Hurricane Season

KarlaC

Need some advice!!! How long (i.e what months) is hurricane season? I am thinking about taking a cruise next November out of NYC (the Dawn of course). I know the seas around here can be rought. I just want to make sure that I am avoiding the Hurricane season. Possibly thinking about the 10 day Caribbean. Can anyone provide a little feedback?

Thanks a bundle.

Hurricane season I think technically does run in to early Nov. We vacation every year the first part of Nov for our wedding anniv. Each year we have either caught a storm or the tail end of a storm. We typically cruise and each year we encounter at least one day of "rougher" waters. Nothing terribly bad, but there is always one day that is not as calm as others. We also usually encounter at least one day of rain. However, you can encounter these variables cruising any time of the year.

We just retd from a 10 day land vacation in St Thomas/St John and once again encountered incliment weather due to a tropical depression south of San Juan. We were fortunate that it typically only rained in the late evenings, but when it did it rained very hard and parts of the island were under flood warnings. Our resort experienced a fair amount of beach erosion due to the water run off from the mountains and even had part of their sidewalk washed away. Fortunately NONE of our plans were hampered by the weather because like I said it rained typically at night. However, once again the first part of Nov proved to be affected by some type of tropical disturbance.

I would say the chance for a hurricane would be slim, but be prepared that it is a possibility even if only a tropical depression or tropical storm.

Actually, hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30th. Things tend to calm down in October and November, but some years have even seen hurricanes in early December. It all depends on what Mother Nature wants to do that year. Generally speaking though, you should be safe with a cruise in November.

a few years back we sailed on the Dream in November-great cruise with MLB players-but there was a late season hurricane that caused us to miss Grand Cayman- (of course GC is easy to miss because of the tendering) The storm started with the letter "J" and was one of those screwy storms that meandered all over the place.

Although hurricane season begins to wind down in late October and November, your "mid-latitude cyclone" season is just beginning. These are the typical winter storms seen across the USA and North Pacific/Atlantic. These storms are generally affect a greater area then hurricanes, and the effect on waves/swells/winds can seem as severe as being on the outskirts of a hurricane. Even when the storm passes, high pressure building in behind the system can cause high seas and a rough ride. Generally, these conditions will be worse off the Northeast and subside as you travel southward into the Caribbean.

So, as you trade hurricane season for winter, you can still expect big storms in the North Atlantic.

I hope I'm not being to negative! I'm sure many have great weather sailing from NYC in November, but it is important to know about the overall climate of a particular route at specific times of the year.

Oh, in case you are wondering, I've got a MS in Meteorology, so I've always been interested in weather possibilities while on a cruise.

Thank you very much for the wealth of information. I know it will probably be a crap shoot with the weather...should discuss the possiblity with the BF.

CPayne: sorry to hear about your vacation. At least you were able to make the best of it.

I am one of the "unlucky" Irish descendants...so if and when I decide to go in November then we will probably experience the joys of Hurricane season.;) Oh well, that is what the bar is for right?

Archived