Any infos on the Island Princess???

PTWcruiser

I don't have first hand experience on the Island yet..we are booked to Hawaii in March.

We have cruised Alaska and I would suggest if you are doing a northbound cruise (Vancouver to Alaska), you will want to be on the starboard (right) side. We were on the Sea Princess in 2001, had a starboard side cabin and were able to see the coast as we pulled in and cruised up the inside passage.

Cruising Alaska on the Island princess. Any suggestions on what to do and what side of the ship is the best to stay in?? Any infos will be gladdly appreciated.

Thx in Advance

PTW

Are you sailing Northbound or Southbound?

Going Southbound. Any advice on the trip and on the ship. This will be the first time sailing the Princess. Port of calls??? Activities ???? Got to plan to max out the experiences. Didn't pre-plan my Pride of Aloha cruise and ecountered a nightmare on the ship. The islands where great but the ship...YIKES!!! Again thanks in advance

PTW

PTW - The Island is a great ship. and you have pick the correct direction to cruise. As far as the best side to be on? Wow, being on the ship is the best side to be on. In Whittier, Skagway the ship will dock with the starboard side at the dock. In Juenau (sp) it is port side dock and in Ketchekan (sp) I think you will tender in (they did this year). No matter what side of the ship you select, please make use of by looking out the window or spend time on the balcony looking for wild life in the sea and on land as you cruise. For breakfast and lunch ask for a window table so that you can see out.

If you have the time I would offer the idea to go to ankorage 2 or 3 days early. You will be able to adjust to the different time zone, the amount a day light and enjoy a city and country side that you may never get to. Stay in one of the nice hotels, rent a car, go to the city ZOO, see the sights. At the City zoo you will see all of the animals of the state up close plus many others and at a price that can not be touched on any tour. The cruise line and not control the wild life you hope to see. The zoo is a sure fire way to see them all. I hope this help some.

I have been wondering about this ship as well. Possibly cruising on this next August. I have been searching for a review (not by the cruise line but by a CC) and have not found one yet. If anyone out there has taken this ship to Alaska can you post some input? Thanks.

The Island Princess is beautiful. We took it northbound in Sept, choosing that route because College Fjord crusing was in the afternoon and we didn't want to get up that early on the first day.

As for our cabin, we were on the Caribe deck in C527. We had a nice size balcony (10x10 if I have to guess) that we used everyday, plus we were mid-ship. Perhaps because it was Sept and there were less ships in port we docked at each stop. The only port we didn't face land was in Juneau, but the view was great on both sides so that was still cool.

I'd love to see Alaska again sometime, and wouldn't change a thing :)

Archived