Last minute tips from PG Cruisers

leo1612

Ok guys, I leave LAX tonight for my 7 day Society Islands Cruise that starts tomorrow night. Do you have any "day of departure" tips that you think may be helpful? I used alot of the packing tips I found here. I have my visa card, visa debit card, some cash and my passport. Tons of sunscreen. I probably packed too much but I may pull some things out of the suitcase when I get home from work....yeah, I'm working today! Any tips you have would be helpful.

Regarding visa. I had problems with using it on Moorea more than once.

Make sure you tell your provider where you will be.

Had to hike back to the ship to get Travelers Cheques in order to buy pearls.

Ship takes US TCs in case you like them. I find them very convenient for cruises and in the far east not so the rest of the world.

And most important - relax and enjoy your trip. Just soak up the beautiful scenery.

Thank you, Emdee. Wow, everything I read said Visa and MC were accepted everywhere in that area. I don't even use the Visa cards I 'm taking but planned to use them for this sole purpose. And yes, I did contact the companies to let them know I would be traveling to FP and possibly using them there. Hmmm, wondering if I should pick up some traveler's cheques on the way to the airport. Thanks again!

I'd be interested to hear what you end up doing in Raiatea. You get there on a Sunday (we are on the cruise the week after yours) and the shops are closed. The tour I wanted to do with Bruno, we can't seem to get anyone else to sign up for it (we need at least 6). His tour has been super enjoyable in the past.

The ships excursion of the drift snorkel is available (but at only $20 less than Bruno's tour which includes lunch and much more) and so we may be stuck with that. I wanted to do something in/near the water vs a land based tour.

Does anyone know if it is easy to get someone to do a lunch on a Motu (islet), let you spend some time there and then come back to pick you up? Has anyone else done similar?

If you see something like that at the docks when you are there on Sunday, please let me know. Thanks.

Thank you, Emdee. Wow, everything I read said Visa and MC were accepted everywhere in that area. I don't even use the Visa cards I 'm taking but planned to use them for this sole purpose. And yes, I did contact the companies to let them know I would be traveling to FP and possibly using them there. Hmmm, wondering if I should pick up some traveler's cheques on the way to the airport. Thanks again!

We were on the PG last January. We used our Visa on every Island with no problems. Small stuff we used $US. Was the same on our 3 previous trips. :confused:

Did not know anyone still used them I am so surprised you had trouble. We have travel into the industrial small towns in China and they accept credit cards.

Would love to hear if anyone else has this trouble so I could look into it for our up coming trip.

TCs are wonderful in Asia. Get great rates at hotels.

All cruise lines take them.

I dont like to rely on ATM machines as they have been know to eat cards and one cannot wait around for the bank to open when you are on a cruise.

My problem was with the CIBC Aerogold. Both times it was rejected in Moorea. Had numerous problems with them worldwide which is a real hassle. Thats why we got the AMEX Plat. Never had a problem with it anywhere. Now that we have a chip Visa we will likely have less of a problem.

I'm thinking about taking your advice in regards to renting a car on Raiatea for our cruise next week. Is there a specific company you recommend to pre arrange that through or can they easily be rented as we get off the ship? And do you remember what the rate typically is for the 6 hours we're there? Thanks

Jeff

Archived