Cruising during hurricane season

chris2597

What do you experienced cruisers think about booking a cruise Aug-Oct....Eastern or Western Carib...? Are the seas rougher during that time of year? I would love to book a trip out of Galveston in Aug.....right before school starts but hurricane season has been so crazy the last few years.....Any advise?

It depends on your stomach for rough weather. If you don't get too seasick and you like rough weather, take the cruise.

You also might do a historical search of when and where hurricanes have struck in the past (no guarantee that's where they will go next year).

You might also check out the number of hurricanes during an El Nino year. I think next year might be one (you can check on that with the National Weather Service).

There are more days without hurricanes than with them. However, that's not going to make you happy if you happen to find yourself in the middle of one.

We don't book during hurricane season.

Roberta

My first 4 cruises were the last week of Aug the first week of September. Its cheap to cruise this time of year but you need to stay fleible because your port could change. How many days onboard can change from it being less days to being a day or two more. (depending on where the hurricane is)

on all 4 cruises we lucked out and had great weather.. Its the luckof the draw. Hurricane season is from June 1 til November with the peak being August and Sept but hurricanes still came at us last year in Sept and OCt.

Don't worry, you will never be sailing in a hurricane, but you may end up in ports that you weren't planning for. Our very first cruise, late 80's, was straight into Hurricane Gilbert, which was a big deal hurricane at the time. We had one night of rough seas and then smooth sailing: because we went from Western to Eastern itinerary overnight. We didn't care because we had never sailed anywhere, but if you have your heart set on a certain port, it's a gamble...

el henry

We were on a cruise last August when Katrina was churning in the sea. The only way we knew she was out there was our viewing it on CNN. We always cruise last week in August and have yet to have a problem.

As a previous poster said, be prepared to change your ports just in case. The ship will never sail directly into a storm.

I was on 2 cruises in hurricane seasonl One couldn't make it back to Fort Lauderdale for 2 days because the port was closed. The other one was out of Galveston during Katrina. We were late to Cozumel and had a pretty rough first day at sea in the Gulf. You take your chances.

I felt bad for the people last summer who were supposed to go to Bermuda, but wound up going to Canada. Don't get me wrong - I've been to both places via cruise and they are both great. I certainly packed differently for Canada than Bermuda - it was chilly and foggy. Far different than sunny, hot, with pink sand and palm trees!

Archived