Car rental (or pick up) in port area!

airlink diva

Help Islander or any others from St. Croix!

I've attempted to secure a rental car during my port stop in St. Croix. The problem that I'm having is finding one in the port area or offers shuttle service to their rental area.

No such luck :(!

I would prefer to rent a car and drive around the island myself,but if I can't find a car rental, just have to wait and pick up a tour when arriving.

Anyone help?

airlink diva,

On our last visit we rented a car from Budget which is right at the end of the pier in Frederiksted. Here is the link www.budgetstcroix.com

Click on "cruise passengers" and then choose the vehicle you are interested in to find out just how much. I think I may have called them before hand to find out exactly how much I would pay in the end once the taxes and other surcharges were applied.

If you do it beforehand they will have you fill out the paperwork and fax/email it back to them ahead of time. If you do decide to wait you might want to call to be sure you will have any paperwork they might be looking for. For example, some rental companies want a copy of your ins. policy.

One piece of advice. Be sure to check the gas tank. As always, we noted every bump, dent and scratch with the rep but completely forgot to check the interior. As a result we didn't notice that the tank was down 1/4. We did realize it when we got back but didn't think to go look for a gas station. We tried to argue the point, especially when some folks came in right behind us and stated the same thing to the clerk. We ended up paying to refill even though we only went about 30 miles total. The other folks happened to go by a station and refilled. Gas at the stations is like $2.50 but when you don't bring it back the probably charged us more like $4.00 a gallon. Oh well, we didn't let it ruin our day. I would love to go back again.

Sheal

airlink diva,

On our last visit we rented a car from Budget which is right at the end of the pier in Frederiksted. Here is the link www.budgetstcroix.com

Click on "cruise passengers" and then choose the vehicle you are interested in to find out just how much. I think I may have called them before hand to find out exactly how much I would pay in the end once the taxes and other surcharges were applied.

If you do it beforehand they will have you fill out the paperwork and fax/email it back to them ahead of time. If you do decide to wait you might want to call to be sure you will have any paperwork they might be looking for. For example, some rental companies want a copy of your ins. policy.

One piece of advice. Be sure to check the gas tank. As always, we noted every bump, dent and scratch with the rep but completely forgot to check the interior. As a result we didn't notice that the tank was down 1/4. We did realize it when we got back but didn't think to go look for a gas station. We tried to argue the point, especially when some folks came in right behind us and stated the same thing to the clerk. We ended up paying to refill even though we only went about 30 miles total. The other folks happened to go by a station and refilled. Gas at the stations is like $2.50 but when you don't bring it back the probably charged us more like $4.00 a gallon. Oh well, we didn't let it ruin our day. I would love to go back again.

Sheal

Thanks for the info! I went on the website and booked a car for my day in St. Croix.

I also called my insurance to see how would my coverage extend in St. Croix. I will e-mail them asking for the paperwork to have fill out prior to my visit.

I learn a few years ago to take pictures of the car before leaving and returning. I also take pictures of the full tank line.

Thanks!

Archived