No luggage labels

Cazz

I've booked online with Costa and have been sent our e-docs - yippee :D - but they say not to use prints of the luggage labels! :(

With RCI they sent luggage labels on request, but Costa wont. We have to ask for some at the port.

I'm inclined to print them anyway, I think it would be better to have something on the suitcases, especially flying out from Heathrow.

Any one else travelled without labels?

The luggage tages (either self print or sticky) that Costa send are barcoded and thus will upset the computers inside the baggage area at the airport, so definitely not a good idea to use them til you get to the other end.

You can buy basic tie on tags from somewhere like Staples or Smiths that are more than adequate & cheap enough to buy...or do as I do and go visit some high street agents and ask for some bag tags to use that you can put your personal info on for the trip.

Hello,

I printed the label Costa emailed (I thought that was the point of them sending it). I even attached them to my luggage before going to the airport. It was put on so tight that the lady at the airport didn't even try to take it out.

I was not going to travel with a stapler.

Thanks for your replies. The embarkation information has this sentence, in bold. I thought this was a bit unusual, hence the question here.

"Passengers travelling by flight reservations with Costa Cruises Guests leaving from London Heathrow - Terminal 5 are kindly requested to check-in at zone D and to put Costa labels on their luggage, in order to be

easily recognized by our assistance at the airport, when provided."

On balance I think I'll print and use them. I would expect the barcode reader machines at the airport to be efficient enough to read and discard any code it doesnt recognise. (Famous last words?!!)

Still a bit disappointed that they dont supply them on request. It would also save a delay with the port handlers.

Heyho, not long to go,

must fine tune my packing list.

:D

Hi Cazz,

I had both: for a cruise from Venezia, Costa sent the labels by email which I printed and then glued to the suitcases just before dropping them at the station (Costa has a nice service from the station to your cabin, just like MSC has in Kiel); for a cruise in South America we picked them up at the terminal (actually the luggage porters took care of it all and it was quite a hard, resistant label which was still on my suitcase nine months after the cruise).

I still remember when Costa had a kind of carton paper labels which used to come with the tickets on a lovely folder.

• 3 months later...

We have just had an E mail with our E docs all 15 pages!! seems a bit pointless having paper luggage tags to print out which will be useless if they get wet before they reach the ship for our cruise from Savona in 2 weeks time!

Much cheaper is to buy a wide roll of cellotape and one of those tiny staplers. The cellotape you can put on the labels while still at home and then staple them around the luggage handles before checking in at the cruise terminal.

Thanks for the tip. Just printed mine off today and hadn't thought of doing that. Last time I managed to crumple them when trying to tape them on in the arrival hall, before handing over to the Costa staff

Archived