Best excurion (or non-excursion) for a family?

gratamama

Assuming we don't book the obnoxiously priced RCCL 7-day (we're late bookers.... currently $2800 for dh, ds and me right now???!?!) from NOLA on 3/30, we'll be on the Carnival Elation 4/1 with Progresso as a port.

Like I said, it's just the three of us - ds is 8 years old. Very active, but also very curious about the world. I've heard this is not the beach port - save it for COZ, which we've been to.... So in Progresso, do you recommend a Mayan ruin tour (which one), a tour of Merida, something else? We've been interested in the Mayan stuff at COZ, but transportation just seemed like too much in terms of time. Better at this port?

Thoughts very much appreciated. And as always, whatever happens, we always have a good time!

If I had an 8 year old I would probably book AutoProgreso 's tour to Reef Yucatan Resort. They have a huge, gorgeous pool, lots of kiddies toys, plenty of beach, plus they offer a small ruins tour and a trip to a flamingo sanctuary. Snacks and open bar too.

I had to do the ruins tour alone. I couldn't get the wife out of the pool.:D

Yes, the only reason to go to Progesso is the RUINS and cheap booze. Seriously, Progresso is the closest port to the big ruins sites. You can easily do a day trip.

Recommend Uxmal, it's the most beautiful ... comparable to the Roman ruins.

Also, they do have the cheapest boze of all ports......and one of the few place you can get chocolate or almond tequila.

Autoprogreso doesn't go to the Reef Club anymore. They're using a new location, and from the website it doesn't look too great. (Technotel)

Have a great cruise. I would go ruins in Progreso. DH went to Dz.....two years ago and thought it was a good excursion.

Uxmal and Chitchen Izta are both exciting. We've been to both. You might enjoy looking at my wife's slide shows to get an idea of what to expect.

The slideshow will begin as soon as you click on the links below.

Uxmal Shore Excursion

Chitchen Itza Shore Excursion

They will play automatically but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

Happy Cruising!

• 3 months later...
Uxmal and Chitchen Izta are both exciting. We've been to both. You might enjoy looking at my wife's slide shows to get an idea of what to expect.

The slideshow will begin as soon as you click on the links below.

Uxmal Shore Excursion

Chitchen Itza Shore Excursion

Happy Cruising!

THANKS for sharing your slideshow of the ruins in Progresso!! Also, the picture of the sunrise over the water is gorgeous!! :) Sandy

sandys57

I'm glad you enjoyed the slide shows. My wife is the photographer in our family. She puts a lot of work into her website, so it means a lot to her when someone takes the time to view her work.

Happy Cruising!

Archived