Our CP cruise delayed..now what?

susanne316

We live in Florida ..so it's not a problem with airfare. I am wondering what we should do. I did not wanted a short cruise and now we are down to 4 full days:( I am thinking of cancelling the cruise. Compensation is nothing to even write home about and as of yesterday they did not give us an upgrade. However, they did tell us the balcony cabins are opening up fast. One thing is for sure.We will never ever book September again! Anyone else thinking of cancelling?

we just got off the 9/11 cruise on cp we had two ports out of four and we still had a great time - food was good ship was beautiful and the rest was great and after (we also live in south florida) all the weather problems we needed the rest so go have a good time and get a balconey or mini suite which we had.

We were scheduled for the CP today and I can tell you I am so relieved that we did not have to fly out this morning. DH and I decided to take the shortened cruise and we will make the best of it and have a great time. I was also able to change my flights without a penalty due to the weather advisory. Remember Princess has no control over the events of the past few weeks, so I think they are being more than fair.

We were on the shortened 9/6 cruise.............had a wonderful smooth flight down on monday morning, beautiful weather all the way on the ship......fabulous time.....was every bit as good as a 7 day.......had so much fun that we didn't notice .......we were ready to come home in 5........hope u have the same experience.

Sorry guys, who would have thought it would happen again so soon. A few points from my experience several weeks ago on the shortened 9/6 5 day cruise. (I posted on your roll call, but thot all need some info)

1. The offer from Princess is not as good as the one we got. We received 50% refund on cruise price, plus $100 per person (including 3rd or 4th) shipboard credit. I understand a company wanting to save money, and won't comment on whether this is 'fair' or not. I just wanted to point out the differences. For some of you it might make sense to cancel and rebook at the advertised new rate for the shortened cruise. For example if you paid 700 per person for an obstructed, then you could cancel and rebook a balcony cabin at the new rate for the same money. They are scrambling to try to fill the ship and not lose more money.

2. They sailed last time with many empty cabins, lots of balconys empty and some mini-suites. Many in our group called to ask about comp upgrades. A few of us got them. Most were told to check at the pier at registration and they could probably get one. At the pier they were told that they can never give upgrades there as their computers were not even connected to the ship and if they made a change the ship would not know. They suggested going to the purser's office after boarding to ask for an upgrade. At the purser's they were told they could upgrade at $50 per person per day per category upgrade (so $500 for a cabin of 2 to go from outside to balcony. (The price they gave for the late bookers was $500 for the trip-- do the math)

My suggestion -- it worked for me -- call and point out these discrepencies in pricing -- things may happen, but don't wait until you get to the ship. They want to keep you on board if they can, once you are there they care a little less.

3. This cruise will be different besides being shorter. We had only 2077 on board. That made dining easy, (though I never got into trad dining -- had been waitlisted and didn't get it though lots who booked last minute got it). No lines anywhere, fewer children inthe program, never waited anywhere, got lounge chairs anywhere, anytime, seats in shows plentiful. All good. Worked great for us and our 4 year old. Many of our friends felt differently. With fewer folks, and a lot of them last minute going because they didn't have power or whatever, it was not the same cruise-attitude on board. See those posts for explanation. The parties (island night, sail-aways) seemed muted and this bothered a lot of folks. For me the smaller crowd was a plus, for some it was a negative. Now since this storm is not the same and people may be able to get to FLL easier for last minute stuff and princess has a better plan to book new rooms -- this could all change. who knows?

good luck and stay safe no matter what you decide. Praying for those inthe path,

I was on the shortened cruise as well and had a great time. We were disappointed in not being able to upgrade without a charge, especially since being told by customer service that an upgrade was likely to happen. I was disappointed that they only offered Shrek 2 for movies under the stars. But other than those very minor disappointments, the cruise was very enjoyable. We did get a better discount, however, and that helped compensate for the lost days and in making the decision not to cancel.

I am so tired of some of the people complaining because of change in ports and shorter days.

If you don't want to take the Western instead of he Eastern.... and you don't want 4 days instead of 7 days.... DON"T GO!

There were many people who went on the last few cruises this month and made the best of a bad thing. From what I hear they had a great time.

Princess is giving a FULL REFUND. They are giving discounts off this cruise if you still want to go and have a GREAT TIME. And they are giving discounts off future cruises. If you don't like the revised ports and the new length...... rebook for the Spring.

Princess has no control over the weather. BUT, you do have control on whether or not you stop complaining and make the best of it. Why let it ruin a great time.

REMEMBER - You are not owed anything.... you booked in September when you knew it was Hurricane Season. Take some responsibility yourself for making the decision to book in the middle of Hurricane Season.

STOP COMPLAINING and have FUN!

Hey we are also on the shortened trip suppossed to leave today. I'm not saying it is Princess' fault there is hurricane, BUT they should at least be consistant. What ever they offered those a few weeks ago should be the same they offer now.

We are already here and are going but are disppointed at Princess' offering since it was well posted what was offered last time.. I don't care about being upgraded but we should receive the same compensation... :eek:

What good is the refund going to do me if I'm already in FL???? and traveled 10 hours with 2 kids in the car????

Gaynors, hang in there, I'm sure you will end up having a good 5 days. Anytime we make plans and they go sour there is disappointment, no matter whose 'fault' is is. The inconsistency is frustrating.

For those who feel like they need to COMPLAIN about people complaining. Give them a break. You haven't walked in thier shoes today. Venting is healthy. If you don't want to read about their problems and their reactions, you can ignore them. If it is healthy for you to complain about their complaining, then go ahead, you can vent also, but no harm, no foul. I appreciate your opinion also.

Vent, then enjoy -- I'd love to go back on that 5 day if I could get off work.

MissJennie 99~ You are being a bit unfair in your statements. I too was scheduled to go out 9/25 on Caribbean Princess. It is easy to complain when you are so disappointed. I find it very hard to believe you wouldn't feel the same way if your 11/27 cruise was delayed and your compensation was even less than ours. Compensations should be consistent. That is just good business.

As for your title, give me...give me...give me... I do not expect nothing to be given to me. We have worked very hard and invested our own money for this vacation. I had doubts about booking during hurricane season, but you have to admit this year is very unusual.

The "Hurricane Chasers" (9/25 Roll call) are a great group of people. I can tell you, despite it all, if we are able to board this Mon., we will have a wonderful cruise, it is just in our nature to have fun...

Fl residents and fellow cruisers stranded in Fl., our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Take care and stay safe...

Hurricane Chasers, we will see you guys Monday!!!

God Bless...

~Kathi~

We'll be there Monday!!! I'm hoping we can "upgrade" from our inside cabin when we board but...if we're on that ship, we'll be happy! We're having fun just "hanging out" with our friends here in the Embassy Suites and it looks like we probably won't have to evacuate! Yippee!!!! I'll take whatever Princess gives me and smile!!!

and since I live 15 minutes from Pt Everglades, if my power goes out and they say it'll be days til it's fixed, I think I'll jump on the bandwagon for 5 days...hopefully they'll be having "deep" discounts like they did last time.

Hope the boss will understand...:)

Remember disappointed cruisers....it could be worse!

As for the same compensation, I don't know where I stand on that....like the time a friend got a fabulous deal at Burdines...when I went there the sale was over...such is life!

In defense of MissJennie All I can say is that as a Floridian this season has been one nightmare that many cant wait will soon end. Many have lost irreplaceable property and others have lost their lives.

In a world where many Americans have lost their jobs, their houses and their relatives (whether to the economy, a hurricane or a war on terror), sometimes the fortunate few who are looking forward to a cruise loose sight of the suffering others are, or will soon be going through, and how meaningless their own little inconvenience can sound.

Yes, there perhaps is unfairness in how Princess (and other cruise lines) are treating their customers at this point, but all in all they are doing the right things when it comes to the safety of passengers and crew.

Next time you witness an individual in an orange jumpsuit pleading for his life, or a young mother carrying her unconscious child as she herself is dying of dehydration and desease, thank the Lord (or your lucky stars) you are only concerned about the amount of refund you feel entitled to on your cruise ticket.

I agree, and have said many times that there is certainly no comparison to cruise problems and 'real problems' like natural disasters, illness, etc. However, it never ceases to amaze me how folks can rise up against these delayed cruisers for complaining, when I have witnessed over and over some of the same people complaining about much less meaningful things, like chair hogs, saving seats, coffee; some at the same time as groups of children were being killed in Russia. We all complain about stuff, this does not make us insensitive or mean, nor does it mean we don't have perspective on what is really important. Of course a delayed cruise is not the end of the world. Neither is a "lousy cruise director" or other things folks complain about on these boards. Let these guys have their turn also, they are really good people also.

I think for some the complaints come from disappointment. You wait for your week's vacation for months and when it finally gets here, it's shortened or it's not to the place you were hoping to go. It's disappointing, period -- not having anything to do with the rest of the world -- and let's face it, it's human nature to complain.

For others, i.e. people who complain about coffee, etc., they are just acting like spoiled children. The feeling of "entitlement" in this country never ceases to amaze me. We are very lucky to have the things we have. Any time you go on a cruise and feel the need to complain about incidentals, take a long, hard look at the people working on that ship. Nary a complaint from me.

Marly

Ok, Next time we stay at the Embassy Suites. We were maybe 3 blocks fromthere at the Mariott Marina and had to evacuate. Ok, that is what I get for wanting a view of the Intercoastal Waterway or Port. :)

(Candi and Jerry - Making the best of it, after all, what else are we to do)

Candi

newcruiserdave

we all complain indeed! The case here is that we are complaining about an issue resulting from a natural disaster that already has killed over two thousand people and is poised to continue ruining people's lives and livelihood over the next 72 hours.

I too have read many posts where people feel their cruising experience was "ruined" due to the behavior of other passengers or crew staff. these complaints are normal and part of everyday bitching. After all life is neither perfect nor fair, and this is due in large part to all those imperfect people we have to share the world with ;-).

Oh my Gosh! I didn't realize that the Marriott Marina was that close to us!!! Sorry you guys had to leave! You could have come here and "bunked" with us. We have 3 rooms between us and sleeper sofas!! Our kids could have moved to the floor!! Well...we'll see you on Monday!!!

In a world where many Americans have lost their jobs, their houses and their relatives (whether to the economy, a hurricane or a war on terror), sometimes the fortunate few who are looking forward to a cruise loose sight of the suffering others are, or will soon be going through, and how meaningless their own little inconvenience can sound.

Yes but perhaps some of the fortunate few have already done their share of suffering....you don't really know what their lives have been like up until this point do you? Maybe they have had to deal with monumental hardships and have finally made it to a point where they wanted to take a little break, or celebrate the fact they overcame their difficulty. Maybe they have spent months or years watching a loved one struggle with a terminal disease or perhaps they have finally found a job after being unemployed for a long time.

I think it is a little narrowsited to think the folks that are concerned about their upcoming cruises have lead a problem free life up til now.

The National Weather Service has issued a:

TORNADO WATCH

Florida counties

Brevard, Flagler, Lake, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Polk, Seminole, Sumter, Volusia

They always leave us out LOL

Putnam County is also under tornado watch until midnight..but I know that will be extended. Heck, with Frances, we stayed under tornado watch for pretty much the whole time....yuck!

Archived