Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 24th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Best Beers in the Caribbean

I'm trying to figure out what beers to try on our cruise next month. We're going to Columbia, Aruba, St Maarten, St Thomas, and Curacao. Are there local beers that are really outstanding?
I'm from the beer capital of the northwest (Central Oregon) and also homebrew. I don't care for lagers but if it's 90 degrees plus with high humidity, I suppose I could choke one down.
What would your choices be?

Old March 25th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I found a list of recommended beers on a travel website. The list includes Balashi, Hairoun, Carib, Medalla Light, Kalik and Kubuli.
The Hairoun is not being made anymore. All sound rather dismal according to beeradvocate except for Carib and possibly Kubuli which sound drinkable but not great.
Input anyone?

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy1975 View Post
I'm trying to figure out what beers to try on our cruise next month. We're going to Columbia, Aruba, St Maarten, St Thomas, and Curacao. Are there local beers that are really outstanding?
I'm from the beer capital of the northwest (Central Oregon) and also homebrew. I don't care for lagers but if it's 90 degrees plus with high humidity, I suppose I could choke one down.
What would your choices be?
If you're used to big beers with lots of forward hop flavor, you won't find much in the Caribbean. It's mostly western pale ales and pilsners. That being said, I just go with whatever is local to the island. It may not be the most complex or crafted beer, but it is usually quirky enough to be quite refreshing and different. Just look for people roaming the beach hawking "loca bea".

Past Cruises:

5/2009: Norwegian Spirit - Bermuda
8/2005: Voyager of The Seas - Western Caribbean
8/2003: Serenade of The Seas - Canada & New England Inaugural Public Voyage
6/2003: Majesty of The Seas - Bahamas

Old March 30th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Piton

Piton beer which is local to St. Lucia was one of the best beach beers I've ever had. Might have been a result of them being free flowing on our tour...

If you find it available at any of the locations you mentioned give it a try.

Old March 31st, 2014, 12:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default best beer i've tried in the caribbean

the best beer i've tried was in georgetown, grand caymans. it was called "pirates gold", it was a lager pilsner brew. it had an pretty good flavor for being a domestic beer to the caymans. reminded me of a full bodied version of a michelob amber ultra. the best part of it i must admit was that it was ice cold on a rather warm day on seven mile beach

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Yay, beer!

Sorry, while it may seem plebian and commercial-quality to those with finer-honed tastebuds than I, but I have a fond spot in my heart for Red Stripe.

Ok, tell me one more time...WHERE am I going, and WHY am I in this handbasket...?

Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

As others have mentioned, there is not generally a great variety. It's mostly lager, with the odd pilsner style or other lighter beer occasionally available. I can't recall if I've seen a dark beer there ala Negro Modelo or another Mexican dark beer.

But on those hot days on the beach, a Carib does go down pretty well. Many islands do not have their own breweries and import from others that do. What you do find, and this is off-topic, are sodas that you don't see every day. On St. Kitts, in additional to locally brewed Carib, we enjoyed Ting, a grapefruit soda, and a pear-flavored soda the name of which I do not recall.

Allure, Eastern Caribbean, Nov. 2013
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, Jan. 2013
Freedom of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, Jan. 2012

Oasis, Western Caribbean, Jan. 2011
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, Nov. 2009
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, Nov. 2008

Last edited by CntPAcruiser; April 2nd, 2014 at 11:00 AM.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Kalik
May. 2010 - Carnival Valor
May. 2011 - Carnival Glory
Aug. 2012 - Carnival Dream
July. 2013 - Carnival Dream
June. 2014 - Carnival Legend

Old April 4th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capncarp View Post
Sorry, while it may seem plebian and commercial-quality to those with finer-honed tastebuds than I, but I have a fond spot in my heart for Red Stripe.
I usually only drink it when on cruises, but nothing says "sail away" to me like a cold Red Stripe. I can be a bit of a beer snob sometimes, but even I like a simple, crisp pale ale or pilsner (even as simple as PBR or Narragansett).

On a similar note, did anybody else notice on the RCI promos for the pub on the Quantum class, they list PBR and 'Gansett as "micro-brews"? I may not be above knocking them back, but they certainly aren't micro or even craft.

Past Cruises:

Old April 5th, 2014, 01:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajbman22 View Post
I usually only drink it when on cruises, but nothing says "sail away" to me like a cold Red Stripe. I can be a bit of a beer snob sometimes, but even I like a simple, crisp pale ale or pilsner (even as simple as PBR or Narragansett).

On a similar note, did anybody else notice on the RCI promos for the pub on the Quantum class, they list PBR and 'Gansett as "micro-brews"? I may not be above knocking them back, but they certainly aren't micro or even craft.
LMAO.... PBR(as in post brewing recycling) considered a micro brew on RCCI's pub sheet??? PBR barely qualifies as a "beer" let alone micro brewery status. that's the "brew it for three days, flash pasturize it to kill the yeast, and bottle it en masse" poster child....

Old April 8th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd21 View Post
LMAO.... PBR(as in post brewing recycling) considered a micro brew on RCCI's pub sheet??? PBR barely qualifies as a "beer" let alone micro brewery status. that's the "brew it for three days, flash pasturize it to kill the yeast, and bottle it en masse" poster child....
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantu...s-genuine-pub/

Click on the beer menu, and see the "Craft Beer" list.

Past Cruises:

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd21 View Post
Either RCCI is attempting to charge more by calling PBR a micro brew or those darn hipsters (LOL) actually make it a cult beer. There's a place in the Dallas area that sells PBR by the can and they serve the can in a paper bag. Greatness!

Past Cruises:
RCCL - Voyager 5/13/09 Mediterranean 10th Anniversary Cruise
RCCL - Freedom 11/7/10 Eastern Caribbean
NCL - honeymoon cruise 5/23/99 - hello! orange formica in stateroom

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, all foes to real understanding: Mark Twain

Old May 14th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree, PBR barely qualifies as a beer. Kinda like Boone's Farm barely qualifies as wine. It's what I drank when in the Navy because I was too poor to buy anything worth drinking....
During the 11 days we were on vacation, sadly I only had one single little beer. While doing some shopping in Curacao, a shop owner offered me a Heineken. It was really hot out, the beer was cold (and free) so I drank it. I'd rather not drink any beer unless it tastes good. The Heineken was mediocre at best.
The pub idea aboard the Quantum of the seas is an interesting idea. A couple of the brews look good. Flying Dog, Stone and Founders make some respectable beers. Suprisingly, not a single IPA on their line-up. I'd be more willing to drink an IPA or IIPA on a warm weather cruise than a Great Divide Stout.

Old May 17th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

While in Aruba and/or Curacao, try to hunt down Amstel Bright. IMHO it's better than the wide-spread Amstel Light imported into US. They also have regular Amstel, which is definitely worth a try.

Oceania Marina ~ 2013-04-18 ~ 38 Day Grand Pacific Passage
Norwegian Pearl ~ 2008-12-14 ~ 7 Day Western Caribbean
Norwegian Dawn ~ 2007-12-09 ~ 7 Day Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit ~ 2007-05-05 ~ 8 Day Bermuda & Eastern Caribbean
Costa Mediterranea ~ 2005-01-09 ~ 7 Day Western Caribbean
Norwegian Crown ~ 2004-08-15 ~ 7 Day Bermuda

Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy1975 View Post
I agree, PBR barely qualifies as a beer. Kinda like Boone's Farm barely qualifies as wine. It's what I drank when in the Navy because I was too poor to buy anything worth drinking....
During the 11 days we were on vacation, sadly I only had one single little beer. While doing some shopping in Curacao, a shop owner offered me a Heineken. It was really hot out, the beer was cold (and free) so I drank it. I'd rather not drink any beer unless it tastes good. The Heineken was mediocre at best.
The pub idea aboard the Quantum of the seas is an interesting idea. A couple of the brews look good. Flying Dog, Stone and Founders make some respectable beers. Suprisingly, not a single IPA on their line-up. I'd be more willing to drink an IPA or IIPA on a warm weather cruise than a Great Divide Stout.
I am convinced someone high up in the RCI Food & Beverage corporate team just has a personal vendetta against IPA's. They carry a number of decent beers of various styles in their British pubs (and the new gastropub idea), but never have I seen a true IPA on a Royal Caribbean menu.

Past Cruises:

Old July 27th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisha115 View Post
While in Aruba and/or Curacao, try to hunt down Amstel Bright. IMHO it's better than the wide-spread Amstel Light imported into US. They also have regular Amstel, which is definitely worth a try.

I definitely enjoyed my amstel bright SO much better than amstel light .. not sure why but it was so fresh and crisp on a hot caribbean dayy

There is no love more sincere than the love of food ! yummm <3

November 2007. Disney Wonder. Bahamas.
July 19th 2009. Mariner of the Sea. Mexican Riviera.
October 14th 2009. Radiance of the Seas. Baja Mexico.
May 16th 2010. Carnival Glory. Western Caribbean.
May 19th 2012. Disney Fantasy. Eastern Caribbean.
November 14th 2012. Norwegian Sun. Southern Caribbean.

Old July 28th, 2014, 03:49 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

There are many good reasons why great beers - and great wines - are not produced in the tropics.
Much of it has to do with climate and terroir.
Much of also has to do with local economies and tastes.

Old July 28th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMuzz View Post
There are many good reasons why great beers - and great wines - are not produced in the tropics.
Much of it has to do with climate and terroir.
Much of also has to do with local economies and tastes.
True, BruceMuzz: but the Almighty has provided for this sad lack with the soul of the sugar cane--RUM! (and ginger beer)

Ok, tell me one more time...WHERE am I going, and WHY am I in this handbasket...?

Old August 4th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Belikin on Goff's Caye was the best I've had so far. It was just the sum of all the parts. Cold dark beer, grilled Caribbean lobster, new friends, just came back from snorkeling, perfect.

Caribbean Princess--W. Caribbean, Nov 2013 Full review here or Cozumel/Tulum, Roatan/Maya Key, Belize/Goff's Caye here. Plus post-cruise trip New Orleans
Allure--E. Caribbean, Mar 2013 Read my review! Nassau, St. Thomas, St, Maarten. Pictures are missing
Monarch--Bahamas, Feb 2012 Nassau, Coco Cay
Celebrity Century--W. Caribbean, Nov 2001 Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Cozumel, Key West
Carnival--Mexican Riviera, Mar 1993 Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta

Last edited by whataboutport; August 4th, 2014 at 01:19 AM.

Old August 4th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I like Bank's beer of Barbados, also Red Stripe, Kalik, and Sol.