Special section for Europe?

Why would we need a special section for Europe? Our disabilities are the same regardless of where we are from and our needs are the same regardless of where we are going. Over time information has been posted on this thread for various European ports. Ideal would be a complete listing of all ports and what HC accommodations are available.

I do extensive research where ever we travel. That includes the U.S.A. Many facilities on the east coast are grand-fathered in as “historic” thus does not have to comply with ADA. Even the metro system in Boston was questionable. And there is a corner on Broadway (downtown Manhattan, NYC), where there is not any cutout.

In my opinion, the biggest problem may be the lack of searching for information. Too many just look at the first page and do not see their answers so they ask a general question. If they could not find any information by doing a specific search, then ask the question. Most of us that have been there and done that will try to answer their questions.

For the Americans traveling to Europe, I would recommend that you carry your HC placard. Some places do require documented proof of disability and mobile devices are not adequate. The HC placard worked for us. .

Betty

Hi,

I think it would be a good idea to have a European section.

There are different interpretations of the varied disability laws within EU countries and even cultural differences.

I have found on my many trips to USA that there are things that have caught me off guard as things are handled completely different to the UK, sometimes to the better and sometimes to the worse and vice versa.

Pete

Hi,

I think it would be a good idea to have a European section.

There are different interpretations of the varied disability laws within EU countries and even cultural differences.

I have found on my many trips to USA that there are things that have caught me off guard as things are handled completely different to the UK, sometimes to the better and sometimes to the worse and vice versa.

Pete

I agree. One of the reasons I hesitate going on a European cruise is because I always heard that they are not disability-friendly, and I need a scooter due to pain when walking and have difficulty doing stairs. I also would be interested in a European section for the disabled.

I agree. One of the reasons I hesitate going on a European cruise is because I always heard that they are not disability-friendly, and I need a scooter due to pain when walking and have difficulty doing stairs. I also would be interested in a European section for the disabled.

I think you have a total misconception of Europe. It is true that many, many of the structures are not wheelchair accessible for a very practical reason. To modify them would ruin an historical item. Putting an elevator in a 400 year old building is not a simple project. Likewise, in the United States, our older buildings that are registered as a “historical” building do not have to meet ADA standards. Even though I would thoroughly enjoy seeing some of these buildings, I would rather they be preserved for all.

In Europe, most the public transportation (city buses, trams, metros and trains) are now accessible. However, it is wise to verify this fact for each town you may visit. All you have to do is search the internet for the appropriate service. Each service probably has limitations. Not all stops are accessible and there may be restrictions in regards to the type of mobile device. Services in London do not like large mobility scooters. Private tours are a different world. If you find a private tour in a foreign country, it is not going to be cheap. If you are just looking for private transportation and cannot find a taxi, consider a medical transportation company.

Each country may have its own quirks. In Amsterdam, the locals do not want us in the bicycle lanes.. and at the speed they go, we do not belong there. Yet in Copenhagen, it was not a problem and in New York City a police officer told us to ride in the bicycle lane.

As far as communications with different parts of the world or different cultures, there is always going to be barriers. Just get down to the simplest and most basic way of explaining your needs.

I once book a HC room in a hotel in Lisbon. When we arrived, I took one look at the building and knew there was a problem. On the assumption there may be another entrance, I climbed the stairs entering the building and the second flight getting to the elevator which took me to the lobby. Well, since they had an elevator, they assumed they met the HC qualifications. Fortunately, we found a different accessible hotel. Ever since that little incident, I ask if we can roll all the way from the street into our room. Something everyone understands. When they tell me they have a small elevator, I give them the dimensions of our scooters. Details, details, details...the little things that make the big differences.

Now maybe I have a misconception of what your desires are in regards to a “European” section. Cruise Critic already has a section for Europe ports of call, which is not over-active. Most of us have posted specific information in this section since the subject is specifically for the disabled. The problem I see it the lack of specifics when a person inquires. In stead of asking about specific ports, they will ask about the Baltic or the Mediterranean. It is the same problem with the Caribbean. If each would ask about a specific port (i.e., separate inquiry for each port), we would eventually create a great library that everyone could use and benefit from. Even now if you do a search for specific ports, you may find a thread with information you are seeking.

Betty

Britany, as Editor of the site after positive interest in a mention about setting up a European disabled cruise section from a previous post by members, could we have a European section? The information in such a section would help both European and American cruisers because there are differences in requirements between the ADA, & DDA as well as different destinations..

Britany, a reply would be appreciated. Thanks

The idea of a European disabled section is so that the very things that you have said raindropsalways could be easily found by disabled people who are traveling around Europe regardless of where they live and I can't understand why any disabled person would have any objection to trying out this idea.

My problem is not with the idea of Europe, it is with the exclusion of the rest of the world. As I stated earlier:

If each would ask about a specific port (i.e., separate inquiry for each port), we would eventually create a great library that everyone could use and benefit from. Even now if you do a search for specific ports, you may find a thread with information you are seeking.

What is wrong with posting the information under “Disabled Cruise Travel” as many of us have been doing for years?

Betty

Hi Betty ,for as the name suggests it would be a section for all disabled cruisers whilst crusing in Europe to pick up info, tips etc;that are different to the existing disabled section that primary covers the U.S. market and vise versa(but still retaining it).It was meant as a suggestion to give extra and wider help to all disabled cruisers.Thanks

Hi Betty ,for as the name suggests it would be a section for all disabled cruisers whilst crusing in Europe to pick up info, tips etc;that are different to the existing disabled section that primary covers the U.S. market and vise versa(but still retaining it).It was meant as a suggestion to give extra and wider help to all disabled cruisers.Thanks

I hope things will work out as you envision it.

Betty

• 2 weeks later...

I guess if anyone has no interest in a section about Europe they don't need to click on it and take a look. Simple as that.

Europe is a big, disparate place and too often the answer to any question is a quote about ADA, as if American law was somehow applicable worldwide.

Not long ago, on a different thread there was a very confused discussion about Cartegena (which we'd just visited in Spain with Cunard) but some folks and maybe also the OP were referring to the one in Columbia (where my nephew lives).

Yes please. A disabled Europe thread as a sticky would be a great idea.

totally agree! My DH is more and more scooter dependent. We are doing our 4th Med cruise and I think a European section would be quite helpful.

My problem is not with the idea of Europe, it is with the exclusion of the rest of the world. /QUOTE]

If they get around to it, I'm sure they will start one for the Carribean, South America, Asia and Australia/New Zealand.

I had the experience of asking about Peru and got an answer about St Maarten. One poster mentioned Cartagena (Spain) and got an snswer aabout Catragena, Columbia.

So having a geographical section such as Europe has its merits

Hi cruisers, it seems to be a positive response from both sides of the pond towards a European disabled section,which as most have suggested would help to differentiate between the the ADA & DDA disability codes and provide more information to disabled cruisers in the the European area .

Would it be possible for a member of managment of the site to respond to the request for setting up a European Section ? Many thanks.