Portland Head Lighthouse?

smitty3000

We will be coming in to Portland on the Carnival Glory the first week of June. Is there a way to get to the Portland Head Lighthouse on your own. I did see a local company who has a tour of the city of Portland and a photo stop at the lighthouse but I would like to spend a little more time there. There is a tour in the morning to Kennebunkport that last five hours so we won't be back until 1 and I would like to go see the lighthouse and grounds before we have to be back at the ship by 4:30. Any suggestions?:)

We will be coming in to Portland on the Carnival Glory the first week of June. Is there a way to get to the Portland Head Lighthouse on your own. I did see a local company who has a tour of the city of Portland and a photo stop at the lighthouse but I would like to spend a little more time there. There is a tour in the morning to Kennebunkport that last five hours so we won't be back until 1 and I would like to go see the lighthouse and grounds before we have to be back at the ship by 4:30. Any suggestions?:)

You could certainly take a cab, it isn't TOO far. Have you considered renting a car? You could hit Kennebunkport (easy to do on your own as everything is in a pretty small area), go back and do the Head light and return the rental. Probably make better time than the tour and cost much less as well.

We really like the commentary of the tour. I have rented cars in ports before and it did work out great. Are there many taxis at the port in Portland? Any idea what it might cost to take one over to the lighthouse? Thanks for the info.:)

Portland taxis are $1.90 for the first 1/10 of a mile, $.30 for each additional 1/10th.

Looks like about 6 miles each way, so around $40, plus whatever they charge you for waiting when you are exploring the lighthouse.

Portland taxis are $1.90 for the first 1/10 of a mile, $.30 for each additional 1/10th.

Looks like about 6 miles each way, so around $40, plus whatever they charge you for waiting when you are exploring the lighthouse.

That sounds about right. A little pricey but it is a pretty spot. No public transportation to Head Light that I know of.

Archived