Side trip from Barcelona to Montserrat

We fly into Barcelona two days prior to our cruise, but I figure I could enjoy those two days in Barcelona and the morning we leave on the cruise (the ship leaves at 7pm) we can do a side to Montserrat.

Now I need some help with the logistics here.....

Do you think I have time to do this?

If we get up early in the morning and take the 1hour train ride to Montserrat at 8:30am, we can walk around the area for a few hours and take the train back to Barcelona. If we make it to the hotel by noon with our bags ready, our taxi driver can take us to the port by 1:30pm. Our departure time is set for 7pm.

Does the timing sound reasonable to you?

We went with the dreaded shore ex last year because we felt like we didn't have time to do on our own from port (we had visited Barcelona several times and really wanted to see Montserrat--it was AWESOME!!!). But I checked into doing this on my own, so I have an opinion.

I think you will need to ride the funicular from the train station to the monastery, so your timing might be kind of tight. I don't know how often the funicular runs, so maybe someone else can help. The monastery is way UP on top of a mountain with gorgeous views and very interesting geological formations.

That 1/2 day tour noted above might be a better option for you if you do need to add time to ride the funicular on top of your train commute. At the monastery, you may need to stand in line to see the 11th century black Madonna. So probably 2-3 hours there would be okay if you don't have to take time to eat there.

Hope you have a great time.

Donna

I read somewhere that there is a church service in the monastry at 10:00 am with one of the best boys choirs in Europe. Does anybody know if this is only on Sundays or if it is done on any other day? It would definitely add to the experience.

We were fortunate enough to see the boy's choir. They were amazing, but it was very crowded for that performance. I think it was on Monday, and I know it was earlier than 10:00 a.m. last May. I'll send an e-mail to a tour mate of ours to see if they can remember more info.

Donna

Thank you so much for your help. But after speaking with DH last night, he suggested we go see Montserrat on our second morning in Barcelona instead. That way we do not feel rushed.

The day we leave on the cruise, we can finish sightseeing in Barcelona and still make sure we do not miss the boat.

Thanks again

Florida Cruisers, I think you would probably be better off going with your revised plan and can do thing closer to the ship on the day of sailing. You won't regret going to Montserrat.

Cathi, we thought the choir sang around lunch time but couldn't remember, so I checked my trusty Frommers resource and found great information, as always.

See http://www.frommers.com/destinations/montserrat/1175010029.html

The choir sings at 1:00, but I think they are gone touring sometimes performing outside of Spain. Apparently the monastery is very crowded on Sundays if that makes a difference in your scheduling. The monastery itself is quite amazing, but if seeing the choir is important to you, hopefully you can Google some additional information for your specific date.

Hope you have a great time.

Donna

Here's another good site that we're using to plan our time in Barcelona with a trip to Montserrat http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/montserrat-spain.html

There's also a good map of Barcelona and a map of the Metro system which you can save and enlarge for planning purposes. You can also listen to the church bell and boys choir on the site....

Main site is:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/

Thanks all - I guess we really will have to take the side trip to Montserrat. It sounds absolutely wonderful. Spengle the site you gave me says that the choir performs every day except during July,Christmas holidays and few other festive periods so looks like a good bet for June!!

What a timely post. My husband and I were wondering the exact same thing. We will be in Barcelona 3 nights prior to departure and planned to take the Metro to Montserrat. Can anyone who has done this tell us the logistics of doing it on your own? Specifically, the ease of use of the metro (we use them in D.C. and Chicago and have no problem). Does the metro run frequently to Montserrat and back to Barcelona? IS the funicular close to where you exit? Are there places to eat lunch at Montserrat if we plan to stay several hours? Any info would be helpful. We want to do it on our own and not go through a tour company. I am looking at maps to try to plan! Thank you- MO

Hi,

We did this on our own last Oct. We caught the train at Placa Catalunya and had to transfer at Placa Espagna, I think. That train took us to Montserrat. The funicular that takes you up to the monastery was only a few minutes walk from the station. The choir performs at 1 P.M. daily from memory. Allow at least a half day if you wish to see the site properly. There is a large cafeteria on site and also a nice gift shop at the art museum where you can purchase cd's by the choir.Hope that helps, Andy

DH and I did it ourselves last September, taking the train, then 2 funiculars. We only had to change platforms at Monserrat to catch the first funicular - it was really easy, but the total journey took longer than we expected - especially on the way back. It was a spectacular trip - one not to be missed - and I'm taking my Mum after our Splendour cruise this year. I couldn't go in to see the staue of the Black Madonna last time as I was wearing knee length shorts:mad: - I'll be properly dressed this year!

We just returned from 4 days in Barcelona with a group. We took a tour company trip to Montserrat for a half day. It was wonderful!! It takes about an hour to get there, if I remember correctly. Quite a ways from the city. The views are magnificent. There is a mass at 11:00, go inside and sit for awhile. Listen to the monks sing and chant and enjoy the beauty of the abbey.

The boys choir sings at 1:00 everyday (not sure) for only 10 minutes. The church was packed so get in there early to get a good seat. Very nice. We didn't stand in line to see the Madonna.

We took another funicular to the very top of the mountain. More great views and several hiking paths up there. There is a nice cafe in the lower level of the building next to where all the tour buses park. Looked good. Also a gift shop (that we didn't have time to see). Hope your weather is nice. Very enjoyable morning!

Ginny

Yes - the funicular is a train which goes slowly up a very steep track (about 65 degrees I believe) It has a glass roof so the views are spectacular - I think it takes about 30 minutes to get to the basilica. Check the times of return trains in advance, and allow at least 45 minutes for the funicular (we sat waiting for it to fill up and almost missed the train back to Barcelona)

Alternatively you can choose to get off the Barcelona-Monserrat train one stop earlier and ascend the mountain by cable car (ten minutes, not for the faint hearted!!)

Trains leave Plaza Espana every hour from 9.36am and take about an hour to travel the 25 miles. The cost is about 12 euros for a return ticket covering train and your choice of funicular/cable car

Archived