Will Dawn Avoid Bahamas This Week?

Dolphins

Hurricane Frances is expected to impact the Bahamas at mid-week as at least a Category 3 hurricane when Dawn is scheduled to dock in Nassau and Grand Stirrup Cay after leaving Miami. Her options are limited as far as diverting to another port with Key West as the only apparent possibility. She may sail north prematurely if the storm threatens the East coast of Florida. Would Bermuda be a possible option? Anybody know?

DeniseH- While the Dawn is too big to Dock in Hamilton or St. George, she could probably dock at Kings Wharf although I am sure there are other ships scheduled to dock there this week. She could also anchor and tender as other ships like the QE2 and QM2 have done. It would depend how Bermuda feels about exceeding their weekly quota of cruise ships. Since Dawn has over 2000 passengers, they could overwhelm the public facilities if too many ships are in Bermuda at the same time.

OK so all of you on the Dawn this week. I know some of you are in the Internet Cafe.....What have you heard?? Where are you going? This hurricane looks pretty bad. :eek:

From what the local weather forecasters are projecting the Dawn should be headed North before it gets too bad

Just my opinion, from what I see and watching the Dawn and the weather service and noaa Dawn will go to Miami on Wed and will leave and make it's wayward north to avoid Francis. Trying to go to Nassau or GSB would be too much for any ship for a hurricane, Ship passengers and safety are # 1. I wouldnt doubt if she stayed in Pt Can another day (if she's allowed) and left tomorrow to come back to NY.

Just my oppinion

Joe

I just heard on The Weather Channel, that all the cruise lines ( They mentioned NCL & RCCL by name) will be re-routing to avoid the hurricane. Of course they didn't say where they would be re-routing to.

I would love to also know where they area headed? Our daughter lives in Orlando, is in Texas now, but I think heading back today. She isn't a very happy young lady right now. Charlie closed the Orlando airport where she works, she's on vacation this week, but will be back to work on Monday I guess. I am so glad I live it NM sometimes. We were cruising just a day before Andrew hit Miami: not fun!!!

NMnita

This is what I read from our local tv news site:

CRUISES: Carnival Cruise Lines canceled a three-day Bahamian cruise from Miami on Friday and changed the itinerary of a three-day Bahamian cruise Thursday from Port Canaveral, leaving it out at sea. Royal Caribbean International was changing itineraries for several of its ships to avoid the storm. Norwegian Cruise Line's ship Dawn will now be calling in Freeport, Bahamas, instead of Nassau Thursday before heading back to New York.

Freeport (ugghhh). I just hope they will be safe from the storm.

I think NCl is taking a big chance going to Freeport, the hurricane is going through the Bahamas heading straight to Fla.

I know the ships do all to avoid the storm but there heading right towards it!!! Come on now....

RCCL is posting updates on their website about there ships and change in itinerary's. NCL hasnt posted anything whatsoever.

Doesnt NCl care the people on the ship have families and they are probably concerned!!! I would be if my kids or parents were on the ship, I would like to know where they are and where there heading.

Another thing, what about the cruise on 9/5?. Where they going???

People would like to prepare and pack accordingly.

Obviously, Im quite disappointed with NCL.

Sorry guys but I needed to vent..

June (scheduled on the Dawn on 9/12)

This is what I read from our local tv news site:

CRUISES: Carnival Cruise Lines canceled a three-day Bahamian cruise from Miami on Friday and changed the itinerary of a three-day Bahamian cruise Thursday from Port Canaveral, leaving it out at sea. Royal Caribbean International was changing itineraries for several of its ships to avoid the storm. Norwegian Cruise Line's ship Dawn will now be calling in Freeport, Bahamas, instead of Nassau Thursday before heading back to New York.

Freeport (ugghhh). I just hope they will be safe from the storm.

This is my best guess (and only a guess). According to this tracking map

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W%2BGIF/011008W.gif

it looks like Frances will be in the Nassau area Thursday afternoon, but not reaching the Freeport area until Friday afternoon, and by then, the Dawn will be long gone.

Still looks a little too close for comfort though.

I think NCl is taking a big chance going to Freeport, the hurricane is going through the Bahamas heading straight to Fla.

I know the ships do all to avoid the storm but there heading right towards it!!! Come on now....

RCCL is posting updates on their website about there ships and change in itinerary's. NCL hasnt posted anything whatsoever.

Doesnt NCl care the people on the ship have families and they are probably concerned!!! I would be if my kids or parents were on the ship, I would like to know where they are and where there heading.

Another thing, what about the cruise on 9/5?. Where they going???

People would like to prepare and pack accordingly.

Obviously, Im quite disappointed with NCL.

Sorry guys but I needed to vent..

June (scheduled on the Dawn on 9/12)

Hi. I am on the 9/5/04 cruise and I think that the Dawn will stick with the regular schedule if they make it back to NYC. By Monday Frances should be well inland and away from the coast. I think the only reason the Dawn would change ports is due to the damage from Frances. If Miami and Nassau sustain major damage, then the Dawn will have no choice but to change ports.

I hope the current passengers are doing ok. I also hope Frances turns north and away from Florida, but I have a better chance at winning the lottery.

My friends called from Miami today and confirmed that the Dawn will arrive at Freeport on Thursday at 7am. They will depart in the early afternoon and spend an extra day at sea on the way back to NYC.

The Captain also announced that debarkation will start early on Sunday upon arrival in NYC.

I wonder if the ship will be offering any surfing excursions in Freeport? Surfs up!

Only for experienced surfers. I don't think they will be giving lessons. LOL. All kidding aside, I too would worry if I had family members aboard, but last year the story was just the opposite: people were complaining about NCL not going to certain islands because of storms. Passengers were disappointed. I guess you can't please everyone. I have faith in the captains of these ships (all cruise ships that is) they will do what is necessary to avoid rough seas and dangerous situations.

NMNita

The Dawn is there now. Check the bridge cam (did you realize that some of the suite balconies are visible on the bridge cam? not sure I'd want my posterior on the web like that). Looks overcast, but can't tell if it's rainy. Hope they'll be ok.

Archived