoping somebody addressed it. If not I was going to identify the difference.

Unfortunately for me, I LOVE sashimi so I guess I'm just going to have to settle. I'd rather eat sushi than some of the buffet food.

Sashimi = raw fish.

Check here for the further info and history of many sushi items, traditionally made without any raw fish at all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi

As a huge sushi lover (both raw and non) I was about to make a scathing reply to some of those people on page one, but you covered it very well, thanks for that.

As for the sushi on board it is good, and I do enjoy it. It is nowhere near the class of my favorite actual sushi restaurants, but it's also not just poor junk either. It's decent to good sushi and I definately try it several times over the week, it's one of the can't miss foods for me on board.

Thank you CJW and the last two! It does make me cringe whenever people think it must have raw fish to be sushi. Even my friend out to lunch for sushi with me a week ago tried to pull that one on me as she was poo-poo-ing my California rolls. "You know that's not sushi, right?" Um, yes it is. I agree it is the "starter kit" as she put it, LOL, but I had to explain the rice thing. I don't think she even believed me. I think she still thinks the term sushi refers to the raw fish.

And now, after reading this, I think I'm going to have to have it for lunch!

I'm going on the Pride in a couple days and the deck plans show a sushi bar on Deck 2 somewhere (or deck 3). I'm planning to try it so it BETTER be there and am happy to see hand rolls. You don't see those very often at your buffet style sushi bars.

And thank you to the PP who pointed out that there are many kinds of sushi, all called sushi because they are made with a rice vinegar flavored rice.

For those that don't eat raw fish, there are many options for sushi where everything is cooked or is not fish. Many kinds of sushi have no raw fish - egg (cooked), flying fish roe (not fish, still raw, small caviar), salmon roe (not fish, still raw, large caviar), eel (cooked and smoked), octopus (cooked), shrimp (cooked), vegetables, crab (cooked), fake crab (fluke or other white fish - cooked).

And if you can find a California Roll made with real crab - you MUST try it.

hb5

Archived