Jan In Maine

Aunu

Hey Jan, i was reading on another post that you were for a financial institution, im assuming in Bangor, i work for one also, in Bucksport. We have a "sister" branch in Bangor, i was just being nosey and wondered what bank you worked for... My SIL works for Bangor Savings. (not the one i work for)

I actually work for a credit union - I've been there for about 2 years and it is a new adventure, very different from accounting in private business, but I'm enjoying it and have learned much more in the finance area. I never planned on going into "banking" as my first love will always be either tax or managerial accounting.

The whole state of Maine is such a small town, it often feels as if we all know each other!! (and over the years, we probably all do!) - Jan

I'm sure that I will stay in banking, but you made me think of what I would do as a "tour guide" in Bar Harbor - to all fill you your ideas too.

First check when high tide is - that will change when to do Acadia. So loop road would be either morning or afternoon (so things could be reversed)

1. Tour of the loop road (Acadia National Park) stop at the headquarters so that all could get information.

2. Doing loop - stop at thunder hole (before high tide - to get booming sound), stop at all overlooks, stop at Sand Beach (required to stick at least the toes in the ocean - it is very cold all year and thetoes turn blue). Stop at Jordan Pond House for popovers.

3. Check out carriage trails -

4. Stop at Somesville - it is a lovely area, http://www.acadiamagic.com/Somesville.html

5. also S.W. Harbor http://www.acadiachamber.com/

6. N.E. Harbor http://www.acadiamagic.com/NortheastHarbor.html,

7. Stop at Bass Harbor lighthouse http://lighthouse.cc/bassharbor/

6. Stop at a lobster pound to have lobster, steamers, cole slaw, maine shrimp, maine wild blueberry pie all with paper plates/paper towels while sitting at picnic tables outside.

7. Azalea gardens http://www.acadiachamber.com/

Then spending time in the Town of Bar Harbor - walking the path from the docks along the water. Many nice shops in town that have lots of "junk" and items that are made in the area. (all should top at Geddy's for a drink).

Anyone else have other ideas? - Many years ago people who visited Maine were called "rusticaters" as it has always been a slower pace, with lots of wild areas.

See Jan, they could be our first customer! ;)

Im just teasing about starting a tour group... but sounds like you would have the perfect tour ready!! If i read that description somewhere i would be like, sign me up!!

When i was in high school friend and i used to skip school to go to Sand Beach (before there was a fee to get into the park!) We used to actually get in the water a little bit. But it was FREEZING!!! it hurt so bad. We would see people swimming and thinking to ourselves, they are crazy!!!

• 1 month later...

richbum - I guess I didn't mention it because I'm on diet #859 as my cruise is getting closer all the time.

I love Ben and Bill's - the fudge is wonderful - my favorite is the plain chocolate, while dh has chocolate/peanut butter. I always get ice cream while I am there (in a waffle cone) although I have yet to try the lobster ice cream - just doesn't work for me!!!!

Over the years the kids (most of whom are not "kids" any more) have spent hours and lots of money on all the different candy.

Add this store to the must see's in Bar Harbor.

Richbum - nice to meet you, I haven't seen you on these boards before - welcome!!! Jan

Ben and Bills? hmmmm wheres that? Bar Harbor? Im sure ive walked by it but never noticed the name... Will have to be on the lookout next time im down there. Theres an ice cream place right on one of the corners, the street next to it goes down to a nice parking spot on the water, can usually find a parking spot down there unlike the main roads. We usually get ice cream there on the way out.

Hey Richbum! I was down in your neck of the woods tonight. Went down to Richard Parks to look at some furniture with a friend and then went to dinner and Beans. Beans was PACKED! Much better in January when there arent as many people around.

Ben and Bills is right next door to the Army Navy type store. I'm not sure of the name, there is another Ice Cream shop up the road which also has good ice cream, but they don't have the homemade chocolates like Ben and Bills.....

You aren't kidding about the parking at LL Bean. Thats how it is all the time in the summer. Truth be told, it isn't nearly as bad this year as it has been in the past. You were not far from my house if yu were at Richard Parks and Beans. I used to work at the real estate office next door to that, but now I am down the road.

Have a good one!:D

Bangors getting an LL BEAN????? that would be great, one of the only reasons i ever go to ellsworth is for Beans. I knew they were getting a call center there, my neighbors daughter is going to be working there.... how bout that 40% discount!!?? I usually check the ellsworth store for house stuff, like sheets, comforter covers, furniture. Sometimes i find shoes. I'm a plus size so they dont really have to much for clothes for me there. I can sometimes get lucky and fit into there XXL. I was looking for luggage (for the cruise) awhile back and ended up getting it at the outlet in Freeport.

I know what you mean about the traffic in Ellsworth. I live about a mile from work and sometimes it takes forever to get home at night. I try to avoid going to Bangor as much as I can though. Traffic isn't much better there, especially on Stillwater. We do go there when we want to go out to dinner. There is nothing good in Ellsworth. Isn't Beans going in next door to Kohls? How cool is that? For those of you who are chocolate lovers, there is a new chocolate store coming to Ellsworth. Right up by the basketball courts. I think it is opening next month.

I was just saying that Ellsworth needed different restaurants. The friend that i went with the other night is a really picky eater. We ended up going to the new italian place next to Beans, Porcillis i think it is. It was ok. We went to Turriglios about a week ago, that was pretty good. Shes not a Friendlies or Dennys kinda girl, wasnt in the mood for Helens, I dont care for the new mexican place at the top of the hill and she doesnt like chinese so china hill was out. I havent eaten there in probably over 5 years, dont know if its any good still anyways. and then theres Jaspers.

Richbum~any other suggestions besides those? any place that i dont know about?

Maine tourmaline is a wonderful item to bring back from a visit, but is not the easiest thing or most unexpensive item you can find. The best place to go is to Willis's Rock Shop in downtown Bar Harbor - they have been around for approx 50 years and all the people in the store are wonderful. My son collects rocks from all over the world and we have found that the best place to purchase them.

or equally as good is: Jack's tourmaline - (they also have a location in Ellsworth and at the Bangor mall during the holiday season). Other stores will sell tourmaline jewelry,

I have never been able to find a uncut tourmaline, but I'm trying to find a place to go in the state to try to mine them myself. All the sites seem to have been shut down in the past year.

There are other stores in Bar Harbor that sell tourmaline jewelry but make sure it is Maine and not from Brazil, etc.

There is at least one store in Bar Harbor "Hemporium" that sells all sorts of beads.

Archived