PG excursion questions

Norm&Ruby

Hi fellow cruisers,

We're on the Sept 17, 2011 7 days, first time PG.

Also, for my first time in many cruises, it looks like I'm going with the Ships excursions rather than private, because of the obc and the competitive pricing. (I've read a lot of posts about Patrick in Bora Bora, but he's away that week).

Not a very active roll call, so I thought I would try asking my questions here.

I have some general questions about excursions if anyone with FP experience can help. There seems to be a lot of 'repetitive' offerings on each island, and we would like to do a variety of activities throughout the week, so not really sure what to book on each island.

1) If you only wanted to do the 4x4 once, should it be on Bora Bora or Moorea?

2) Likewise, if you only had the time to do one scuba dive that whole week, which day should it be?

3) And the best snorkeling of the week, is that one of the drift snorkel excursions or the lagoonariums, and again, which Island?

4) While not much is sold out now with 2 weeks to go, which PG excursions are the ones most likely to be filled up on the first day of the cruise?

Thanks so much in advance to any of you PG alumni/experts for any (black) pearls of wisdom you can give me!

Happy Cruising

Norm (and Ruby)

from Toronto

We sailed on the Aug. 10th cruise which was Society Islands and Tuamotus. We did 2 dives, one on Bora Bora and one on Moorea. Both times saw sharks and similar fish so it might just depend on what else you do on the island. We had 2 days in each of those ports. We also did a 4x4 on both islands and enjoyed both although they were both different. Probably more views in Moorea. Also did the best snorkeling trip with Cristophe (Reef Discovery) booked with others on Cruise Critic prior to sailing. Everything else we did was through PG or through our hotel when we did a 4 night post-cruise stay on Bora Bora.

For whatever reason, we had quite a few excursions sell out on our cruise and all of the dives. Although we were able to get on a wait list and make it on a couple of the excursions, I wish we would have pre-booked and not spent time waiting in line on the ship to sign up. A highlight was the private motu on Taha'a.

Any other specific questions, feel free to contact me and ask. We loved the cruise and had a great time. One of these days I'll get around to posting a review.

I also have excursion questions. I don't think I want to be up and going early every morning (did this in Alaska and it wore me out), so which ports would be best for just walking around when you get to it? Also, if not on a tour, how do you get to Bloody Mary's in Bora Bora? Do you rent a car or are there cabs?

Norm & Ruby

1) If you only wanted to do the 4x4 once, should it be on Bora Bora or Moorea? Iwould do this on BB as the views from the top are fabulous. Rent a car in Moorea - Sandrine will rent to you on the dock ( Avis) or you can book in advance by email. You will have the time to drive around the island - to the Belvedere , agricultural centre ( ice cream and vanilla) and end up at a Hotel ( hilton is well located) where you can have lunch and enjoy the snorkelling.

4) While not much is sold out now with 2 weeks to go, which PG excursions are the ones most likely to be filled up on the first day of the cruise? Depends.... would suggest you the Mark eddowes excursion in Moorea - do use and take bug spray.

Make sure you go to the BB Motu one or both days you are there.

RCandKC

You can rent a car to get to Bloody Marys. Its really nothing special but if its important to you go there!.

The only port where you can get off and walk around the town a bit is raitea. In BB it makes sense if you want to visit the pearl stores or the handicraft market. In Tahiti visit the marche ( vanilla powder and paste and handicrafts). While you can walk around elsewhere - it doesnt really make much sense.

This is not Alaska so you will find plenty of time to chill on the various motus as well as on the ship.

Not sure about the shuttles. Give them a call and ask. Many restaurants will send a shuttle.

The first time we went we took a tour around BB off the dock and had them drop us off at BB. I know at night the ship will send a tender to the BM dock to pick people up.

Dont ask the ship to call as they will charge you $15 per call.

Archived