hurricane season

andy007

My first cruise was in the middle of a hurricane. I still remember what it was like! We didn't have the Carnival Air but we still made it fine. When we got into Orlando and were supposed to fly from there to Miami - the airport shut down. We rented a Van and drove the way praying that the ship wouldn't leave without us. (Ha Ha - there were were driving into Miami in water knee level watching a stream of cars driving out! We looked like we were crazy - but we were not going to miss that ship!) We stayed in touch with Carnival via phone the whole time. Good thing was that many other people were having the same trouble so they held the ship for a few hours. Those that missed it were flown into the next port and were allowed to board from there.

Ever see that movie "The Perfect Storm?" It's kind of like that.

No.. but seriously, best to buy the trip insurance. For insatnce. Let's say you have a cruise to catch from Miami. There is a hurricane threatening but CCL decides it's still safe to depart. However there is airline chaos and you can't make your flight down there. If that cruise sails, CCL is not covering your air (unless you booked it directly with Carnival). Even there there can be some grey area, so I'd highly recommend getting the insurance. Or.. risk being added to the list of the penny-wise and pound-foolish who lament on these boards.

Well, first off, you would get wet out on deck. You might experience some motion sickness. Pretty much guarunteed to loose your hat. You would replace the roof of your cabin with a blue tarp....

Oh wait, that's not what you were asking about....:p

The possibilities of what happens are pretty vast. I think from what I've heard, they took care of the folks affected last year pretty well.

Purchase trip insurance.

Hurricane season is June 1 through December 1st but Hurricanes, Tropical Storms, and Tropical Depressions regularly happen outside these dates. Hurricane Season is thepeak time for hurricane activity not the only time.

Buy trip insurance and then don't sweat it.

If you buy Carnival air, my understanding is they will take care of any changes necessary. If you buy your own, you will have to deal with the airline yourself.

If a hurricane hits around the beginning date of yoru cruise, your departure may be delayed. if it hits at the end, you may get an extra day or two onboard. The captain will do his best to steer clear of any storms and to keep the cruise as smooth as possible.

If you have trip insurance, you should be covered for any air changes you have to make.

We were on the conquest during hurricane katrina and they had to change our returning port from New Orleans to Galveston,Basically, the worst part of it for us anyway was trying to reach the airline to change our flights (you don't have that problen if you book air through Carnival they make all of the arrangements) but, for all the people that drove to the port - diffrent story. But, other than a couple days of rocky seas (and I mean rocky!!) it was a great cruise.

Thanks for info. Could I still buy insurance even though I already made final payment? We don't sail until Aug. 20.

Yes, you can. As has been noted, check third party insurance. Carnival's is very expensive.

Deep cleansing breath, gigi.

That was 2, 3 years ago, it's perfectly safe, if not pleasant, and the captain knows enough to head into the waves than run parallel. Chances of a hurricane springing up without warning are about nil, and frankly, you're probably safer at sea in a tub the size of a cruise ship as you are on shore.

We were in the Gulf during Huirricane Dennis last year. Missed Grand Cayman ($25 pp credit), extra time in Cozumel, one day late returning to New Orleans. We did not book our air through Carnival, but we were able to change our returning flights with little difficulty and no extra charge. Riding out the hurricane was a bit rough - lots of folks were a bit green around the gills - but once the storm passed it was fine. I would say we spent about 10 hours in rough seas. The captain did a great job staying out of the storm's way.

My main concern was during when Katrina hit.... I was going to drive down from Canada and sail from New Orleans... imagine the look on my face if I did that and found out my car was under 10 feet of water when I got back... Driving in snow is bad enuff... :D

As for the picture... its a nice Photoshop job... not real...

Actually, the cars in the cruise port pakring garage in New Orleans were undamaged by the storm, since the French Quarter near teh river stayed above water. It was the looting mobs that took care of the cars.

We were on a short 4 day cruise last year during Hurricane Wilma. It turned into a 9 day cruise. It was the best time or our lives!

Basically we had to stay out at sea a couple extra days because Miami and Ft. Lauderdale ports were still closed after the hurricane went througn. Then there was no place for us to go since the airports were still closed. We were offered to go back on the ship for $100 to complete the remaining 3 days of what should have been the next cruise. For us this was a no brainer!

We had trip insurance with Travel Guard and they paid for the extended stay and my camera that got stolen the second time around! Like I said, we had a blast and did not worry. When we made the decision to go back on we called Southwest and they were very accomodating since the airport was still closed.

If you want to find out more about that cruise, click on the review link under the Imagination 2005 cruise in my signature!

:( We were on the Carnival Conquest when Katrina Hit....We only had one rough evening. it wasn't too bad. Nothing fell off the shelves in the gifts shops. It did make me nervous though. That picture of the Carnival Triumph just scared the **** out of me.:eek: I love to cruise but I also have a fear of drowning.

Nothing fell off the shelves in the gifts shops. It did make me nervous though.

ha! reminds me of the most interesting thing that ever happened to me on a cruise. '95, with the ex-wife, out of Miami. July, no hurricane, but it was windy, E-W. Going S along the coast of Yucatan, close to Cancun, parallel with the waves. [bad thing to do] Ship was racking badly side to side.

The ex and I were in the lounge, forward, waiting for a briefing on how to debark for the tender to Playa del Carmen so we can do the Tulum tour while the ship heads to Cozumel. We look out the starboard windows and we can see:

sky - trees - huts - beach - surf - ocean

ocean - surf - beach - huts - trees - sky

and then all of a sudden everything on the stage behind the curtains topple over and voices shout and people screech and staff start running hither and yon. All the props for the evening's show were knocked over and much was broken, some of the dancers were limping around, and manymany announcements were made over the intercom to go here and attend to that, and do something else besides.

We get our briefing and go down to meet the tender. Once we leave the lounge we get hit with the most overpowering hideous smell imaginable. All the stock in the perfume and alcohol shops right outside the lounge had also fallen over, and lay shattered on the floor.

Like brylcream, a little dab'll do ya. Too much and it's just grease.

geeYOD that was awful.

ha! reminds me of the most interesting thing that ever happened to me on a cruise. '95, with the ex-wife, out of Miami. July, no hurricane, but it was windy, E-W. Going S along the coast of Yucatan, close to Cancun, parallel with the waves. [bad thing to do] Ship was racking badly side to side.

The ex and I were in the lounge, forward, waiting for a briefing on how to debark for the tender to Playa del Carmen so we can do the Tulum tour while the ship heads to Cozumel. We look out the starboard windows and we can see:

and then all of a sudden everything on the stage behind the curtains topple over and voices shout and people screech and staff start running hither and yon. All the props for the evening's show were knocked over and much was broken, some of the dancers were limping around, and manymany announcements were made over the intercom to go here and attend to that, and do something else besides.

We get our briefing and go down to meet the tender. Once we leave the lounge we get hit with the most overpowering hideous smell imaginable. All the stock in the perfume and alcohol shops right outside the lounge had also fallen over, and lay shattered on the floor.

Like brylcream, a little dab'll do ya. Too much and it's just grease.

geeYOD that was awful.

Where is the rum

Where is the rum

long gone, like the wife.

the most enduring tangible artifact from that cruise is the onyx chess set she bought me in Tulum for $25 from a very insistent merchant, and which I had to carry

e v e r y s t e p

of the way back, all 2,349 pounds of it.

Yup.. that will happen from time to time. Scarier is when a ship endures and extreme list that lasts for a long duration.. The typical quote from these is "I swear, we almost capsized." However.. no, no modern cruise ship is actually close to capsizing..

:D All together now... :D

There's got to be a morning after

If we can hold on through the night

We have a chance to find the sunshine

Let's keep on looking for the light

Oh can't you see the morning after?

It's waiting right outside the storm

Why don't we cross the bridge together

And find a place that's safe and warm?

Archived