BEWARE of shady businesses!

travellovers2

We have a few comments. Pre paid non-cancellable hotel rates are quite common in both Europe and North America. Hotels also have rates that can be cancelled, but you will pay a higher price. This is not a rip-off but simply normal practice.

As to the transfer, if the OP did not specifically book the transfer then they should simply put that item into "dispute" with their credit card company.

Regarding bank account info, one might want to consider that you are giving essentially the same information that is contained on every personal check. So when you write out a check to anyone, you are giving them access to your banking info including things like the routing number, account number, and bank information. If you think there is harm in giving out bank/account details you should be sure to never write a check to anyone.

Hank

Hank - my hotel has so many different rate plans - some days there are more than 100 loaded, all with their own specific purchase, minimum stay, cancellation/changeability circumstances, amenity, etc. things that I have to take into account when quoting rates to potential guests. We have fully pre-paid rates that come with no cancellation/changes policies. We get a large percentage of guests on those rates because they are the least expensive. Having a base rate with a cancellation period is a bit more.

As far as the bank routing thing - I've done it several times with hotels in Europe. Never been ripped off or scammed yet when I've done that. Now, with a Credit Card - I have had it used fraudulently 3 times in my life, but all in the US…. You can always ask your banking institution how they would protect your transfer. Ask them what you should/should not give a vendor to get money from their account into yours.

I never book non-refundable space with a hotel I know nothing about. The only time I would consider it would be if I was going to be staying there within days. Any savings you make pales in view of the hassles you could face if you had to cancel. For me, at least, it is just not worth it.

I never book non-refundable space with a hotel I know nothing about. The only time I would consider it would be if I was going to be staying there within days. Any savings you make pales in view of the hassles you could face if you had to cancel. For me, at least, it is just not worth it.

When we are quoting non-refundable pricing, we always recommend the guest purchase trip insurance to cover the possibility of having to cancel. When someone is paying anywhere from $1500-$5,000/night for a week's stay, I couldn't see not paying for insurance. But, it's just like whether or not they want to "self insure" or not, like some cruisers do.

I had 2 more people call today and try to plead their case to get their money back from a pre-paid/non-refundable. I need to start keeping a list of the things people come up with to try to bypass the "rule" of the rate...

I think slidergirl turned this post into the stage for her rant about her customers.

The entire purpose of this post was to warn others that you should not give out your bank account information just because a shady business says that that is the only way to refund your money.

This post is about the EXTRA charge they made to my credit card for the transfer that was not part of the hotel rate, therefore, had nothing to do with the non-refundable rate.

Update: our credit card has been credited the amount that they charged after we put it on dispute.

Happy Travels Everyone!!

Edited by travellovers2

I think slidergirl turned this post into the stage for her rant about her customers.

The entire purpose of this post was to warn others that you should not give out your bank account information just because a shady business says that that is the only way to refund your money.

This post is about the EXTRA charge they made to my credit card for the transfer that was not part of the hotel rate, therefore, had nothing to do with the non-refundable rate.

Update: our credit card has been credited the amount that they charged after we put it on dispute.

Happy Travels Everyone!!

I'm pleased that you had a good outcome.