Evening attire for men

hguy47

We leave for Tahiti tomorrow for our May 5 sailing, and we are very excited. I was looking through the pamphlet that PG sent us with our documents, and it stated what some of you have indicated, that "country club casual, or elegant resort wear, is appropriate dress for all evenings aboard The Gauguin." As expected, it says that means "collared shirts for men," but then adds "(no golf shirts)." So, I shouldn't wear any nice polo shirts or such to dinner, is that right?

The information and advice on this board has been invaluable in our planning, thanks.

We leave for Tahiti tomorrow for our May 5 sailing, and we are very excited. I was looking through the pamphlet that PG sent us with our documents, and it stated what some of you have indicated, that "country club casual, or elegant resort wear, is appropriate dress for all evenings aboard The Gauguin." As expected, it says that means "collared shirts for men," but then adds "(no golf shirts)." So, I shouldn't wear any nice polo shirts or such to dinner, is that right?

The information and advice on this board has been invaluable in our planning, thanks.

I saw people wearing polo shirts/golf shirts (not sure what the difference is) at the restaurants. I found the entire PG experience to be pretty relaxed. Lots of Tommy Bahama type shirts too.

I read that too, and I think something was lost in translation...country club casual IS collared golf shirts, that's the whole point of them-they aren't regular tee shirts, which the golf clubs don't want people wearing.

My DH has a combo of those nice polo or golf shirts and some slik Tommy Bahama style shirts. We are hoping no one tosses us into the sea when we appear in the dining room!;)

I suggest a "clean Aloha Shirt".... with most of the buttons!

Chuck

This is funny Chuck! We summer in Maine where it's also very casual! Our family joke is socks are for funerals and dress up is a shirt with a pocket;):p

I had a colleague in pharmaceutical sales who had the Hawaii sales territory, he said if he showed up in the islands with a suit and tie, the docs would not see him- he had to wear a Hawaiian shirt!

Thanks, guys, I think I got it. I should be OK, and if I'm not they can toss me into the sea with Mr. Familygoboston.

Of course the more people they toss into the south pacific the fewer people there are to book cruises in the future;)

I draw the line at sandals at night. Poor DH knows they are ok by day but nixed at night.

One cruise though we met this gentleman from Germany who wore white shirt and trousers and a fancy pair of red patent shoes for the seven seas party. All the waiters teased him about his shoes and he wore them with pride. He had been on the PG a few times but I have never seen him or his red shoes before or after that trip.

Archived