When will CCL tell us if or where we are sailing due to Hurricane Emily?

sdwilson

Does anyone know when we will be told what changes have been made to our trip due to Hurricane Emily. I have called CCL and have had no luck getting any information. They say check back later! Well, to me -- it is later!! We leave Sunday!

We are sailing from New Orleans on the Conquest this Sunday! We were suppose to port at Jamiaca Wed, Grand Cayman Thurs and Cozumel Friday. I am pretty sure that this is not the case any longer with the situation w/ Emily.

So, why don't they tell us. I called and was told that we would be informed at a later date!!

Well, I am leaving home today!! We really need to know!

Anyone have any advice for me? Has this happened to you?

I guess I just don't like surprises...

You will sail, and you'll most likely sail on time. That's probably why they haven't said anything. Emily will likely be on land or at least very near landfall in Texas or Mexico by Wednesday, so depending on the damage she inflicts you may visit all or none of those ports. Carnival doesn't know, so they can't plan it until she's passed each of those places.

Last year Hurricane Frances was the concern for our sailing the Princess Cruiselines CB. We flew into FLL the night before and called the cruiseline a few times and were told there were no changes. We called the next morning two times before heading out to the port and once again we were told no changes. We headed to the port and checked in and boared and were told no changes.

It was only after getting to our cabin and meeting our cabin steward did he let it slip that there were indeed changes the crew had been told about the a day or so before and we could not head east (STT etc.) but were heading west). It was frustrating because it would have been nice to have known since the cruiseline did know.

Soon after a note was delivered to each cabin with the details.

BUT now I know that we were lucky to have gotten out of port. When I think of the people on the sailing after us who did not get to sail at all because of us being out 9.5 days when the port closed. I know we were lucky to get to go, get out of the port, get extra day and nights etc.

Lessoned learned for me.

Good luck and safe sailing!

DC

We were on the Holiday last week. We received a call from Carnival on Friday afternoon prior to our Saturday sailing that we would definitely be sailing and about the changes in our boarding time. We had a rocky first night and had to change our port call of Costa Maya to Progreso but still managed to have a wonderful cruise.

About 3 years ago DH and I cruised from New Orleans, Western Carib. at the end of Sept. Wouldn't you know it that one tropical storm was going to blow through the area like the day we sailed (forget the name) and another one, Hurricane Lily would blow through on our way back.

Carnival and the airline were no help whatsoever with us trying to plan what to do having to come from the San Francisco area.

We were taking a red eye I think on a Friday night and literally didn't know as we were packing if our flight would land or our cruise was going. So, we figured we'll go to the airport, get on the plane, if it has to land elsewhere I guess wherever that is will be our vacation destination.

All actually went ok coming in, we got on the ship, however the ship came back a day early outrunning Hurricane Lily. The motion was miserbale,not seasick miserable, just constant up and down. I couldn't wait to get off the ship. We got off the ship and walked to our hotel and hunkered down until it was over.

We have chosen to NEVER cruise during hurricane season, it far too agravating if you must fly a long distance.

Thanks everyone for your input!

The only reason we would like to konw is b/c it might change what we take with us. DH is a diver and if we are indeed going to a port that we haven't been to, he might choose to dive.

And of course, the suspense is killing me!! LOL!!

Does anyone know when we will be told what changes have been made to our trip due to Hurricane Emily. I have called CCL and have had no luck getting any information. They say check back later! Well, to me -- it is later!! We leave Sunday!

We are sailing from New Orleans on the Conquest this Sunday! We were suppose to port at Jamiaca Wed, Grand Cayman Thurs and Cozumel Friday. I am pretty sure that this is not the case any longer with the situation w/ Emily.

So, why don't they tell us. I called and was told that we would be informed at a later date!!

Well, I am leaving home today!! We really need to know!

Anyone have any advice for me? Has this happened to you?

I guess I just don't like surprises...

Don't know if this will be of any help: We are sailing on the Sensation tomorrow and I e-mailed my PVP. She replied (bless her heart) with this:

I know Tropical Storm Emily is quite a distraction to your cruise - but please do not worry about it right now. New Orleans will not be affected and the Sensation will be sailing. The worst case scenario is that the ship will be directed to ports that are not in harms way, safety is the number one concern.

There is nothing different for you to do. If for any reason there will be changes, Carnival will notify you. Please understand they usually do not make port changes until very close to sailing depending on the storm's position and destinations.

Any more questions, contact me anytime.

Last September we went on the Glory. A hurricane had hit Port Canaveral and closed the port. The cruiseline did not know if it would be open on our day of embarkation. We were told that they might bus us to Miami (3.5 hour drive) and embark there. We did not know until the day before our cruise that the port had opened and we would be cruising from Port Canaveral. Usually, it is last minute decisions made by the cruiseline based on closed ports, weather conditions, and such as to where the ship will embark, cruise to, and debark.

Thanks everyone for your input!

The only reason we would like to konw is b/c it might change what we take with us. DH is a diver and if we are indeed going to a port that we haven't been to, he might choose to dive.

And of course, the suspense is killing me!! LOL!!

He could always take the stuff like his mask and fins just in case and most places are prepared to outfit you completely if needed. We always like to take our own masks and small stuff though and it shouldn't take up too much room.

I think we will go ahead and pack for whatever comes our way... What's one more suitcase? And, I was trying hard not to overpack! So much for that!

I guess we'll find out at the pier.

I love to cruise, the ship could go in circles and I wouldn't care, the ports are just an added bonus for me! DH is the one who likes the ports!

But, I have always wanted to cruise to the Bahamas, so maybe that's where we'll go.

I hope that Cozumel and Grand Cayman aren't hit too hard. We love those ports. Our prayers will be those folks down there...

The truth is Carnival likely doesn't know yet, and even after you leave they still won't know. The NOAA can't accurately predict where emily will be tomorrow, do you really think Carnival can predict what's going to happen in 3-7 days from now?

I've been diverted more than once on a cruise, often in mid-voyage. Hurricannes are such a variable thing that cruise lines often don't know what's happening until a few days before, sometimes even just hours before. The cruise lines are at the mercy of the ports, so they can start sailing a ship towards an destination only to have the port close down as you arrive (this happened to us in Belieze)

The key to cruising this time of year is to focus on ship and the onboard experience, let the destinations rank second. So many people get up in arms if a destination is eliminated, setting their hearts on going to one place or another. Realistically, any time of the year you can miss a port. But in absolutely every port I've ever been to you can walk to the end of the peir and have a choice of things to do for the day. My advice, expect change, hope for the best, know the cruise line is looking out to protect their ship so you'll be safe, and stop fretting about where you're not going and focus on your sudden, new, exciting adventure.

Just out of curiosity: what happens if you book your shore trips through the cruise line and you then get diverted? Do they substitute? Refund? If so, when? And does travel insurance cover independently booked shore excursions if we are diverted?

Thanks!

Tropical Weather Update

July 13, 2005 - 11:00 AM

We are closely monitoring the progress of Tropical Storm Emily. At Carnival, the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is our number one priority. All of our ships currently operating in the area of the storm will maintain a safe distance at all times.

The following information will summarize the itinerary changes to our current cruise itineraries due to the impact of this storm:

Carnival Destiny (7/10/05): The calls in Barbados (Wed.) and Aruba (Fri.) were cancelled. The ship will visit Antigua and St. Maarten on Thursday and Friday.

No other itinerary changes are required at this time.

Carnival is committed to providing our guests with a safe and enjoyable cruise experience. This is the only current info that Carnival has posted.

The NOAA can't accurately predict where emily will be tomorrow, do you really think Carnival can predict what's going to happen in 3-7 days from now?

Actually NOAA's hurricane forecasts are pretty reliable at 3 days. The storm generally will fall within ~50 miles oif the predicted 3-day forecast point. They have very little handle on days 4 and 5, which they freely admit, and they don't even pretend to be able to forecast ANYTHING beyond that.

"through Friday night and Saturday morning, the hurricane reorganized itself and the upper-level environment became more favorable; so much so that Emily regained a healthy satellite appearance with a well-defined eye. The pressure quickly lowered and Emily once again is a Category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 140 mph. Emily continues to zip to the west-northwest at 18 mph heading through the central Caribbean."

This info is from Weather.com They are still saying it is going to go over the Yucatan on Monday/Tuesday, but this is still subject to change.

CCL is still not altering any itens at this time for the week, but I suggest all should just RELAX and let CCL and Mother nature do what they need to do and we can all have a few drinks and enjoy our vacations, we are on the Holiday 18th to the 23rd and I am NOT going to let Emily mess my nerves up on my vacation time :p:):D

Guest nhrich

Carnival IS changing itineraries this week. As of 7:00 last night, Carnival Glory will be sailing the regular Eastern itinerary instead of Western, and Carnival Victory will be sailing the Western itinerary in reverse. Also, Elation appears to be changing to a Bahamas itinerary. They're also monitoring in case they need to make other changes.

Here's the link to Carnival's updates:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/static_templates/weather_update.aspx

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Last year on RC, we were told we would not be making the planned stop at Coco Cay due to storm damage. The new plan was a longer stay in Nassau. We did not find out until we left Nassau that we WERE now going to Coco Cay. I think crews must have worked all night to put it back together. Just shows that itineraries are subject to change minute by minute. I'm blessed with being very flexible, so no fear about cruising during hurricane season. I figure any port is better than home! Now, out on very rough seas -- that would be the one time where I'd rather be home!

Just got off the phone with Carnival on about 30 different issues. The rep said that 50% of current cruises are being diverted. The Western Caribbean Elation cruise is going to the Bahamas instead.

I am going to book my Belize cave tubing shore excursion through Carnival for exactly this reason. I leave on 8/14 and I don't want to be stuck holding the bag if we are diverted. Carnival will refund 100% into your on board account.

He was less forthcoming about what kind of compensation Carnival will give us if we sail a day late... didn't know if it was prorated per diem or not...

Archived