August weather in W. Caribbean Ports?

Hi everyone,

I am currently in a dilemma over 2 RCCL cruises for next Spring Break (April 2006). Maybe in order to solve this issue, my family will have to do both! We could do one of the cruises this August (2005), then do the other next Spring Break. Like my logic?!? :)

With this in mind, can anyone tell me how *hot* it gets during August in the West Caribbean port areas (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, Ocho Rios, etc.)?

I went to Cabo San Lucas in August for my honeymoon many years ago and I swore I would NEVER go to a hot place like that again in the summer. I'm sure it must be equally hot in the ports I mention above, correct? All of our excursions would be water based (snorkeling / diving, going to the beach, etc.)... but is it really too miserable to go at that time of year? Obviously people cruise in August all the time so it must not be too bad.

Is an Eastern Caribbean itinerary any less hot?

Also, I know August is in the middle of hurricane season, but which months of hurricane season are the worst? I assume hurricane season means being subject to (1) rougher seas, and (2) possibly skipping ports? Is that correct?

Is there a website with historical stats on how many ships were impacted by weather by month?

Thanks again!

It is not the heat that gets to you, it's the humidity :mad: We are from California and do not like the high humidity either in the Caribbean or in Mexico. That is why we cruise durring spring break with our daughter or in the winter. Humidiy in both places is a lot less in the winter.;)

Mike

Thanks! Actually when I said heat, I meant heat / humidity. I am from So. CA too (San Diego area), and live 1 mile from the beach. I never go to Florida, etc. in the summer months. My husband is from Louisiana and I REFUSE to visit his family in the summer.

I just figured a lot of people do cruise at that time... they must be able to stand it somehow!

Thanks again.

August is one of the worst months in term of hurricane activity. I don't know if you remember last August... but there was 2 major hurricanes (Frances and Charles, both #3 categoty)..ut it's hit or miss as we sailed August 21st - 28th and had 2 5 minutes rains! ;) Sailing after us was extended to 9 days as they could not return to Ft. Lauderdale.

We were on Western Caribbean cruise on Zuiderdam. The most hot/humid port was Key West. In others it was hot but not that humid. Loved Grand Cayman!

Hi everyone,

I am currently in a dilemma over 2 RCCL cruises for next Spring Break (April 2006). Maybe in order to solve this issue, my family will have to do both! We could do one of the cruises this August (2005), then do the other next Spring Break. Like my logic?!? :)

With this in mind, can anyone tell me how *hot* it gets during August in the West Caribbean port areas (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, Ocho Rios, etc.)?

I went to Cabo San Lucas in August for my honeymoon many years ago and I swore I would NEVER go to a hot place like that again in the summer. I'm sure it must be equally hot in the ports I mention above, correct? All of our excursions would be water based (snorkeling / diving, going to the beach, etc.)... but is it really too miserable to go at that time of year? Obviously people cruise in August all the time so it must not be too bad.

Is an Eastern Caribbean itinerary any less hot?

Also, I know August is in the middle of hurricane season, but which months of hurricane season are the worst? I assume hurricane season means being subject to (1) rougher seas, and (2) possibly skipping ports? Is that correct?

Is there a website with historical stats on how many ships were impacted by weather by month?

Thanks again!

Our first cruise was on VOS in August of 2003. Was it hot? Yes but did not seem too much worse than the heat/humidity we happened to have at home at that time.

Again, we did all water based excursions-Beach at Labadee (chairs in the shade), snorkeling at Cozumel and Caymans and Dunns River in Jamaica. It was not unbearable for us, though we did get some nice color (read: red!!).

Make sure to drink plenty of water and use lots of sunscreen. Wear a hat (your head really itches if it is sunburned) and a T shirt. We wore shirts while snorkeling to avoid getting fried.

The seas were okay and it seemed to only rain at night for us. Never rained during the day. I am not the best person to ask in terms of ship movement/how the seas are as I am very sensitive to the motion and wear my "patch" behind my ear.

However, I don't plan to cruise during August again unless it is Alaska-WAY too crowded for my taste. We travelled with my DB and SIL and she is a teacher so we had to go during the summer. Plus it was their anniversary the week we were away.

JMHO..........

Yes, I did think of Alaska for a fleeting moment, based on the time of year... but since we're looking for a place to scuba dive and snorkel, that won't work too well unfortunately!!

Hawaii would be good that time of year, but I could never cruise in Hawaii.... when we're there I like to be on the islands 24/7. :)

Soooo... anyone else? Anyone who cruised in August in the Caribbean and said "never again"?

We cruised August two years ago on the Rhapsody out of Galveston. We had flat seas the whole trip......luck of the weather as far as hurricanes/tropical storms go.

The heat? It was hot in Coz and GC!!! Great if you like getting to a beach!!! or snorkel.

We have done 3 trips in Dec and prefer the warmer....er hotter months

Guest OBAYbee
Soooo... anyone else? Anyone who cruised in August in the Caribbean and said "never again"?

We've cruised both east and west Caribbean in August. It was hot during the day, but once the sun went down it was comfortable out.

All I would suggest is pack accordingly. Wear shorts on tours, t-shirts and comfy shoes. Bring a visor or straw hat and WATER.

I am one that does not tolerate the heat well and while I found the early afternoon hours too hot most days I never felt like I could not participate in a tour.

I own this personal fanny pack mist fan. Every cruise we go on passengers ALWAYS ask me where they can buy one.

http://www.mistymate.com/2600004.html

To the OP, thanks for asking this question. We are going on EOS 8/28/05 and I am concerned about hurricane season. This will be our first cruise and I really want it to go well.

As far as the heat goes, I can deal. We live in Oklahoma and it can get pretty steamy sometimes in the summer. I figure the more I sweat the skinnier I feel.:)

2 Words, Hot and Hurricane. Hot has already been discussed. Remember, you are traveiling in the prime huricane season, so ports may be cancelled, your ship may be doing a different itenerary all together depending on the weather. In the worst case scenario, as happened several times in 2004, when FL took several direct hits, cruises were cancelled all together. I'm not saying don't go in august (I am), however just beware of that risk!

I could not believe last year how many people were on here bashing the cruise lines, (Rccl, Princess, Carnival, etc etc not just one) because ports were missed due to active storms!

I will be on my 6th cruise on July 17th aboard Rhapsody. I was booked in August but moved it because my 14 year old has football camp. Last year in August we were in Key West right before hurricane Charlie got there and the weather was nice with sunny blue skies and very hot. Next stop Grand Cayman, plans changed and Grand Cayman was canceled because Hurricane Charlie just destroyed Grand Cayman. My son and I were so bummed out because we had planned to buy lots of Tortuga Rum cakes and buy a black coral peice. The Captain announced that we would be heading to Costa Maya, Mexico. All passengers that had booked excursions for Grand Cayman Islands had to re-select a excursion for Costa Maya. No Grand Cayman Rum cakes in Costa Maya so I booked a Dune Buggy ride in the jungle. It was a blast, and the weather was HOT, incredibly hot and my son and I acquired severly bad sunburns even with a high spf sunscreen. Hot Hot Hot and in my opinion the later you go into July and August the higher risk it seems to be for Hurricane related issues like being re-routed to a different Island. I know at some point the seas were really rough and the waves were pretty big but it was not scary, just amazing to watch the mysterious ocean stormy. The ship had a little extra movement but it was nothing we could not handle. I am hoping for no Hurricanes this year. And I would cruise again in August. The only other thing about August especially around August 7th is that it is the last week before many schools start so the ship will have lots of children, kids, young people. I travel with my 14 year old so I have no problem with young travelers on the ship.

Dont give up on your cruise for August, it will be hot but you will survive. As far as hurricanes there is nothing you can do except go wherevever the ship takes you. I would travel in August w/o a doubt but changed to July for my son's participation in High School football. Good Luck

The weather is hot, hot, hot. Didn't they write a song with the same name?:)

As far as hurricanes, August is not usually an active month. I lived in Florida for years and with the exception of last years active season there really hasn't been anything bad since Andrew back in 92 when he went in below Miami. You just never know when a storm is going to brew. Mid September through mid October is the height of hurricane season. Last year was my first time in many years of cruising that my cruise was altered due to a storm. It actually turned out to be two days longer.

Archived