Where to eat Bison, Moose and Caribu in Alaska

crazy4bama

We will be in leaving from Vancouver Wed, May 27, heading north with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway and then taking the train up to McKinley, Denali and Fairbanks. Can anyone tell me if we can get good Caribu, Moose or Bison at any of these stops and what restaurant? Trying to eat different things while we are there.

We will be in leaving from Vancouver Wed, May 27, heading north with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway and then taking the train up to McKinley, Denali and Fairbanks. Can anyone tell me if we can get good Caribu, Moose or Bison at any of these stops and what restaurant? Trying to eat different things while we are there.

You probably won't find moose and a lot caribou. Bison you'll have to ask in the area who has some. It usually comes as hamburger and not steak. The meat is usually mixed with beef or pork or both.

You can find caribou in Vancouver without much difficulty, moose with a bit of luck, and bison is common all year round. Salmon & Bannock is one of my favourite restos, native-owned, and always has bison steaks as well as burgers and some other seasonal game. Right now they're doing elk burgers (elk=moose, just as caribou=reindeer) too.

As K50 mentioned, it's most common to find lean game meat in sausages or burgers because frankly it's too dang easy to overcook it as a steak. Mixing some fattier beef in with bison, or pork in with the deer species, makes for a much easier-to-cook product as well as padding out the pricier meat.

Wildebeest is another good source for rarer animals - if there's anywhere in town likely to have bison tartare or carpaccio, this would be the place. Assuming you can tolerate raw/barely seared meat, this is by far the best way to appreciate the lean game meats.

Checking the menu I see right now that they're doing a smoked elk prosciutto on their charcuterie board, bison carpaccio, and a seared venison dish - I may have to go out for dinner there tomorrow before the menu changes!

Edited by martincath

The Sandpiper Cafe in Juneau usually has exotic meat burgers on the menu. The only bad part is that their selection seems to be constantly changing. You could probably try to call there when you get into town to see what they have that day or you can walk in and see. Their exotic burger selection is usually written on the chalkboards (one in front by the kitchen, and one in back)

Neither moose nor caribou are commercially harvested in Alaska (hunting is for personal use), but reindeer sausage is readily available, and offered in a number of restaurants and food carts. Specifically in Fairbanks, the Pump House restaurant periodically features musk ox or reindeer, so either call or check their website for a current menu.

We got back on Friday from hitting the same ports (except Vancouver). Didn't see moose, bison, or caribou anywhere. We looked at numerous restaurants suggested on here too

Moose and Caribou are very rare to find for sale. Both are considered to be wild game versus farm raised venision.

Both bison and deer are farm raised in parts of BC , Alberta , Alaska and the Yukon.

Is Salmon & Bannock located anywhere near the port in Vancouver or near the Robson St. area?

Sounds like a place I would like to try :).

It is located on Broadway near Granville. There are buses that will take you there . A taxi would cost about $15 dollars each way.

No , not near to Robson Street.

Is Salmon & Bannock located anywhere near the port in Vancouver or near the Robson St. area?

Sounds like a place I would like to try :).

Transit routes from Canada Place and Empire Landmark Hotel (odds are good your hotel will be somewhere between these two if it's near Robson). 25-40mins depending on route & time of day, $2.75 cash fare by transit. It's also less than a mile, but with one steep hill, on foot from Granville Island.

A few days ago we ate at the 49th State Brewery whiles trying at the Denali Princess lodge and they had Alaskan yak burgers. And really good beer. There's a shuttle you can take for $10 that will take you to the brewery.

A few days ago we ate at the 49th State Brewery whiles trying at the Denali Princess lodge and they had Alaskan yak burgers. ....

The yak meat sold in Alaska is from domesticated farmed yak. While I am sure that there are other yak farms in the state, there is a farm in the Delta area of Interior Alaska which raises domesticated yak.