Cabins with pillars!!!

floridakeith

Just returned from an enjoyable Mediterranean cruise on Galaxy for which I will do a full review later. One early hiccup was that we found our booked cabin 5073, an inside on Plaza Deck, had a huge floor to ceiling pillar that made it impractical for it to be configured as a queen (as booked) unless one occupant climbed in over the other. There was no access from either end, only from one side. If arranged as twins they had to be set up in an L shape. We complained and as the ship was not full we got moved to 9237 on Vista Deck. Our single travelling companion also had a pillar in 5069 and our cabin steward said that many of the inside cabins near Guest Relations on Plaza deck were the same. She was also moved to Vista Deck. We always book insides these days as it allows our retirement income to fund three cruises instead of two in better cabins.

If the ship had been full and we couldn't be moved I would have been very angry as this sort of problem ought to be properly described in the brochure deck plan. It is stretching the truth to say in the brochure that "all staterooms have twin beds convertible to queen size, except where noted" when access is so problematic and is not noted.

So beware of booking inside cabins 5044 to 5073 on Galaxy if you want a queen bed that doesn't involve a lot of climbing. Mind you if you like twins and you and your partner want to enjoy a fantasy of pole dancing you will be in your element!!!

A photo is available of the cabin if anyone wants to see it.

I would like to see the pix. To see if I would have a problem with it.

I wonder if anyone else has numbers of cabins that are weird? If they could be posted it would be great.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Although infrequently discussed, this subject has come up before on these boards. Cruiseclues has some really good pictures of Galaxy cabin 5069:

http://cruiseclues.com/galaxy/stateroompole.htm

Also there was an old thread (maybe on the old board) on cabins to avoid. This cabin was listed.

I have read about these before and here is a link to some pictures.

http://cruiseclues.com/galaxy/stateroompole.htm

It was good that the ship wasn't full and you were able to change cabin. I'm not sure I would be too pleased if there was a huge pole in my room either. There have been jokes about this before, so I won't even try to compete;)

Phil

floridakeith,

Thanks for heads up - we are going on the Galaxy in July and will be in a stateroom right where you described. We weren't told anything about a pole/pillar and we have a queen bed set up.

I do think they should state this upfront. Even if they don't discount they should at least let you know. Although a discount or other compensation would be a nice gesture. I wouldn't care about the pole and it won't bother me that much if we can't be moved. But its more the fact that I'm paying the same amount as those without the pole and in the queen bed configuration it is a hassle.

Maybe we'll see if they can move us. If not I might have to wrap it in bubble wrap to avoid any serious injuries.

By the way, how did you like the Vista deck vs. the Plaza deck?

• 5 months later...
Anyone know if Century has these column rooms as well?

We were in one of the family aft cabins (8231) and there was a structural pole which ran through it but it was right up against the wall. It ran through the desk and it occupied some space in one of the the cabinets beneath the desk. Because it was against the wall and did not occupy any true floor space, it was not in the way although it was a bit curious looking.

there are NO obstructions on Century. The agent had a list of all the pole cabins and none was on Century. Whew. And no, there are no poles on Millenium Class ships.

So for the record, which Mercury/Galaxy cabins were on the list? Would be useful information since this subject regularly comes up from time to time....

I met two women on our recent Century cruise who were very unhappy with their inside cabin on the Plaza deck. I'm not sure whether it was a pole they were complaining about or an odd room configuration. I heard them say that it was very annoying, and the beds could not be separated because of it.

Cindy

Archived