5/28/12-Fakarava

D-ma

The day started off with me and my DH having a conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Cousteau. Since they were in their diving suits we were not aware at first that it was them. They are truly the nicest people.

I can honestly say that I have visited heaven on earth. I do not think that you will ever see a more beautiful place. We took the ship excursion called Half day to Teahatea Beach.It is a 4 hour tour that cost $120 per person. The description of the tour leaves the impression that it is a beach day. The description does not tell you that you are going to the blue lagoon- a lagoon inside a lagoon. Just picture a cloudless sky, warm multi shades of blue water and a deserted island. This is the Fakarava that I experienced. There are no piers so you get into knee deep water and walk onto pristine beaches. The crabs that burrow in the sand that you can not see on other islands stand out of their holes and challenge you. The blue lagoon is magical. This is where I saw and swam with my first black tipped shark. I can not believe that I was not afraid. They were very curious about me and swam kind of in tandem with me. The fish on the coral were unbelievable. On the way back to the ship we stopped on the pink sand bar to swim or snorkel.

What a beautiful day. I can not recommend this excursion enough-one of my all time favorites.

Donna - it is my favourite too. Only we went there for the whole day with Ato and had his fresh cooked fish. What a beautiful place - the closest to Paradise in my mind.

If you like it you must take the ship to the cooks at some time - Aitutaki is another paradise found - though I must admit that there were more people there.

I have chosen to take the 10 day again just because I want to visit Fakarava.

Archived