Hilton or IC Moorea

DGK

We are thrilled to be planning our first trip to Tahiti with PG and wanting to extend our pre or post cruise stay in Moorea. After reading trip advisor we had decided on OWB at the Hilton and then learned that PG has a special pre or post cruise stay with the I.C. Moorea. The cost would be a savings and wondering if anyone has stayed at either with any comments. The Hilton is definitely rated higher and yet the cost and transfers from PG for the I.C. is very appealing. Any thoughts? Thanks, Donna

Have visited both several times but not stayed in either. The lagoon around the IC in Moorea is not as fresh and clean as the Hilton. Hilton is also great for snorkellers.

My favourites are Sofitel and Hilton in Moorea.

Thank you FlightMedic 555. Have you seen IC Moorea and wondering how it compares to the Hilton ? We would be looking at the OWB. There is a cost savings with the pkg. through P.G. Just wondering if the Hilton is worth the exta $$. Thanks so much, Donna

DGK - think twice about the IC Moorea - water in the Lagoon is not that fresh in the area. I clearly recall one of the Gaugines telling me not to swim off their beach but to take their boat ($15 or so) to the Motu for swimming. We only went for the day.

We are thrilled to be planning our first trip to Tahiti with PG and wanting to extend our pre or post cruise stay in Moorea. After reading trip advisor we had decided on OWB at the Hilton and then learned that PG has a special pre or post cruise stay with the I.C. Moorea. The cost would be a savings and wondering if anyone has stayed at either with any comments. The Hilton is definitely rated higher and yet the cost and transfers from PG for the I.C. is very appealing. Any thoughts? Thanks, Donna

Donna, I stayed at the IC Moorea in an OWB in November. I booked the room through Paul Gauguin, then received an upgrade (free) through my Intercontinental Ambassador membership. Look into the Ambassador program, as you can book a beach bungalow with PG, then get a free upgrade for the price of a year's membership. The room and grounds at IC are very nice. I'm not sure they're the nicest on the island, but it's not too bad. A number of restaurants and shops (e.g., Tahia Collins) will pick you up at the hotel and transport you to their restaurant or shop, then return you when you're ready. There's another hotel up the hill that overlooks the IC that's fun to visit to have a cocktail on their patio that overlooks the IC and ocean below.

The OWBs aren't totally overwater at the IC (I'm not sure about the other hotels). About half of the room and a deck are actually hanging out over the water. Some of the bungalows are very close to the boat lane through the reef, which may be a plus or not, depending on your point of view (you shouldn't swim in the boat lane, but on the other hand, people watching can be fun). The water is very clear under the bungalows, just like an aquarium under your room.

The IC has a dolphin center on the premises as well as a turtle sanctuary, both of which are interesting places to hang out.

Although the IC was okay, I will try someplace different next time, just because I like variety.

Incidentally, the Ambassador program also entitled me to upgrades at the IC Tahiti in the day rooms that PG books us into before and following the cruise. The upgrades include a big bottle of water and a tray of fresh fruit, which was a nice touch.

Archived