Baths via ferry or direct? Which trip would you choose?

BermudaBound2014

NCL Getaway is in port from 7-3. Which would you choose and why?

Option 1: $72.00 tour. The traditional ferry, to taxi, to top of baths for the "U" shaped hike. 4.5 hours. I've done this before, my boyfriend hasn't. Pluses: cheaper and a longer excursion to see a bit more of virgin gorda. Minuses: Crowded with no real time to snorkel.

Option 2: $104.00. A boat (not catamaran, more like a dive boat so nothing fancy) meets on cruise ship pier and you go directly to the baths. Jump in, swim/snorkel to beach; walk the baths to devils bay. Swim/snorkel back to the boat. Pluses: I think we may miss some of the crowds because this tour leaves at the same time at option 1 but goes straight to the baths. Minuses: slightly more expensive and less time/no land viewing.

I'm looking into Option 3: A non-ncl sail with Joe (Patuchue) but I'm not sure if he can work with our new NCL time in port (7-3), and the description on the web pags includes a lunch at a beach bar which isn't something we are all that interested in.

Which would you choose and why? TIA

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I am also going to be on the Getaway from 7-3 in Tortola and have been researching how to do The Baths. I believe you can just walk to the dock and take a boatride to The Baths on your own for less than either your A or B options. This is what I plan on doing.

Option #2 for sure! Avoids that walk down the hill. ;)

It's the up hill on the way back that's more of a problem ;)

I've only sailed in on my other trips there & am also trying to decide what to do. I'm leaning toward the ferry/ bus option simply because at my now advanced age:D I think I want easy access to the small creature comforts I'll take with me.

It's the up hill on the way back that's more of a problem ;)

I've only sailed in on my other trips there & am also trying to decide what to do. I'm leaning toward the ferry/ bus option simply because at my now advanced age:D I think I want easy access to the small creature comforts I'll take with me.

HA :). I do remember thinking the walk back up the hill was quite hot too!

Do you mind sharing who you've sailed in with on your other trips? Did you beat the crowds?

Moopig: I have looked into that option as well but I'm unsure about the ferry schedule on the return. What are you planning?

TIA :)

HA :). I do remember thinking the walk back up the hill was quite hot too!

Do you mind sharing who you've sailed in with on your other trips? Did you beat the crowds?

Moopig: I have looked into that option as well but I'm unsure about the ferry schedule on the return. What are you planning?

TIA :)

I lived in St Thomas, so we often rented a sailboat & go to St John or Virgin Gorda or Jost Van Dyke. Tortola was not a big cruise destination in the old days.:D I can't give any suggestions for vendors.

It doesn't look as though the return ferry will allow much more time than NCL. You would have to take the 12:40 ferry. I think I'll do the NCL excursion & have time for a painkiller at Pussers & a stop a Caribee spice before I get back on the ship.

Did you not have time to snorkel or enjoy the beach when you went with NCL before?

This is my first eastern Caribbean cruise. I figure I've been away long enough.

Last time I was in Tortola it was with HAL. We did not bring snorkeling gear with us and it wasn't included in the tour. We had plenty of time to walk down, do the path, with some time at Devils bay for swimming. Had we brought our own snorkeling gear we could have done a bit of snorkeling too. You'd know better than me, but I think they rent snorkeling gear on one side of the Baths, so you'd have to work against the people traffic if you needed to rent for an hour or so. Have fun!!

Hi, we missed out on the Baths last year as the ship couldn't drop anchor. However I am really up for it this time; BUT the P&O excursion info rambles on about hiking up hills (and down dales, no doubt!) and this concerns me. I have just had hip surgery and am recovering well (just to be clear, I was VERY young to be having hip surgery!). I am in excellent health otherwise and have returned to my beloved cycling already. But the thigh muscle is weaker and walking any distance remains a chore. My physiotherapy will obviously help improve matters over the next few months but my question is: Does anyone know if there is another route to the Baths? By sea for instance?

TIA

Hi, we missed out on the Baths last year as the ship couldn't drop anchor. However I am really up for it this time; BUT the P&O excursion info rambles on about hiking up hills (and down dales, no doubt!) and this concerns me. I have just had hip surgery and am recovering well (just to be clear, I was VERY young to be having hip surgery!). I am in excellent health otherwise and have returned to my beloved cycling already. But the thigh muscle is weaker and walking any distance remains a chore. My physiotherapy will obviously help improve matters over the next few months but my question is: Does anyone know if there is another route to the Baths? By sea for instance?

TIA

Yes, many cruise lines also offer a sail in, snorkel excursion & there are many private vendors that would offer this, depending on what your port time is.

Take a look at some of the videos on youtube to get an idea. There is a lot of scrambling thought the boulders than can be done, but just walking & swimming around & through some of the Baths are a kick. The path to Devils bay is lovely & less difficult of a walk if I remember correctly.

Just to piggy back on what Harp stated. Yes, you can get to the Baths by boats, but I read that boats are no longer doing dry landings due to crowds. They anchor off shore and you swim/snorkel in. Doesn't look to be a terribly long distance. I do think swimming in would be less physical than walking up and down the hill if I just had surgery, but some people make the trek up and down seem ominous and I didn't find it all THAT difficult. Hot yes but it's not the type of hike that you'd want an air mask at the top :).

Thanks HarpHarp and BermudaBound, very helpful info, both. YouTube is a great idea as I will be able to make a better assessment of the trekking/swimming etc. The cruise line has made the excursion by land appear to require Herculean effort, but they are possibly being extremely cautious! Will check out YouTube later. Thanks!

The self-excursion is always the preferred option in both St Thomas and Tortola because that gives you the maximum time at your destination as well as the utmost flexibility. For the Baths the cost is $38pp for the ferry/taxi round trip (unless you take Speedy's to VG and Smith's back to get more time there then the cost is $48). You can go to Spring Bay instead of or prior to the Baths to avoid the bigger crowd. No option will let you avoid that because you're all on the same schedule.

But the cat is a very nice experience and Joe (at Patouche) will reply to your email inquiries about the timing. With only 8 hrs in port I doubt he's available but ya don't know if ya don't ask.

The small boat from the dock is a riskier option (read past reviews) and the swim into shore can be extremely difficult on rougher days due to the undercurrents.

Just to piggy back on what Harp stated. Yes, you can get to the Baths by boats, but I read that boats are no longer doing dry landings due to crowds. They anchor off shore and you swim/snorkel in. Doesn't look to be a terribly long distance. I do think swimming in would be less physical than walking up and down the hill if I just had surgery, but some people make the trek up and down seem ominous and I didn't find it all THAT difficult. Hot yes but it's not the type of hike that you'd want an air mask at the top :).

Boats will moor off shore, and the swim in can be challenging for those of us who are not excellent swimmers. On very calm days it's not a problem, just depends on the weather. The walk to the Baths and back to the Top is not strenuous, just uphill on the rerturn.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone who helped us decide. Patouche never responded so I'm assuming he's booked or the port time is too limited for him. After reading all the reviews about swimming into the baths, we elected to go with the ship tour. I consider myself an excellent swimmer but my partner is not as confident. Some of the reports indicate a very strong current and limited visibility depending on the wind. I figure it would be safer to just hike down. Ironically I didn't find much difference in price booking via the ship verses doing it on our own, and based on what I can tell, the ship is guaranteeing we'll be on the first ferry (they may even have chartered that first ferry). I'll be sure to report back our experiences. Thanks again, you all are so helpful :).

The self-excursion is always the preferred option in both St Thomas and Tortola because that gives you the maximum time at your destination as well as the utmost flexibility. For the Baths the cost is $38pp for the ferry/taxi round trip (unless you take Speedy's to VG and Smith's back to get more time there then the cost is $48). You can go to Spring Bay instead of or prior to the Baths to avoid the bigger crowd. No option will let you avoid that because you're all on the same schedule.

But the cat is a very nice experience and Joe (at Patouche) will reply to your email inquiries about the timing. With only 8 hrs in port I doubt he's available but ya don't know if ya don't ask.

The small boat from the dock is a riskier option (read past reviews) and the swim into shore can be extremely difficult on rougher days due to the undercurrents.

Do the Speedy and Smith ferries leave from near the cruise ship pier? Thanks.

Reporting Back.

We ended up taking the NCL tour because we wanted to secure spots on a 7:30 ferry to Virgin Gorda. The ferry picked us up and dropped us off right at the cruise pier. When we got to Virgin Gorda we were transported by open safari taxi's to the Baths. We had plenty of time at the baths. I should have brought my snorkel gear. The only 'bad' thing I'd say about this tour is that the actual trail through the baths was crowded until we left the crowd behind us.

We debated about taking the tour that departed at 7:15 and sailed directly to the baths from the cruise ship dock (no need for land taxi) and in retrospect that one probably would have served us better. Those on the direct tour got to the baths before the masses (us) and were through the trail snorkeling by the time we got into the trail. The water was not at all rough and the current at devils bay was manageable on the day we visited.

I would positively recommend visiting the baths. I was there about 10 years ago and enjoyed it just as much this time. Beautiful!