Colin Jennings " Best Ever"

Whiskers1

I know this is a bit late but I wanted to rave about a great trip we had and especially a private tour with Colin Jennings. My husband and I sailed the Dawn to Bermuda at the end of May. We hired Colin after reading all the great reviews on these boards. He took us from the Dock Yard all the way up to St. George. We made a number of stops along the way and took many photos. Colin is very knowledgable about the island and the history. Book as soon as you can as his services are very much in demand. You cannot go wrong. :) I will try to answer any questions. The Dawn was so much fun! Bermuda is fabulous. Thank you.

Sylvia & Mike

Hi, Just thought I would add my two cents worth on Colin. We were able to book him for the 14 of June this year and his tour is great. we saw so much of the island, in fact I do think the whole thing was covered in his very comfortable van.

We were to be travelling with another couple but due to medical problems they had to cancel at the last minute.....posted on CC and received a reply shortly there after. We spent a great day with Lesley and Bill whom we did meet at the CC sailway.

Now, he is a bit $$ but our tour was at least four and half hours long. Started at 9:30 and finished up around 2:30. if I recall.

Shame on the people who booked him for the day before and were "no shows". We would love to have done the tour on the first day, but that day was previously booked and then they never showed.

Hope this helps with your questions. Should u have any more, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers Liz

Our tour was about 4 hours and was 50.00 per hour. We thought is was well worth it especially compared to what the ship charges for a similiar tour/bus with probably 50+ people. I am not slamming that tour, it is just what we wanted to do. You get to choose what you want to see and the one on one tour is great. If you go with another couple you can split the cost, it may be slightly more for 4 people but still worth it. There may be other taxis with other couples that want to share but I am not sure how you would go about arranging that?? Most are priced the same. I am sure whatever you decide to do you will love it. Have a great trip.

Hi! I have a question for you! How far in advance did you book your tour with him? I've sent him an email but haven't received a response yet (it's been about 3-4 days). We will be there on the 23rd of July so I didn't want to wait too much longer. I wasn't sure if he needed weeks in advance or just a few days in advance to book a tour. So he is willing to take just 2 people for a tour? Thanks for your info!

Hi! I have a question for you! How far in advance did you book your tour with him? I've sent him an email but haven't received a response yet (it's been about 3-4 days). We will be there on the 23rd of July so I didn't want to wait too much longer. I wasn't sure if he needed weeks in advance or just a few days in advance to book a tour. So he is willing to take just 2 people for a tour? Thanks for your info!

I'm waiting for him to send a response too. We also need to know if he is willing to take just 2 people for a tour.

Colin will take from 1 to 4 people for $ 50 per hour. It is a set rate so the number of people don't affect the rate, up to 4. I'm not sure how much it is for 5 or 6 people currently.

Hope this helps!- Miriam

So he is willing to take just 2 people for a tour?

We have him booked for this Saturday!!!!

I'm sure that as long as you're willing to pay the hourly rate, he'd take even just one person. As I see it, he makes the same fee per hour whether it's one person or four.

I had just assumed that he makes a beach stop ... but I just realized that I don't think I ever heard anyone talk about that. So, 1) does he normally stop at a beach, and, if so 2) is there a place to change? Thanks for the info!!

We have him booked for this Saturday!!!!

I'm sure that as long as you're willing to pay the hourly rate, he'd take even just one person. As I see it, he makes the same fee per hour whether it's one person or four.

Great. Enjoy your upcoming cruise and let us know how the tour was.

Happy cruising :D

I had just assumed that he makes a beach stop ... but I just realized that I don't think I ever heard anyone talk about that. So, 1) does he normally stop at a beach, and, if so 2) is there a place to change? Thanks for the info!!

Since you can design your own tour, you could include a beach stop or not; if you are going with Colin's standard tour, you could ask him to include a beach stop or drop the beach stop if there is one included in his tour.

IIRC, there are only 2 public beaches that have changing facilities,

, most popular with the tourists, and
, most popular with the tourists who snorkel. TB is close to St George and HSB is closer to where you are docked.

SBtS

Colin will stop anywhere you ask him to. If you want him to take you to HSB, he certainly will. He drives down to the parking lot, and lets you out as close as he can to the path to the changing rooms, showers, restrooms, concession stand, rental building (It's basically all the same location). If you want to spend some time sunbathing, swimming etc. and you want Colin to wait for you, you will pay for him to wait. You can catch another taxi back back to the ship but you may have to wait for one to appear, based on the time of day you want to return.

What I always do is get Colin a beach chair, and an umbrella. He watches our things for us while we swim. snorkel, eat, use the restroom etc.. We get him lunch and cold drinks, and when we are ready to go, we simply walk back to his cab (where we originally had left our beach/swim things that we took with us off the ship that morning). Works wonderful for us!!! No stress - no worrries!!!!

If that is something that you would like to do too, please let Colin know that before you have him pick you up at your ship, so that he, too, can have the proper clothes/shoes for the beach. He is normally in long black pants and a white dress shirt with black dress shoes. That gives him a chance to bring a crossword, or puzzle book, which he likes to do while he "beach-sits".

Hope this helps!! - - Miriam

Isn't it just easier to wear your swim gear? I hate carring a lot of stuff. Has anyone ever done this?

I don't enjoy walking to the top of Gibbs Hill Lighthouse with swimwear on, and regular clothing over it. Bermuda is hot enough, let alone wearing 2 different outfits at the same time. The same goes for shopping, eating, visiting the restroom etc. Of course, you can't wear swimwear anywhere in Bermuda EXCEPT the beach, without wearing clothes over it. I just don't go to the beach. There's always something to visit and admire, not just HSB, although it the BEST way to spend the afternoon!

You only have to carry it (your "stuff") off of the ship and Colin puts it in his taxi for you. Then you only carry it to the changing rooms, a distance of about 50 to 75 feet from the parking lot. I also take my camera, suntan lotion, hair scrunchies, magazines/book, my snorkel, towels etc. I pack for all parts of the day, not just HSB!

- Miriam

I don't enjoy walking to the top of Gibbs Hill Lighthouse with swimwear on, and regular clothing over it. Bermuda is hot enough, let alone wearing 2 different outfits at the same time. The same goes for shopping, eating, visiting the restroom etc. Of course, you can't wear swimwear anywhere in Bermuda EXCEPT the beach, without wearing clothes over it. I just don't go to the beach. There's always something to visit and admire, not just HSB, although it the BEST way to spend the afternoon!

You only have to carry it (your "stuff") off of the ship and Colin puts it in his taxi for you. Then you only carry it to the changing rooms, a distance of about 50 to 75 feet from the parking lot. I also take my camera, suntan lotion, hair scrunchies, magazines/book, my snorkel, towels etc. I pack for all parts of the day, not just HSB!

- Miriam

I was only speaking of getting off the ship and going directly to the beach. I'm not a beach lover but my husband is. He loves to snorkel. So I will just relax and read a good book. That is why I asked about taking lots of "stuff" with me.

Since this is a thread concerning Colin Jennings, I (erroneously) thought that you were discussing a private taxi driver, who is regulated to a minimum of 4 hours for a tour, not just any driver who will take you to a beach. Sorry. - Miriam

• 4 weeks later...
Hello!

Here is part of an email that I received from Colin today. I will be using him again for 2 days on my upcoming September Explorer cruise, and we have both used him so many times over the past years and refered so many people to him that we have become friends. Here is what he wrote:

""

I do apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I did have a death in my family, my close cousin who I grew up with died and my brother is sick in the hospital and have been extremeley busy. The funeral is finally over so things are settling down again.

Please let everyone know that I am okay and I am getting back to my normal schedule of answering e-mails. I will try my best to answer all e-mails today and I apologize for any people who I may have missed already.

Thank you so much for your concerns and I am also looking forward to seeing you all soon too.

So please hang in there and give him a little more time if you're waiting to hear from him. I'm sure he'll do his best to catch up. I promise you he's worth the wait!

His email address is :

colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com

- Miriam

Hello!

Here is part of an email that I received from Colin today. I will be using him again for 2 days on my upcoming September Explorer cruise, and we have both used him so many times over the past years and refered so many people to him that we have become friends. Here is what he wrote:

""

I do apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I did have a death in my family, my close cousin who I grew up with died and my brother is sick in the hospital and have been extremeley busy. The funeral is finally over so things are settling down again.

Please let everyone know that I am okay and I am getting back to my normal schedule of answering e-mails. I will try my best to answer all e-mails today and I apologize for any people who I may have missed already.

Thank you so much for your concerns and I am also looking forward to seeing you all soon too.

So please hang in there and give him a little more time if you're waiting to hear from him. I'm sure he'll do his best to catch up. I promise you he's worth the wait!

His email address is :

colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com

- Miriam

Thank you for the update. I am just a little anxious because we will be there in 12 weeks & many of the other recommended guides are already booked.

Also, do you know if he can accommodate 8 passengers?

Thanks

TT

Thank you for the update. I am just a little anxious because we will be there in 12 weeks & many of the other recommended guides are already booked.

Also, do you know if he can accommodate 8 passengers?

Thanks

TT

Taxis in Bermuda are limited to a maximum of 6 passengers. Here's a recommendation from another poster for a tour guide who has a larger vehicle that can accommodate 8 people.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34744877&postcount=541

Archived