Tropical Storm Gordon in the Caribbean

Have been following the weather channels hurricane tracker and just stumbled across tropical depression 7 which likely will be upgraded tropical storm Gordon this weekend. Departing August 19th for a Western Caribbean so lets see if it takes it's good ole time in the caribbean and not get into the gulf. Shows in 5 days time it should be south east of Cuba. I love storms so I am all up for a rough day at sea just to see it in person ( I know, I am odd like that but anyway) but one day is enough.

My DH and I like storms too, but trust me, the ship will sail around it -- not to worry -- that is if you'r worried at all. Granted the seas can be somewhat choppy, but that's about it. We typically sail during hurricane season and it's never been a problem. Our itinerary has been changed but that doesn't bother us either.

I don't worry about a hurricane being out there vis-a-vis the ship as I know the captain will sail around it or divert (when booking a specific itinerary during hurricane season, one must somewhat expect itinerary changes). However, I do worry about a storm heading toward my SC home.

I don't worry about a hurricane being out there vis-a-vis the ship as I know the captain will sail around it or divert (when booking a specific itinerary during hurricane season, one must somewhat expect itinerary changes). However, I do worry about a storm heading toward my SC home.

This what happened to us last year. We sailed around Hurricane Irene while on Allure, reversing some ports of call. Then, the hurricane unexpectedly headed towards our home in New York, which we didn't have the foresight to secure against a hurricane. Lots of emails back and forth to arrange for our neighbors to take care of the loose items in our yard!

On Day 5, we realized it was likely that our flight home would be canceled. The onbaord customer service desk allowed us one emergency call to Delta...we were on hold almost two hours, but were able to change our ticket to the following evening without incurring a change fee (those who waited to call couldn't get a flight home for 4-5 days post-cruise). We ended up spending an extra day in a hotel in FLL, but we got home safely, and our house didn't suffer any damage.

This what happened to us last year. We sailed around Hurricane Irene while on Allure, reversing some ports of call. Then, the hurricane unexpectedly headed towards our home in New York, which we didn't have the foresight to secure against a hurricane. Lots of emails back and forth to arrange for our neighbors to take care of the loose items in our yard!

On Day 5, we realized it was likely that our flight home would be canceled. The onbaord customer service desk allowed us one emergency call to Delta...we were on hold almost two hours, but were able to change our ticket to the following evening without incurring a change fee (those who waited to call couldn't get a flight home for 4-5 days post-cruise). We ended up spending an extra day in a hotel in FLL, but we got home safely, and our house didn't suffer any damage.

What a story! Glad you got home safely and your house wasn't damaged.

We also had fun with Irene last year.

We found her in the Bahamas on our Majesty cruise. Couldn't get to Coco Cay because of her, so we went to Key West for an overnite. Monarch was there with us as she also had to divert.

Finally got back to MIA on MJ and our flight was delayed because of Irene. Flight was eventually cleared to leave MIA for DCA and we had a very bumpy ride home to Maryland and, as the pilot said, "Courtesy of Irene".

When we got home a bit later, warnings were out for Irene. She followed us thru out the Bahamas and all the home to Maryland! Little bit of power out at home, but not much damage.

R&D

Archived