Overwater bungalow at IC Tahiti worth it?

Familygoboston

Considering purchasing the 2 night pre cruise package from PG...my TA has quoted $180 pp including bfast (which all of you here have told me meals are $$ in FP, so we would make this our big meal!) or $580 pp for the Lagoon overwater and $390 for Motu overwater. My questions -

Have you stayed overwater at IC in Tahiti?

What is the difference between the two overwater rooms?

Would you say that the upgrade is worth it?

We unfortunately can't add a pre or post stay on another island due to limited vacation time and limited patience of the people watching our teens;) We don't want to overwater on the cruise because we think thats a bit pricey to add to a night we've already paid for...but we are attracted to the idea of doing it pre cruise to decompress after the long flight.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Hi,

I stayed at the IC Tahiti post-cruise a few years ago, and it was a nice transition resort. We're staying there again for the two-day pre-cruise for our upcoming cruise in July. That $180 deal is AWESOME, isn't it? I cannot figure out how they are giving it away for so cheap - the rooms are way more expensive than that if you try to book it on your own.

Anyway, about the OWBs - I wouldn't bother. They are not that nice, compared to the OWBs you'll find on the other islands. The water is murky and you really can't snorkel from them. When we stayed there before, we just paid for the basic room and then used the Ambassador Club to upgrade to a Panoramic Room - this room was gorgeous! Nicer even than the OWBs.

For comparison purposes: the Ocean View rooms (what you get for the $180) are 307 sq feet; the Panoramic Rooms are 414 sq. ft. The OWBs are 328 sq ft for the Motu ones, and 414 sq ft for the Lagoon ones. For that much more money I just don't see the value in the OWB, especially since you can't really swim/snorkel from them like you can at other resorts' OWBs. As I recall, they don't extend out over the water very much. All you really get is a longer walk to the lobby/restaurants and a nicer view...but seriously, the view from EVERY room is so incredible that it's not that much nicer.

Plus you'll only be there for two nights. The first night you'll get in late anyway, then you've only got one full day to really enjoy the resort. The pools are exquisite - we spent most of our time just hangin' in the infinity pool by the swim-up bar. :)

But what you should do is read the reviews of the IC at TripAdvisor. As always, toss out the best and worst, and focus on the ones in the middle, which is where the truth lies.

It's unfortunate you won't be able to do a post-cruise - we're doing a 3-day post-cruise at the IC Moorea, which has WAY better OWBs. The water is crystal clear beneath them, and you can snorkel right from your porch.

What's your sailing date? We're on the June 30 11-day Society & Cook Islands itinerary. :)

Thanks LeeAnne-

We are doing the 7 day Society Islands in Oct 2012 for our 25 th anniversary. I thought $180 ( 60 bucks a night with transfers and breakfast!?!) per person was a good deal too. Sounds like it would be a good place to save a couple of (hundred) bucks if the OWB arent really a spot where you can swim or snorkel.

Can you explain the Ambassadors club? Do we have to stay in an Intercontinental before we go? Can we upgrade to the panoramic room if we take the PG package? ( sounds like that's what you did!) Did you do that when you checked in or before?

I did read a bunch of TA reviews- you are so right about reviews there;I sort of read them for trends!

So you have another trip coming up? Sounds like you really enjoy PG! We cannot wait to go!

I havent stayed in the OWB but have been at the resort a few times - mostly recently this July. I would suggest an upgrade to the Panoramic rooms. They are well located beside the infinity pool and away from the main area.

The price they are offering is unbeatable especially since we spent $550 for one night ( $850 for three) in July. LIkely your price may not include lunch did before embarkation. If you stick with fish and chips/burger type meals the prices are not so bad - under $30. Unfortunately thats the price one pays in similar hotels all over the world. After an excellent breakfast you really do not need a three course meal . In fact we couldnt get through our meals at lunch before the PG. The PG also has a high tea in La Veranda on embarkation day that starts at 3.

I have to wait until 2013 for my next PG trip.

Enjoy!

I havent stayed in the OWB but have been at the resort a few times - mostly recently this July. I would suggest an upgrade to the Panoramic rooms. They are well located beside the infinity pool and away from the main area.

The price they are offering is unbeatable especially since we spent $550 for one night ( $850 for three) in July. LIkely your price may not include lunch did before embarkation. If you stick with fish and chips/burger type meals the prices are not so bad - under $30. Unfortunately thats the price one pays in similar hotels all over the world. After an excellent breakfast you really do not need a three course meal . In fact we couldnt get through our meals at lunch before the PG. The PG also has a high tea in La Veranda on embarkation day that starts at 3.

I have to wait until 2013 for my next PG trip.

Enjoy!

Thanks Emdee- I've been following your posts on this board..so helpful!

I understand its a very big breakfast, both my DH and I are fairly light eaters and figure we will make a meal of breakfast and snack on fruit once we can embark. Possibly on the first day we could walk to the grocery for a light light lunch? I've read reviews that say its about a 5 minute walk to the market.

Do you know what time embarkation is officially? There must be be a PG bus to the pier if transfers are included? Sounds like we will need to check out and then lounge around the hotel while we wait.

I will check with my TA to see what the cost of the panaoramic room upgrade will run. Im assuming I can do that ahead of time, or maybe once we arrive?

Thanks! Kathy

familygoboston

Once you get your ticket please check the brochure thoroughly . In the small print there was a note that guests who book at the IC will get an embarkation lunch.Most people dont find this. Ask the restaurant and they will have a list of persons entitled to this.

Check in is at 3. We got tired of hanging around the hotel and took our own transport. Were there at 3 . La Veranda has a high tea so you wont need to go to the market to eat.

The Marche is only a 5 minute walk and has the cheapest vanillla powder and paste. The powder is lovely sprinkled on vanilla bean icecream or an whipped cream. I havent used my paste yet. I bought the actual vanilla beans from Motu Mahana and a shop in Moorea. They also had vanilla sugar. These are small and easy gifts.

When do you leave? I am about to leave for Barcelona but will be back in a week. Waiting for my transport at this time!

If you leave before my best ( Miriam and Colin) to Efren bartender, Ernesto Bartender, Miki Maitre and Michael Shapiro cruise director.

Hi,

Agree about the Panoramic room upgrade. Rather than go to your TA, I would just email the resort directly and tell them you'll be in an Ocean View room as a PG pre-cruise package, and you'd like a price to upgrade to a Panoramic room.

Now, about the Ambassador Club - it's $200, but with it you get a free upgrade any time you stay at an IC resort (you also get one free weekend night, which you can't use on this trip but maybe some other time). We're doing it because we also get an upgrade to a bungalow for our 3-night post-cruise in Moorea, so it's worth it. Not sure it would be worth it for just the two-night stay, but that depends on the price the IC gives you to upgrade.

I'm also looking into a suggestion I got from someone else on this board - there a credit card that you can get for free (no annual fee for the first year) that you can use to get the Ambassador Club membership for free:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/ihg-credit-card.aspx

With the first purchase on that card you get 30,000 Priority Club points. And you can buy the Ambassador Club membership for only 32,000 points:

From the Ambassador Club website:

What is the cost of InterContinental Ambassador status?

The membership fee for new members is US $200. Priority Club Rewards members may also purchase membership for 32,000 points.

I'm still looking into this to confirm, but if this turns out to be true, we're going to go ahead and get the card. All you need to do then is put $2000 more on it to get your membership for free - which means a free upgrade to Panoramic Room! I did, by the way, confirm that with the IC Tahiti - here's what I got back from them in email:

Ia Orana from Tahiti Madame Clark!

From Ocean view room you will be free upgraded to the Panoramic view room. Once we will have your Ambassador reference your stays in Moorea and in Tahiti will be updated.

Awaiting to welcome you very soon.

So they'll confirm your upgrade in advance.

Miraim- thanks for the details about embarkation and the marche...we will definately check that out for reasonable gifts; we often do this when we travel and its such a great way to find inexpensive and fun gifts for people. People always enjoy food and the packaging is always interesting! We don't travel for a year next October...sigh...but Im trying to get my research done so we can get flights and pre nights booked. We've got a couple of other trips to manage between now and then. Probably you will be back on PG before I will;)

Lee Ann- thank you for the details on the credit card, while the $200 fee woud probably not be worth it, but we can easily spend $2000 on a credit card before we go and use that free membership to upgrade. Thanks for passing along all your research. It seems like it would be nicer to stay OW in Moorea, I'm sorry we don't have the time to do that this trip.

Since your trip isn't for another year, note that the Ambassador Club membership expires after a year...so don't purchase it until less than a year before your trip.

I'm like you - I like to do all my research well in advance. This is actually late for me to get started - our cruise is in July, and we just booked it a couple weeks ago and are going through the research now. I do have an advantage in that I did this cruise once before, and yes I LOVED it, which is why I'm going back! I took my Mom on this cruise in 2007, and what I remember most was realizing I was in THE most romantic spot on earth...with my mother. :p

This time I'm bringing hubby! :D

The market in Papeete is a lot of fun, and there are all kinds of great ideas for gifts there. I got the vanilla powderll, and that stuff was FABULOUS mixed into home-made creme brulee! I'm looking forward to buying more, I was sad when I ran out.

There's also seamstresses there who will make a Polynesian-style dress for you overnight. Mom and I went there, selected our fabric and styles and got measured, and then picked them up before embarkation. On the PG there's always one Polynesian night, and it's a lot of fun to wear your custom-made dress. I've still got mine, and will be bringing it with me to wear on our Polynesian night.

Lee Ann

After 6 trips I hadnt yet heard about the seamstress so thanks for the same.

I have bought fabric from a shop near the market and had tablecloths made for my Polynesian day at our cottage ( summer home). We also photoshopped pictures of our guests onto some gorgeous polynesian bodies as a surprise.

I think for creme brulee the real vanilla bean would be better. The powder loses flavour after cooking.

The IC has some unusual vinegars that I didnt find any where else. I love bringing back food from all over the world.

A lot of the Regent staff are still on board the PG ( Arnold/Elmo to name a couple) so you may enjoy reconnecting.

Yes, Lee Ann, thanks for mentioning that seamstress, I will definately do that, I also like to get some local clothing when I travel too! I bought a Kuspuk (native Alaskan summer parka) at the Saturday Market in Anchorage and I use it at dusk on my porch in Maine to keep the bugs off! I brought several lovely pieces of fabric home from Africa, but haven't been brave enough to wear them out yet because Im not so good at knots! Is she hard to find? I worry if Marion didnt see her there, Im sure to miss her.

Im glad you are getting to bring your hubby this trip! My husband actually picked this one...I had my eye on a small European cruise and was already obsessing about what to do in each port (Im a bit of a planner too!:o) and when he saw the PG brochure he rightly concluded that this was just the thing for a relaxing and romantic 25th anniversary trip! We are going to do the ceremony on board, that looks so nice! There is at least one other anniversary couple on our roll call. They were married the very same day (Oct 10).

Marion , that photoshop idea is so funny- I may choose a Gauguine and just impose my head on her for all my photos!

Thanks again to both of you for all your advice!

Kathy

Well it's been 4 years since my PG cruise, so I can't guarantee that she's still there...but if I'm remembering correctly she was in the southwest corner, upstairs. It looked like a dress and fabric shop, but she had a sewing machine in the back and would make you a dress. Hope she's still there!

Emdee you're right about the powder, not good for cooking - we'd sprinkle it over the top after flaming the Creme Brulee to create the crispy carmelized top. I also learned a trick with Creme Brulee from the PG (which, by the way, has the BEST Creme Brulee I've ever had ANYWHERE!) - put some raisins on the top before you carmelize it, and then flame them too. I'd never had it that way before - the raisins get hot and carmelized as well. OMG now I can't WAIT to get back on that ship!

Archived