Portland Maine

Rexscat

Having been on a cruise or two, I know what a new place can be like. * live outside Portland and have most of my life. If you have a question I will try and help.

Just returning some of the great help I have had reading the forums. I have no incentive to support any company or well anything.

Hopefully this will be a long-lasting thread. We will be coming to Portland in Sept 2015. We usually like to rent cars and drive around the area. So far the things that have interested us so far is 6 lighthouse tour and the Museum of Art. We have also looked at the Victorian Mansion. Do you have any other suggestions? Can you tell me anything about the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum (hubby is a train person). Is Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village worth the trip?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hopefully this will be a long-lasting thread. We will be coming to Portland in Sept 2015. We usually like to rent cars and drive around the area. So far the things that have interested us so far is 6 lighthouse tour and the Museum of Art. We have also looked at the Victorian Mansion. Do you have any other suggestions? Can you tell me anything about the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum (hubby is a train person). Is Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village worth the trip?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hi

Ok I would say a lighthouse tour is not worth it. You can hit 5 of the lighthouses In a very short car ride. Only 2 are really spectacular. Narrow gauge is good if your into it, but that is close enough to walk to. shaker village is very authentic and really a fabulous place but it is no-frills. It is not a made for tourist area it is a real village. If you are a knitter you may get some fabulous yarn there. The art museum is an art museum. That about sums it up. If you like shopping going to Freeport and l.l. Bean is an easy drive and well worth it.

Hi

Ok I would say a lighthouse tour is not worth it. You can hit 5 of the lighthouses In a very short car ride. Only 2 are really spectacular. Narrow gauge is good if your into it, but that is close enough to walk to. shaker village is very authentic and really a fabulous place but it is no-frills. It is not a made for tourist area it is a real village. If you are a knitter you may get some fabulous yarn there. The art museum is an art museum. That about sums it up. If you like shopping going to Freeport and l.l. Bean is an easy drive and well worth it.

So then, it seems that what I named are not making the top 5 list. Freeport/LL Bean are no goes for us. What, in your opinion, do you think would be the best things to do.

Edited by pizzalady1

If you are planning on a car then I would say hit Portland head light and maybe the Bug Light. Bug will give you great pics of the boat.

Then I would get out of Portland. If seafood and coast views are high you can go south or head up north past Brunswick to Orrs and Bailey islands (both bridged). If your from somewhere flat Mt Washington auto rd is a bit of a drive but if the weather works very worth it.

Here are some 2013 threads about Portland: threads title:

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments. We think we'll rent a car to photograph the lighthouses, and since we'll have the car, we'll go see the LL Bean store. The trail near the port also sounds great. Looks like there are plenty of things to do if we can just fit them all in.

• 2 weeks later...

You could also take a Casco Bay ferry ride to one or several of the islands off Portland. Fun and relatively inexpensive. Thr Portland Observatory also has good views of the harbor. The Maine Histortpical Society has a good small museum and the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow house is right next door. There is good shopping opinion the Old Port area.

These are all within walking distance.

I am taking a ship sponsored tour that spends 2 hours on land and includes a stop to see a light house. The other 2 hours are spent on a Schooner in the bay. Is this a good excursion for Mid October? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Weather in October could be anything from sunny/hot to blustery/cold. Any cruise to New England/Canada will require you plan to dress in layers.

If you're from a warm climate, you will find being on the water COLD. In October I would recommend that you plan to wear long pants and closed shoes for the schooner... a jacket or windbreaker will be necessary. I'm FROM an island in Casco Bay (where the schooner will take you) and even in the middle of July it can be cold out on a boat. I never go without a sweatshirt. In October I'd definitely dress for cold.

As for the schooner part of the tour, I've never been out on one but I've walked my dog on the pier they use and talked to the crews many times. They are REALLY friendly people who seem to love what they do. I wouldn't hesitate to take a tour with them.

• 2 weeks later...