Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Please do not miss the Blue Mountains. While New Zealand is a beautiful place with wonderful mountain scenery, it is nothing like the unique sandstone canyons of the Jamison and the Megalong valleys. After all, the area (Greater Blue Mountains) is a UNESCO world heritage site. But, funnily enough, there are not actually mountains in the conventional sense.
I highly recommend walking down the giant staircase at Echo Point, walking across the valley floor (2 or 3 kms) and coming back up on the Scenic Railway.

Old July 20th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamfromOz View Post
Please do not miss the Blue Mountains. While New Zealand is a beautiful place with wonderful mountain scenery, it is nothing like the unique sandstone canyons of the Jamison and the Megalong valleys. After all, the area (Greater Blue Mountains) is a UNESCO world heritage site. But, funnily enough, there are not actually mountains in the conventional sense.
I highly recommend walking down the giant staircase at Echo Point, walking across the valley floor (2 or 3 kms) and coming back up on the Scenic Railway.

Thank you for your post.
We are definitely going to the blue mountains. We have booked a service apartment in Sydney. Talked my husband out of driving!! And will book a tour to the Blue mountains. Although there is a car rental close to our hotel so maybe we will rent a car for a day or so!!! Can't wait to visit your beautiful country.
Mary

Old July 21st, 2013, 04:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

All this talk of the things to do and see in Sydney, just makes me want to go back again. We´ve visited twice now in the past 3 years, staying in Sydney pre-cruise for a few days each time. We visited the zoo and aquarium in Darling Harbour, walked the bridge, went to Manley Beach, Botanical gardens etc etc. The area around Sydney Quay and its history was fascinating for us as when we lived in England we lived in Portsmouth where many of the convict ships left before arriving in Sydney. Many of the streets in the Quay area were the same as ours.
Sandy in Spain

Old August 6th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

i have been to Sydney twice and going back in Feb.
I would reccomentd waiting until you arrive and find out the best route to take to see the things out of the city - sometimes the trains come close, and you could rent a car for a few hours or take a taxi if need be, still cheaper than renting for the week.
I did not take the water tour, did not have time, but did take the ferry to Manley beach. Found it interesting that usually you can drink while walking down the street - but, not on the beach!! no glass allowed - nice to see they are looking out for us. I picked up a lunch at a small deli, and took it to the beach and sat where there was a nice breeze - lots of tables outside down the main street, but it was a scorcher the day I was there. Took a bus ride to Philip Island to see the little Penguins, and it was the highlight of my stay! They come ashore at dusk 9-10pm and it is a wonderful experience. Even if sleeping on the bus was not!

Old August 7th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

We just stayed in Sydney for 4 days and stayed at the Mantra Hotel, 2 Bond Street, Sydney. They have serviced apartments and I can highly recommend them. The apartment was perfect....self contained kitchen, separate lounge and dining area, washing machine and dryer, 2 TV's. Service was outstanding.

They are situated in walking distance to most things, including the Overseas Passenger Terminal. There is a supermarket and food hall directly opposite. Public transport in Sydney is great and you can get a day ticket that allows you to travel anywhere, including lots of country places.

email - psoths@gmail.com

Dream as if you'll live forever.....
Live as if you'll die tomorrow.

Upcoming

09 Nov 2014 - Viking Helvetia - 8 days - Rhine River
01 Dec 2014 - Ocean Princess - 18 Days - Med and Trans Atlantic
23 Dec 2014 - Radiance of the Seas - 12 days - South Pacific Islands
11 July 2015 - Celebrity Eclipse - 14 days - Baltic Sea

Old August 7th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are spending 5 days in Sydney in Feb 2014 and plan to buy the 7 days multi pass for the public transport. You can use it to travel on the train to the Blue Mountains and the public ferries for Manly. It looks to us to be great value for $61 for the week
Terry

Old September 9th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

we spent six days in Sydney in March/April (three different stays)...covered lots of ground and saw lots without using lots of public transit...took the ferry to Manly and got a combo ticket to the zoo. Took a cab twice (DH was ill)...other than that...covered from chinatown area to the Rocks...darling harbour to Mrs. macquarries chair.....

137 days at sea and counting

Old September 9th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were in Sydney for two days back in 2009 before our cruise and stayed at the Four Points Sheraton which was very convenient to all the sights.
We took the water ferry to the Taranuga Zoo and got some awesome pictures of all the animals and some across the harbor. We also went to Sydney Wildlife World and saw the Koala Bears and got our picture taken with them. We also went to the Sydney Aquarium. We walked around the Botanical Gardens and the Opera House. It was awesome. I would love to go back and see the Blue Mountains but with only two days we opted to see the zoos and the city. I have heard that the Blue Mountains are somewhat similar to the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina so if we ever go back we will do them.

Old November 24th, 2013, 03:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Blue Mountains by train

We took the train up to the Blue Mountains and they had a ticket that was combined with the Hop on hop off bus. It gave us a lot of flexibility to do our own thing. Just another option.

We enjoy the trains around Sydney as we don't have commuter rail. Maybe if we did, we wouldn't be so keen!

We also did the Captain Cook sunset dinner cruise which we thought was great and good value.

Love Sydney.

Old November 25th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have had to do a few changes on our trip to Sydney. Due to our daughter expecting the end of March, we have changed our cruise time to a 14 day cruise out of Auckland.
But we are still flying into Sydney and will spend a quick 3 days there. Then we will fly to Auckland to start the cruise.

I have booked a Blue Mountain day tour for one of our days. And the other 2 days we will spend exploring all we can of Sydney. I know it isn't enough time to do justice with Sydney, but we will make the best of the time we have.

I am sure we will come back to Australia on another trip. Too much to see and too little time now! But we are very excited about a new grandchild!!

Mary

Old January 12th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you hire a car- a day trip to Wollongong is a must. There is Symbio zoo at Helensburgh - small, but nice. The coast road from Stanwell Tops (where you can watch hang gliders) down through Coledale, takes you over the Sea Cliff bridge and beautiful scenery. Kiama and Gerringong are south of Wollongong and lovely places also. Wollongong is about 1 & 1/2 hour drive from Sydney or you could also catch the train - Illawarra line. Hope you enjoy your stay

Old January 12th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Fletch 1: we are going to be in Sydney for only 1 full day. We are coming back from a cruise and we will have done the city tour with the cruise line. We are staying at a hotel across the street from airport. We are thinking that we would want to do the public transportation you had mentioned to go out in the country....what transportation would you recommend??