2 Tampa Qs: hotel & return flight time

trish1c

We are relatively experienced cruisers.

Where should we be looking area / location wise for a hotel the night before? Clean & reasonably priced are the important features in that order. It's only 1 night & we won't even get there until about 11 pm.

How far is the cruise port from the AP? Flight choices on a Thursday coming home are noon or 3:11 p.m. I really don't want to hang around until three. Even if we had to be at the AP by 10 - 10:30 for the noon flight I think that's very do-able. We were literally the very last group off the last time we sailed out of San Juan; we got off the ship by 10 so unless the AP is more than an hour away I'm feeling pretty confident. But thought I'd ask someone who's been there & done that.

Thanks.

There is a Marriott, Hampton, and Embassy close to the port. TPA is about a 20 minute ride from the port. You should have no problem making a noon flight. Be aware that at certain times of the year the fog gets so thick that the ships have to wait outside the Sunshine Skyway Bridge until it lifts. From the bridge to port it takes the ship approx.two hours, and the fog sometimes doesnt lift until late morning or later.

With your late arrival I would search the area near the airport (Westshore) for a hotel. Taxi to the port should be about $25. Same fare should get you back to TPA after the cruise. I agree with the above - a noon flight will usually be fine.

Fog is an issue primarily during the winter months, especially Jan & Feb.

If you want a clean hotel with a good price the LaQuinta Tampa Airport would be a good choice. Their rates are very decent , It's right off airport property and in a safe area with a 24 hr IHOP adjacent. The hotel offers an airport shuttle and complimentary breakfast. There is a port shuttle for $10 pp, I believe, or a taxi would be apx 25.00.

Just my .02 worth but I would do self-assist debark , grab a porter and take a taxi to the airport for the earlier flight. *** the porter is well worth the few bucks tip in Tampa...they will whiz you through customs and hail you a cab. I've made an 11:30am flight out of Tampa doing the above. I was off the ship by 8:45 and having coffee at TIA by 9:30. This was without any port issues or delays. If there is a fog issue...everyone is going to have flight issues, even later one's. You should be fine with a Noon flt. time.

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr