Deciding Between Itineraries -- and Probably Going thru Hawaii first

delraydoll

Trying to decide between itineraries for 2014 -- would appreciate comments. We've never been to Polynesia, so I'm inclined to go with the 14-nite Marquesas, Tuamotus & Society Islands. We're a mature couple (70 and 80 next year!).

Also, we've never visited Maui (have been to other islands, but back in the 70s). Any comments re making our own arrangements to fly to Hawaii first, then fly to embarkation city at least a day earlier as we NEVER arrive at a port the same day as embarkation.

Have read various threads, including helpful comments by Desertskies120. Feel free to email me direct as I don't check CC often. cyr13408@gmail.com. Thanks.

I would recommend the 10 day Society & Atolls cruise. The 14 day takes you to the Marquesas which has no lagoon and the walking is steep sometimes. This isn't the case on the 10 day. The 11 day has 2 sea days to the Cooks and though nice it can be a bit of a rough ride. I'm thinking about your age and mobility here.

I too would recommend the 10 day cruise. Its a very nice mix of islands and atolls so is great for varying it up.

The marquesas are rugged and unspoilt and are good for nature and hiking.

If you have time on your hands and want a longer cruise then consider the tahiti to fiji cruise with a return from fiji.

I have done them all ( except the australs) and I always recommend the 10 day for a first cruise and the best value.

All of the ten day cruises in 2014 appear to start on a Wednesday and end on a Saturday. If you are making your own air arrangements, you could fly from your home area to Dallas/Fort Worth and catch the American non-stop to Maui. Spend whatever length of time you wish on Maui, but get to Honolulu by the Saturday before your cruise departs (there are flights from Maui to Honolulu almost hourly during the day). Take the weekly (Saturday) Hawaiian non-stop to Papeete and stay there or on Moorea until the ship departs on Wednesday. When the cruise ends, you can catch the Hawaiian return flight to Honolulu that same day. How and when you route yourself home from there is at your discretion. This is just one idea...

I too would recommend the 10 day cruise. Its a very nice mix of islands and atolls so is great for varying it up.

The marquesas are rugged and unspoilt and are good for nature and hiking.

If you have time on your hands and want a longer cruise then consider the tahiti to fiji cruise with a return from fiji.

I have done them all ( except the australs) and I always recommend the 10 day for a first cruise and the best value.

Nice of you, Emdee, to mention this... we are now booked on that cruise. :D

Gerry

Gerry,

You are welcome.

For a first timer this give you the societies, cooks and fiji - a nice sprinkling of different islands and those relaxing days at sea for you to enjoy pieing the chefs in the country fair!

Does you itinerary also include one of the Tuamotus? Maybe Fakarava?

Miriam

Gerry,

You are welcome.

For a first timer this give you the societies, cooks and fiji - a nice sprinkling of different islands and those relaxing days at sea for you to enjoy pieing the chefs in the country fair!

Does you itinerary also include one of the Tuamotus? Maybe Fakarava?

Miriam

No, it doesn't include any of the Tuamotus. We were in Fakarava on our Marquesas Islands cruise last May. We will have 4 of the Society Islands (including Tahiti), Aitutaki of the Cook Islands and 4 ports in the Fiji Islands. We are very much looking forward to this cruise.

Gerry

In preparation for AItutaki I watched survivor AItutaki.

The whole island was shut down to outsiders for almost 6 months.

When you take the lagoon cruise.....a must do....they show you where the tribes lived and where they had the challenges.

It's amazing.

Archived