MSC Divina Children's Program Experience

flhokie

When we were considering MSC Divina with our DD (3 years old), I had trouble finding information about the children's program so I thought I'd post about our experience.

We boarded with DD & immediately received a wristband for her & information about the children's program.

The 1st night was an open house with a visit from Smurf & Smurfette.

Over the next few days DD spent some mornings, some afternoons & several evenings with "Mini-Club."

The room wasn't fancy (like Disney, etc,), but it was enough space for the minis (3-6, I believe) & Juniors (7-?). There was a small outdoor area with a Smurf themed slide & teeter totter.

The staff was FANTASTIC!!! They were so engaged with the kids. Most activities were in 30 minute blocks (arts & crafts, games, etc). There were a few activities that involved screen time, but it was minimal. They'd paint their faces and take them to the shows each evening. One evening they even had them dance on stage before the show. They also took them to dinner at the buffet in the evenings (there was even a kid's corner for them with kid friendly foods).

On sea days, they'd close from 12:30 to 2:30 and 4-6, but on port days they were open 9 am - 11 pm. There were options for later stays for a fee. Parents of small children could also rent a phone or pager for the week.

The staff for the children's program was definitely a highlight of the cruise!

A few side notes....

The minimum age for the water slide is 9 years old. This was frustrating for DD who has done her share of waterslides, but since it is off by itself it wasn't too hard to avoid.

There were 3 pools--1 called Aqua Park, 1 that could be indoor or outdoor and an infinity type pool in the back of the ship. At the Aqua Park they had what they called a Children's Pool. It was 3 areas (surrounding the actual pool area) of water 2-3 inches deep. There were jets/sprayers that were never on the entire cruise. On Day 5 we were informed by ship staff that children were only allowed in the splash type area--not in any of the pools. I'm not talking about diapered children (DD is fully potty trained). While the signage only referred to diapered children and that children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult, pool management & reception repeatedly stated that MSC's policy is that no children (potty trained included) are allowed in any pools other than the designated children's pool (not at all a pool)--even if accompanied by an adult. I asked to see this policy in writing, but they were never able to provide it. Enforcement of this "policy" (as well as no diapered children in any water area) seemed to be very sporadic.

DD had a wonderful time overall & I'd highly recommend the children's program! However, the issues & confusion over swimming pool policies definitely put a damper on the overall experience.

Feel free to ask me any questions & I'll do my best to answer.

When we were considering MSC Divina with our DD (3 years old), I had trouble finding information about the children's program so I thought I'd post about our experience.

We boarded with DD & immediately received a wristband for her & information about the children's program.

The 1st night was an open house with a visit from Smurf & Smurfette.

Over the next few days DD spent some mornings, some afternoons & several evenings with "Mini-Club."

The room wasn't fancy (like Disney, etc,), but it was enough space for the minis (3-6, I believe) & Juniors (7-?). There was a small outdoor area with a Smurf themed slide & teeter totter.

The staff was FANTASTIC!!! They were so engaged with the kids. Most activities were in 30 minute blocks (arts & crafts, games, etc). There were a few activities that involved screen time, but it was minimal. They'd paint their faces and take them to the shows each evening. One evening they even had them dance on stage before the show. They also took them to dinner at the buffet in the evenings (there was even a kid's corner for them with kid friendly foods).

On sea days, they'd close from 12:30 to 2:30 and 4-6, but on port days they were open 9 am - 11 pm. There were options for later stays for a fee. Parents of small children could also rent a phone or pager for the week.

The staff for the children's program was definitely a highlight of the cruise!

A few side notes....

The minimum age for the water slide is 9 years old. This was frustrating for DD who has done her share of waterslides, but since it is off by itself it wasn't too hard to avoid.

There were 3 pools--1 called Aqua Park, 1 that could be indoor or outdoor and an infinity type pool in the back of the ship. At the Aqua Park they had what they called a Children's Pool. It was 3 areas (surrounding the actual pool area) of water 2-3 inches deep. There were jets/sprayers that were never on the entire cruise. On Day 5 we were informed by ship staff that children were only allowed in the splash type area--not in any of the pools. I'm not talking about diapered children (DD is fully potty trained). While the signage only referred to diapered children and that children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult, pool management & reception repeatedly stated that MSC's policy is that no children (potty trained included) are allowed in any pools other than the designated children's pool (not at all a pool)--even if accompanied by an adult. I asked to see this policy in writing, but they were never able to provide it. Enforcement of this "policy" (as well as no diapered children in any water area) seemed to be very sporadic.

DD had a wonderful time overall & I'd highly recommend the children's program! However, the issues & confusion over swimming pool policies definitely put a damper on the overall experience.

Feel free to ask me any questions & I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks for review. I was actually looking at MSC to try Yacht Club, and was curious about the kids program. I think the water slide would be deal breaker for our son. He is only 5, and would not understand the age limitations...lol

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We also had a great experience with the kids club on Divina (and Poesia when she was here). Far superior to our experience on Carnival up to that point. The kids would not even stay in camp on Splendor at age 3, and would hardly leave camp on Poesia at 3-1/2. Divina is a substantial upgrade from Peosia, though not so much in the kids camp. In fact, it was largely the same staff between Peosia and Divina ~8 months apart.

That said, we were on Carnival Freedom this summer with the kids being 4-1/2, and that was head and shoulders above our prior experience with Carnival also. A combination of new Camp Ocean format, the recent physical upgrades, and the staff made it a much better experience.

Back to Divina: in Dec 2013 we also noticed the various jets were not on a good portion of the time. They were on at other times, and I think we eventually decided that it was an attempt to please 2 groups of pax. If they were claiming no kids in the pool on your cruise, maybe that is why they never turned them on. I agree with you that it is BS: our kids spent many hours in the pool with the retracting roof. And many other kids were in there as well.

As I recall, the kids water slide was outside/next to the arcade area. We didn't search hard, but I thought it was only accessible via the teen club. As you say, it should be easy to avoid unless they've taken down the walls surrounding it on the pool level. Unlike other ships, it really is easy to miss unless you go hunting for it, or are exploring the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

On Day 5 we were informed by ship staff that children were only allowed in the splash type area--not in any of the pools. I'm not talking about diapered children (DD is fully potty trained). While the signage only referred to diapered children and that children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult, pool management & reception repeatedly stated that MSC's policy is that no children (potty trained included) are allowed in any pools other than the designated children's pool (not at all a pool)--even if accompanied by an adult. I asked to see this policy in writing, but they were never able to provide it. Enforcement of this "policy" (as well as no diapered children in any water area) seemed to be very sporadic.

:eek: Oh my, that is a 100% deal breaker. No kids? Really, not even teens?! Absurd.

A fellow passenger said he thought he heard there was a minimum age of 6 or 9 for the pools, but I have yet to find anything in writing about this "policy." Ironically, they promote their children sail free promotion...sail free, but can't swim??

Thanks for posting your experience! We're booked on Divina for Feb 28th with a 4 and a 5 year old so I was curious to know what others thought about the kids' club . :) Do you know if they stayed in the kids club area all the time or did they do other activities around the ship?

Thanks for posting your experience! We're booked on Divina for Feb 28th with a 4 and a 5 year old so I was curious to know what others thought about the kids' club . :) Do you know if they stayed in the kids club area all the time or did they do other activities around the ship?

They definitely do other activities around the ship. I know they went to the sports courts some. They took them to the shows every night (they even had them dance on stage one night before the show). There were some family dance parties in one of the lounges & they did some "parades" around the ship.

They even take them to the kids corner of the buffet for dinner too.

If they are out of the club, there will be a sign on the door saying where they are.

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Already-Booked/Mini-Juniors-Club-Signup-Form.aspx

Check out the MSC online kids club registration form. They have a spot to check to give permission for kids 7 and older to swim in the adult pools.

Saw this on the MSC board and find it even more confusing. Seems to indirectly be saying that kids under 7 are not permitted in pools. :confused:

Saw this on the MSC board and find it even more confusing. Seems to indirectly be saying that kids under 7 are not permitted in pools. :confused:

I think that is related to the kids camp having permission to take them to the pool. Totally unrelated to parent-supervised pool time.