Hurricane Season

cruiserjanet

I would like to book a cruise to the Caribbean in October but my traveling companions are concerned about the hurricanes. I went on a cruise in October some years ago and there weren't any problems. I told my companions that Princess has contingencies in the event of a hurricane and have been sailing for years during hurricane season. Would you go on a cruise to the Caribbean in October?

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess (CB) for October 21, 2006, for our first cruise. We booked later in the season to hopefully avoid some of what goes on but the more I read, the more that I know that the ships avoid hurricanes and bad weather, so we may get an unexpected itn. change but that makes it more of an adventure now doesn't it? I wouldn't worry, I have heard some people say that it is the best time to cruise as you get the best price and the ships are not as crowded, a nice trade off for something that "might happen" and probably not adversely effect your vacation.

We've cruised the Caribbean in September during one of the quieter years and didn't have any major problems. We had to detour to avoid a large hurricane in the Atlantic that was causing some rough seas. Other than that, the remaining 12 days were the calmest sailing we've ever seen. The day we disembarked, the new passengers found out that there Eastern cruise had been changed to a Western because another storm was threatening the eastern route.

Cruising during hurricane season is a bit risky especially if a storm threatens the ship's home port. Or you can have a significantly altered itinerary. Or a combination of all the above. That wouldn't stop me from planning a cruise, however.

Last year we got off the Star on Sunday, and Wilma beat the pants off of us on Monday. We're in south Florida and the entire week consisted of us monitoring where Wilma would go. We wound up going Eastern instead of Western. I think the most important thing to keep in mind when cruising during hurricane season is that your itinerary can change in order for the ship to keep the passengers out of harms way. We are sailing again this october so it wasn't too traumatic - just the post-cruise depression never set in due to the Post Wilma Depression taking over.

I would like to book a cruise to the Caribbean in October but my traveling companions are concerned about the hurricanes. I went on a cruise in October some years ago and there weren't any problems. I told my companions that Princess has contingencies in the event of a hurricane and have been sailing for years during hurricane season. Would you go on a cruise to the Caribbean in October?
Princess will do everything it can to avoid a hurricane, including changing the itinerary. As long as your traveling companions are willing to be flexible (there could be a change in ports or even departure or arrival dates), you'll be safe and have a great cruise.

If you just want to cruise, go for it. Rarely are cruises canceled or changed in length. Most of the time only the itinerary is changed. Last year we traded Costa Maya for Progreso. We also missed Key West but gained extra time in the Bahamas. You may have a little wind and waves but safety is never in question. I admit to enjoying bad weather so this makes a great adventure.

Cruising during hurricane season can be a risk you take with airline travel as well as the cruise. One of my co-workers went on one the week before Katrina hit New Orleans and the ship ended up in Galveston. Their car was parked in NO and they had to find their own way home. Took several months before they could get the car and had to have it towed due to vandalism. Others who had flown using the cruiseline's air were taken care of in Galveston and flown home. We had done a cruise out of Galveston in September one year and were holding our breath watching a tropical storm pound Galveston the weekend before our cruise left. We were fortunate to have great weather for the trip and another storm followed a week later. We were lucky to miss it too. One good thing about cruising during hurricane season is the prices are usually lower. And you never know where you may end up cruising to.

The Caribbean has been hammered the last few years but cruise lines can adapt to weather problems easier than land based resorts. Late November to June would be your best bet to avoid hurricanes but if October is your only option then a cruise is a better (imho). You may want to consider cruise insurance just to be safe.

Archived