Snorkelling at Little French Key

markwojo

I know there is lots and lots about LFK here, but it is a little bit of a case of information overload trying to find specific information.

What is the snorkeling like around the island itself without taking any additional tour excursion?

I have not been to Little French Key but one can see the sand in most places from Google Earth. I have snorkeled many places from the island and I find my favorite spots are along a bit of reef.

The Little French Key is on the windward side of the island, the reef is difficult to get to without a boat and the waves are going to be pushing you INTO the reef.

If snorkeling from the beach is the primarily goal l I would encourage you to choose a different location.

Spent many days at LFK when we lived in Roatan and the snorkeling is "meh". Far better snorkeling is to be found at WBB (West Bay Beach). We lived 10 minutes from LFK and 40 minutes from WBB and when we wanted to snorkel, down to WBB we went. LFK is fine for floating, enjoying tropical beverages but IMO that's about it. Very controversial now due to the damage they have done to the reef system.

• 1 month later...
Very controversial now due to the damage they have done to the reef system.

Are you able to elaborate on this statement? I've come up empty on my global searches so could really use your help. Links to info? Please understand I am not challenging your statement -- keep reading. ;)

The photos of this place are so appealing and it's still in my top 3 considerations for my Dec2015 cruise even though my gut all along has said 'stay away'. I would appreciate any information you and/or other CCers are willing to share regarding the controversy over the reef damage by this company.

And to the OP, markwojo I am finding the same results when questioning and/or researching snorkeling at LFK--whether it be walk-in or via boat. I don't get all the vague and/or non-existent answers to this simple snorkel question. :confused: The only concrete response I've seen came from Mitsugirly who did some kayak/snorkel off the shore. She has lots of nice trip reviews/photos in her signature. I personally am looking for an actual account of snorkeling at the reef LFK offers (optional) but as yet haven't found any info/photos. Good luck in your research and enjoy your next cruise! :)

You cannot snorkel from the shore at LFK. I went out on a short boat ride with their guide Ronnely to some amazing coral like I haven't seen in this hemisphere. It was comparable to what I saw in the south Pacific.

Ronnelly also spotted a lobster and an octopus so I got pictures of these creatures. I would not have seen them hidden or camoflauged on my own.