Flying with a TravelScoot Li-Ion lithium battery

b7440

I have had a TravelScoot with the Li-Ion Lithium battery for a couple of years, we are thinking of going to London next year, and I have started to look for the proper doucementation for the battery, and what use to be on thir site is now gone and they have a link to a government site.

Has anyone had any problem flying with the Li-Ion Lithium battery recently? We are looking to fly on either United, Delta, or Lufthansa?

Thank you for your help.

To the best of my knowledge, any Li-ion battery installed in a device is fine for air travel as checked baggage. TSA does not allow loose batteries of this type in checked baggage. So, unless you are taking a spare battery, you should be fine.

I remove my battery from the Travelscoot and carry it on in the insulated travel bag from Travelscoot. It goes under the seat in front of me and the scooter is gate checked.

Marlee

I flew to London last summer on American. I have a travelscoot with the lithium battery. I checked the scooter without the battery. The battery went in the insulated bag and was carried on the plane. American has a special assistance department where you can set up wheelchair assistance for the airports and they also give out information about batteries.

I have had a TravelScoot with the Li-Ion Lithium battery for a couple of years, we are thinking of going to London next year, and I have started to look for the proper doucementation for the battery, and what use to be on thir site is now gone and they have a link to a government site.

Has anyone had any problem flying with the Li-Ion Lithium battery recently? We are looking to fly on either United, Delta, or Lufthansa?

Thank you for your help.

I also have a Travelscoot and drive it right up to the door of the plane and remove the battery and bring it with me on the plane. I always advise the airline of the Travelscoot when I make my booking. I give the dimensions and battery info (as stated in the booklet you get with the Travelscoot). Never had any problems with any of the airlines. It's wise to advise them ahead of time so they know you are bringing it and can allow for the space in the cargo hold.

Wendy

My sister has flown with her scooter many times. She gate checks the scooter and never takes the battery onto the plane with her. She always leaves it on the scooter (she has a Luggie). She's never had any issues.

My sister has flown with her scooter many times. She gate checks the scooter and never takes the battery onto the plane with her. She always leaves it on the scooter (she has a Luggie). She's never had any issues.

Not sure if the airline request that we remove the battery but I would do it anyway. The Travelscoot does not have a key so if it was turned on accidentally while in the hold of the plane the battery could be dead by the time the plane lands and I would not be able to use it. So it's safer for me to disconnect the battery and keep it with me.

Wendy

To the best of my knowledge, any Li-ion battery installed in a device is fine for air travel as checked baggage. TSA does not allow loose batteries of this type in checked baggage. So, unless you are taking a spare battery, you should be fine.

The Travelscoot Lithium-Ion battery is not the same as loose Lithium-Ion batteries. Under no situation are large (Travelscoot size) Lithium-Ion batteries allowed in the cargo hold of commercial airlines. Federal regulations differentiates between different size Lithium batteries.

Does she have a Lithium-Ion battery or a Lead Acid battery? Two different ways of handling them.

This for all the good info, has anyone taken 2 batteries on board?

Actually I take 3 on board the plane because my late wife and I both have a Travelscoot. Plus we had a spare between us.

I have a satchel that not only do I put the 3 Travelscoot batteries but my Oxygen Concentrator also uses Lithium-Ion batteries so I carry 3 for it. While the O2 uses smaller batteries (about half the size of the Travelscoot Lithium-Ion), 6 batteries are pretty hefty. The second time I went to Rome I used a Respironic EverGo that took 2 Lithium-Ion batteries. I had a total of 11 batteries for the O2 alone.

Edited by born2cruize

Google "Elizabeth's Travelscoot"....she has a wonderful blog that has many years of Travelscoot info including what you are asking for.....I keep with my TS a printout of the battery info and have never had a problem....the blog includes MANY other owners of TS suggestions, information etc . There also is a recent Facebook page from Elizabeth with world wide membership including some from London....you will be amazed at the info contained on both of these sites!!!