Scuba diving on HMC. Anyone done that?

Orcrone

Kevin,

I'll be there four weeks ahead of you. If I decide to dive there I'll let you know how it is. Any suggestions for the other islands. I saw your post about Chris Sawyer on St. Thomas. Do you know anything about St. Maarten or St. Johns? I thought I read some negative things about St. Maarten, but I can't remember for sure.

Marc

PS Why don't you switch to the Oct. 30 sailing. I'll have a dive buddy.:D

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

I did the 8 AM dive on HMC and loved it so much that I booked a second one that day! They are all shallow dives (40 ft, not 12-16...even my second dive was 25 ft), but the reef is soo healthy and the fish life is so diverse, probably the healthiest reef system I've ever seen. There are deeper sites that Tracy raved about, but HAL won't allow it, yet. He told me to email Seattle and suggest it, and I did, to them and to the shorex director onboard.

The parrotfish, etc. were some of the biggest I've seen. It's patchy coral, with alot of sand, but truly awesome diving. Tracy, the divemaster, is the MAN! It's so professional and the equipment is top notch. They even had an integrated BC for me!!

I highly recommend diving on HMC, more than once if you can. I saw the biggest lobsters I have ever laid eyes on in my life. Tracy must know where they hide b/c he found them really quickly. DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!

Enjoy,

Nikki

Thanks Nikki,

That's great to hear. I figured on diving at two stops. The nice thing about diving at HMC is DW can hang out on the beach for an hour and a half and I can join her when the dive's over. I notice that it's less than a 20 foot dive. At that depth I could stay under for over an hour on a single tank.

Any suggestions about St. Thomas, St. Maarten or St. John's?

I edited my post, must have been after you read it that I added the info about the depths. It's not quite that shallow, more like 40 ft the first dive, and then 25 the next. But you can still stay under for an hour. Tracy likes to keep bottom time to about 45 minutes. Newbies may not even be able to last that long.

My itinerary was W. Caribbean, and I've never been to the USVI. Anecdotally, the W. Caribbean itinerary with Cozumel and Grand Cayman offers better diving then the Eastern itinerary, and in my case it did not disappoint. Regardless, being under the water anywhere beats being on land, IMHO. Have you checked out the scuba/snorkel board? Also, check out scubadiving.com for info on diving in your ports.

Nikki

Nikki,

While you were posting I was looking at the shore excursions and noticed that the website now says 25-40 feet, whereas my shore ex booklet says 12-16 feet. So my next question was going to be which dives you took. So you answered my question before I asked it.

This is my first trip to E. Caribbean. Last year we did a western cruise and I dove at Cozumel and Grand Cayman. In fact, snorkeling in Grand Cayman almost 15 years ago is what convinced me I wanted to learn to dive.

One last question. The shore ex description calls it a one tank dive, but you're referring to a 40 and 25 foot dive. Is it one or two tanks?

Thanks,

Marc

Each dive is only a one-tank, and I was booked on the 8 AM dive (BTW, they dropped the price on the early dive on my sailing to $59 onboard, and when I tried to get $10 credit because I pre-paid, my account got all screwed up and I wound up getting a dive for free...long story, I can elaborate if you'd like...)

Anyway, the 8 AM dive was great b/c I got on the very first tender, and there were definitely fewer people around. That dive was the 40 ft dive. I was raving about it afterwards and Tracy told me they added a 2:15 dive (normally only 3 dives, at 8, 10:30 and 1:30) with only one guy on it. I ran to the Shorex desk on the beach and booked it. It wound up being me, the other guy, and this very lucky guy who was living at HMC for a little while for his Stanford PhD project on marine conservation (lucky ba*****) :D That was the 25 foot dive, but remember the later in the day you dive, the shallower you'll stay b/c of the divemaster's N2 level. It was cool, they dropped us off at the ship instead of having us dock on HMC and then tender back. There were a bunch of people watching us off their baclony. I felt quite privileged, and my day at HMC was one of the best I've had ever!!!!

Nikki

Thanks Nikki,

On my October cruise we're on HMC from 11:00 AM until 6:00 PM. That's too bad that two of the three dives are prior to our arrival.:( In the online booking site they only have a 1:00 PM dive listed. So I'll just have to go with potluck, probably the shallow dive. It would be great if they added a later dive.

Not a great time. I would have preferred diving relatively soon after arriving, or a little bit later. I don't want to eat lunch right before diving. If they drop us off at the ship after the dive I'll probably drop my gear and meet DW on the beach.

I'm also surprise that so few people were diving. When I was on the Inspiration last year we had about 10 people diving in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

Are you bringing your own dive gear? I did, and used it in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but not on HMC. This was only because we did HMC on Friday and I didn't want to have to pack wet gear that night to have it sit in a suitcase all night...however, as I said before I was pleasantly surprised with the very high quality gear provided...most of it looked brand new or amazingly well-maintained. You know how Caribbean dive equipment often gets bleached out, their equipment was in perfect condition. If you don't want to schelp your stuff and have it sit on the beach all day, I would feel fine using HAL's stuff.

That's odd that you won't be at HMC until 11, is there another ship there with you? The guy who had the 2 PM dive booked told me he booked it about a month before the sailing, so you may want to call HAL to ask, as they didn't update the Shorex page to reflect the added dive.

Nikki

Are you bringing your own dive gear? I did, and used it in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but not on HMC. This was only because we did HMC on Friday and I didn't want to have to pack wet gear that night to have it sit in a suitcase all night...however, as I said before I was pleasantly surprised with the very high quality gear provided...most of it looked brand new or amazingly well-maintained. You know how Caribbean dive equipment often gets bleached out, their equipment was in perfect condition. If you don't want to schelp your stuff and have it sit on the beach all day, I would feel fine using HAL's stuff.

That's odd that you won't be at HMC until 11, is there another ship there with you? The guy who had the 2 PM dive booked told me he booked it about a month before the sailing, so you may want to call HAL to ask, as they didn't update the Shorex page to reflect the added dive.

Nikki

I have my own equipment. I didn't think of using theirs. It would be more convenient for afterwards, but I'll probably just use mine anyhow. HMC is our first stop, so I'll probably just rinse it and let it hang dry. As far as our time goes, we're heading down from Norfolk on Saturday afternoon and arrive at HMC at 11:00 on Monday. They probably couldn't get there any sooner. But yes, there is another ship there the same day. I'm not sure which, but I know it's one of the Vista class ships, and they arrive at 8:00. I'll give HAL a call and check on the times of the tours. But I'm guessing that they're plugged into the same database as I am, so they'll have the same info (correct or not). I'd love it if they would just make the 1:00 PM dive a two tank dive. I'm not sure that there'd be enough time to have a 1:00 PM dive followed by a second one tank dive.

Do you need to be certified for these dives. I have gone several times to these depths but am not certified.
At most ports there are shore excursions for both certified and non-certified divers. However, at HMC there are only scuba excursions for certified divers.

I think that 30 feet is the limit for non-certified divers.
I do know that everytime I read about non-certified scuba excursions it's always advertised as a 30 foot dive. I'm guessing at that depth the benz and air embolisms are not very likely. Although it still would not be a good idea to hold your breath at 30 feet and ascend to the service.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm guessing at that depth the benz and air embolisms are not very likely. Although it still would not be a good idea to hold your breath at 30 feet and ascend to the service.

Please don't think that I am trying to argue with you, because you are right in saying that they are not very likely, but I feel that I should point out that you actually can get bent from a 30 ft dive if you stay at that depth long enough to reach your body's nitrogen saturation point. Fortunately, you have a long time at that depth before that happens. Also, an air embolism can easily happen from that depth if you hold your breath when you surface. If you hold your breath at 30 ft and ascent to the surface, the volume of air in your lungs will almost double and I doubt that human lungs are able to withstand that great of change. So there your are completely correct, it is never a good idea to hold your breath when diving.

Usually dives for non-certified people are identified as either Discover Scuba or Resort Course, and yes they do usually limit the depth to a max of 30 ft.

I thought I read some negative things about St. Maarten, but I can't remember for sure.

Oh, lovely. Do you remember the particular operator? I'm doing my open water certification dives in St. Thomas and St. Maarten this coming January. St. Maarten will be the second two dives and therefore the outfit that will actually send in my certification paperwork. I hope I linked up with a reputable outfit. I got their name and contact information directly off the PADI website.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Kevin,

I'll be there four weeks ahead of you. If I decide to dive there I'll let you know how it is. Any suggestions for the other islands. I saw your post about Chris Sawyer on St. Thomas. Do you know anything about St. Maarten or St. Johns? I thought I read some negative things about St. Maarten, but I can't remember for sure.

Marc

PS Why don't you switch to the Oct. 30 sailing. I'll have a dive buddy.:D

Marc,

I missed this earlier - sorry for not replying sooner!

We just got our Docs for the novemeber cruis so there's not much chance we'll be able to change. Too bad, I could use a dive buddy as no one else in my group is signed up for this dive...

I'll be looking for your review of the scuba in HMC (not that I won't be diving anyway - even a dull dive is better than lying around doing nothing - IMHO).

Happy Cruisin'

- Kevin

Oh, lovely. Do you remember the particular operator? I'm doing my open water certification dives in St. Thomas and St. Maarten this coming January. St. Maarten will be the second two dives and therefore the outfit that will actually send in my certification paperwork. I hope I linked up with a reputable outfit. I got their name and contact information directly off the PADI website.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

Don't worry about it too much. I'm limiting myself to diving in two ports out of five since DW doesn't dive. So I want to dive at the best locations. The impression I have is that the conditions are not as good at St. Maarten as some other islands. Maybe the reefs aren't as colorful or the visibility isn't as good. However, anywhere in the Caribbean will be a nice experience. If you're going for your certification dives I think you'll have a fantastic time and see some beautiful scenery.:)

Marc,

I missed this earlier - sorry for not replying sooner!

We just got our Docs for the novemeber cruis so there's not much chance we'll be able to change. Too bad, I could use a dive buddy as no one else in my group is signed up for this dive...

I'll be looking for your review of the scuba in HMC (not that I won't be diving anyway - even a dull dive is better than lying around doing nothing - IMHO).

Happy Cruisin'

- Kevin

Don't worry about not getting back sooner. I had almost forgotten about this thread. I was kidding about switching cruises, but I'd love to find a dive buddy. I posted on the scuba board, but no one has responded.

I'll definitely let you know what I think of the diving at HMC. I'm also going to book with Coki Beach Diving in St. Thomas.

Marc

Please don't think that I am trying to argue with you, because you are right in saying that they are not very likely, but I feel that I should point out that you actually can get bent from a 30 ft dive if you stay at that depth long enough to reach your body's nitrogen saturation point. Fortunately, you have a long time at that depth before that happens.
Quite true. However, the way a new diver goes through air they'll more than likely suffocate because of the empty tank before getting bent. I'm guessing that at 30 feet the dive tables will allow you 45 minutes to an hour under water. Someone learning to dive would probably deplete their air before that. I remember how quickly I went through air when I first learned.

BTW, I personally don't like those quickie dive courses. I don't think you learn enough to be a safe diver. JMHO

Don't worry about not getting back sooner. I had almost forgotten about this thread. I was kidding about switching cruises, but I'd love to find a dive buddy. I posted on the scuba board, but no one has responded.

I'll definitely let you know what I think of the diving at HMC. I'm also going to book with Coki Beach Diving in St. Thomas.

Marc

Good diving in St. Thomas! I'm diving with family there on our cruise - from the Patagon Dive shop for two tanks and really looking forward to it. Besides HMC, I also signed up for the ship's excursion two-tank dive in Barbados and will snorkel the rest of the water time.

We're finally getting excited as the day draws nearer - as I'm sure y'all are with a sooner embarcation!

Happy Cruizin' (and diving)

- Kevin

Rita,

Don't worry about it too much. I'm limiting myself to diving in two ports out of five since DW doesn't dive. So I want to dive at the best locations. The impression I have is that the conditions are not as good at St. Maarten as some other islands. Maybe the reefs aren't as colorful or the visibility isn't as good. However, anywhere in the Caribbean will be a nice experience. If you're going for your certification dives I think you'll have a fantastic time and see some beautiful scenery.:)

Thanks for the reassurance. If it's just the attractiveness of the reefs, then I am not too concerned. These will be "working" dives anyway and by the time we get all the "drills" out of the way, I'm sure there will only be limited time for viewing the scenery anyway.

I began this process of getting a SCUBA certification specifically so that I could dive at exotic locations during cruises. Since I've become addicted to cruising I figure I'll have plenty of opportunity to view lots of gorgeous underwater scenary in the future!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Besides HMC, I also signed up for the ship's excursion two-tank dive in Barbados and will snorkel the rest of the water time.

They have diving in Barbados too? Ummmmm, the cruise I'm taking in January has Barbados as its last stop (followed by two days at sea ... this one's a Princess cruise). Wonder if I could make a dive there too? Once you finish the certification dives, and they send off your paperwork to PADI, does the certifying instructor make a notation in your logbook indicating that the requirements for certification have been met? Of course, I won't have the card yet since I will have just been certified (hopefully) after the last two open water dives in St. Maarten.

I'd love to maybe make a dive or two (as a newly certified diver) in Barbados as well.

Blue skies!

--rita

They have diving in Barbados too? Ummmmm, the cruise I'm taking in January has Barbados as its last stop (followed by two days at sea ... this one's a Princess cruise). Wonder if I could make a dive there too? Once you finish the certification dives, and they send off your paperwork to PADI, does the certifying instructor make a notation in your logbook indicating that the requirements for certification have been met? Of course, I won't have the card yet since I will have just been certified (hopefully) after the last two open water dives in St. Maarten.

I'd love to maybe make a dive or two (as a newly certified diver) in Barbados as well.

Blue skies!

--rita

Rita,

I believe you can dive with the annotation on your log (in advance of getting your card) but it may require enough time for your cert paperwork to get into the system so it can be verified - much as if you lost the card. To be sure however, check with your instructor.

Happy cruizin' (and diving).

- Kevin

Archived