Yoga Question

ducklite

I've read that there is a yoga class and that there isn't a yoga class on board each morning. I practice yoga for about 45 minutes each morning, and will bring my own mat. Is there anyplace up on deck that would be good to practice? Ideally someplace aft that isn't wet and isn't in an area where people would be walking. The thought of practicing yoga with a light breeze as the sun is coming up is very appealing. :)

Also is there a view from the treadmills? I typically do about five miles each morning, but I'm a road runner, partially because I get really bored on a treadmill.

I second Tiki's suggestion of Deck 9. I have a vague recollection of seeing the stairs closed off in the early mornings, which is I think to keep people from walking laps there too early and disturbing people in the suites below. Yoga wouldn't be disruptive, though.

There is just a bit of a view past a lifeboat from the treadmills. They do have TVs hooked up to them although the limited channel selection may not help with the boredom. Also, I can't remember if the treadmills can be switched but they were displaying in kilometers and not miles so maybe make a note of the pace you want in metric. :-)

Deck 9 sounds like a plan--yoga is definitely very quiet--particularly the style I practice which doesn't utilize "hopping" to change positions but rather stretching into the new position.

Good to know about the treadmills and metric. Most of them can be switched here in the US, but I'll figure out my pace in KM before I leave, just in case.

I would just ask the desk if deck 9 is closed off. I too think it is because of the no jog rule early in the AM

You may also want to peek at the rear deck just outside of La Palette. Not busy in the morning other than the few coffee early birds.

ducklite- often deck 9 in closed early in AM due to winds. i think it opens after 8:30am or 9am. If you want another outside place not near the seats to do Yoga you could try deck 5. There are no chairs there and relatively empty. I like to do stretches there when on pg.

On my mom's last trip, one of the guests practiced Yoga at Ato's motu. The pics were amazing and looked like a wonderful place.

Emdee's DD

ducklite- often deck 9 in closed early in AM due to winds. i think it opens after 8:30am or 9am. If you want another outside place not near the seats to do Yoga you could try deck 5. There are no chairs there and relatively empty. I like to do stretches there when on pg.

On my mom's last trip, one of the guests practiced Yoga at Ato's motu. The pics were amazing and looked like a wonderful place.

Emdee's DD

Good info about the wind Emdee, I definitely need a place that's not overly windy, and 8:30 would be way too late--I usually do yoga, then five miles, then shower, then breakfast, so start by 6:00 am. Breezy is good, windy is not. I'll take a look at deck 5. I'm sure I'll find a place. :)

Deck 5 has a covering and is where the shuffle boards/muster drills are located. Early in the morning I would head to Deck 6 for the exercise machines and deck 5 for the stretches. Sometimes I would see a crew member there cleaning.

I guess if you want to be very creative you could even do Yoga on the secret balcony. There may be enough room for one person do yoga there and is always open.

Now I have to be careful not to give too many PG secrets away before the real Emdee(my mother) is back in town.

Emdee's DD

DEck 5 isn't private and maybe I was thinking about privacy. Deck 5 has windows on one side and the other I don't recall seeing an access door. The only spot that could have an access door would probably be around the entrance to the grand salon. Maybe Emdee can recall if there is an access door, if there is that would be pretty private.

The secret balcony has a high fence/wall so you couldn't see out if you were sitting while doing yoga.

I can remember going up to deck 9 before 8:30 am. I was told no running or talking as the suites are right below but they said go ahead and enjoy, we just wanted to look forward when entering the lagoons and deck 9 is idea for that. Yes it can get a bit windy sometimes up there.

I'm not really concerned if anyone sees me or not. I just want an area where it won't be windy or wet, where there is room to lay out a mat and still have a couple of feet on either side, and where I won't be blocking people's way. I would most strongly prefer to be able to see out, but that isn't a deal breaker. My typical routine is about 2/3 floor work and 1/3 standing work.

Archived